ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   Webers And Mikuni's (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/webers-mikunis-57/)

zacksz 01-25-2001 08:55 PM

Webers And Mikuni's

What info can everone give me on picking the proper ventri/jets for my car. Also what size carberators are the best performers for a z motor.
Zack
Zacksz@mobile.att.net
P.S. Any additinal info about webers and tuning tricks and tips would help alot.

rinyt 01-28-2001 11:21 AM

Re: Webers And Mikuni's

I've got the Webers on my '79. I don't know as much about the Mikunis - both are good carbs. More people run the Webers and it will be easier to get advice about them. From what I understand, the L28 engine is kind of on the border line between the Weber DCOE 40 and DCOE 45 setups. I'd recommend the 40's for mild engines and the 45's for all out race engines. You could probably infer the same about the Mikuni 40 and 44's.

I run the DCOE 40's with 34 mm venturis - the largest possible for those carbs. I also bought a book called "How to Build and Power Tune Weber and Dellorto DCOE and DHLA Carburetors" and found it very helpful. It gives guidance for jet selection and tuning. If you're feeling a little overwhelmed by the selection and variability of these carbs, this book will help break it down for you. It would have saved me some time if I would have bought that book it in the beginning instead of the next to worthless Haynes Weber manual.

GeorgeOZC 02-02-2001 11:41 AM

I've had weber/tuning experience with my Z for 24 yrs......always a touchy subject but here goes. The 40DCOE's were a good choice. You can actually get 36mm for those...I've tried them, have a spare set.
I settled on 34mm chokes.....for my 280 block (in a 73-240) with a decent cam & compression. 145main jets running under 200 air correctors. F16 emulsion tube. Idles? 55F9 or 60F9 (sensitive). Pump jets? around 50's or 60's. Aux Venture....has 4.5mm diam. Car runs a 14.5 quarter (2780lbs with me in it).
I'm running headers, fairly small exhaust tho (2" or so).....I think I still have some room for improvement, and question my 0.490/290 cam choice......I think it might be quicker in our typical rpm range with something like a 0.475/275 cam....and a 2.5" exhaust. Would help to know your setup or plans. Weither way....theses carbs are fun...and look great....infitely tunable :-)

Evanz 02-02-2001 09:11 PM

Okay heres the deal. I have freinds with both setups. Mikunis are a pain to get parts for i hear. Thats what i was told by my buddy who wants webbers now. Webbers are a great carb but beyond my capablities for tuning. I had a set and never put them on my car.

Evan

Well while i have it apart i might as well........

GeorgeOZC 02-03-2001 03:27 PM

Evan, you have a great looking Z! (photoalbum/site). The webers are not that big of a mystery to set up.
And....if you've got it apart......:-)

Evanz 02-04-2001 01:50 PM

Thanks george!

Thanks man, when people compliment my car i really do apreciate it and take it personally.

I actually decided to bail on webbers and go turbo. Else i would have used them. The problem is i have no access to jets etc, for proper tuning. nor does anyone around here! I just didnt have any local support to tune it properly.

Evan

PS i knew deep down that having the webbers wouldnt get me the HP numbers i was after.

GeorgeOZC 02-04-2001 03:21 PM

Re: Thanks george!

I envy the turbo option... Webers look really cool, tune fairly well...but the turbo just spools up the torque like nothing I've seen. Any chance you & your ride will make it to the big Z convention this yr? June 18-21 in Kingston, ONT?

Evanz 02-05-2001 07:09 PM

Funny you should mention that

Hey buddy its funny you should mention the convention Eh'. I really want to go and am going to do my best to make it up there with my car! Dude id love to meet up with you if i can pull off the trip!!!!

Evan

PS free rides in the car for all! LOL

GeorgeOZC 02-05-2001 07:52 PM

Re: Funny you should mention that

No problem Evan....would be neat. You'd likely run into some other folks you've met here too :-)