ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   Turn Signal woes (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/turn-signal-woes-41476/)

r2doesinc 03-13-2016 11:12 AM

Turn Signal woes

Having some issues and they have gotten progressively worse.

Originally, the turn signals had issues. They were slow to "tick" on and off, sometimes lit for a second or two before ticking back off, staying off for a second or two, then going back on, etc etc.I had some issues with one side not staying on, i would have to hold the stalk down to keep the left signals on.

Now, I no longer have any signals. Using the stalk, it doesnt lock into place - if that makes sense - and i get no lights on the dash, nor do i hear the ticking.

I tested some stuff today and I am still getting my hazards just fine on all but one light, so I know the lights are still good - at least most of them.

Im not sure if i should attack the relays or the turn signal switch next.

Electrical work is not my forte, I had planned on taking it in to have all these small issues dealt with, but I was recently laid off and find myself with a surplus of time, and not so much cash. Figured I should use some of it to at least attempt to get it fixed.

IS there a way to test the turn signal switch ti ensure its still working?

r2doesinc 03-13-2016 11:47 AM

Did some more dickering and im pretty sure its the turn signal switch.

After reading a lot more on the issue i started messing with the hazards along with the turn signals, and was able to get them to come back on again! The same issues I had before are back though, the left signal will tick on and stay on now, and it doesnt lock into place. Im hoping I dont have to replace the whole unit, going to take it apart today and clean it up and see if that doesnt help.

Skully 03-13-2016 11:52 AM

The flasher relay for hazards, and turn signals is separate (there is 2 of them), while your hazards work fine, the turn signal relay might be pooched, and vice versa.

r2doesinc 03-13-2016 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Skully (Post 343633)
The flasher relay for hazards, and turn signals is separate (there is 2 of them), while your hazards work fine, the turn signal relay might be pooched, and vice versa.

Right. The hazards relay is the smaller on tucked up higher, the turn signal one is the larger on closer to the firewall if im not mistaken.

I have the turn signals coming on again now, and the right turn signal works perfectly, so i think thats not the issue. The issues with the stalk position oare only for the left signal, and thats the only one im having issues with flashing as well. Going to follow this guide later today and get the unit cleaned up https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress....signal-repair/. Hopefully thats the only problem, if not then ill go back to the relays.

Steve260Z74 03-13-2016 12:17 PM

You should also look at this one: https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress....signal-switch/

Skully 03-13-2016 12:20 PM

Yeah, I had to take apart my stalk and clean, as you can see in that write-up be careful because there is spring and pivot ball in there. Another issue that I had was my steering wheel hub was cocked wrong, so when my steering wheel was straight, it would cancel the signal instantly. I had to re-cock the hub by 90 degrees so now I have to actually turn before the cancel mechanism touches. If that makes sense. I figured you would replace the relays before messing around with the steering column as a lot of plastics in there are dried out and its so easy to break things that are really hard to find.

r2doesinc 03-13-2016 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Skully (Post 343636)
Yeah, I had to take apart my stalk and clean, as you can see in that write-up be careful because there is spring and pivot ball in there. Another issue that I had was my steering wheel hub was cocked wrong, so when my steering wheel was straight, it would cancel the signal instantly. I had to re-cock the hub by 90 degrees so now I have to actually turn before the cancel mechanism touches. If that makes sense. I figured you would replace the relays before messing around with the steering column as a lot of plastics in there are dried out and its so easy to break things that are really hard to find.

Ya thats why I have been holding off. I figured if i take it in and they break it they can fix it! :P

I didnt see a writeup on how to take the stalk apart, do you have any tips or a guide? I havent gotten into it yet, so it may be easy and obvious once i take a look, but any info i can get ahead of time is appreciated.

r2doesinc 03-13-2016 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Steve260Z74 (Post 343635)

awesome, thanks man!

Skully 03-13-2016 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by r2doesinc (Post 343637)
Ya thats why I have been holding off. I figured if i take it in and they break it they can fix it! :P

I didnt see a writeup on how to take the stalk apart, do you have any tips or a guide? I havent gotten into it yet, so it may be easy and obvious once i take a look, but any info i can get ahead of time is appreciated.

Its pretty straight forward...I did it 2 years ago so its shady in the memory, but I don't remember anything is out of the ordinary, but just have to be careful, lots of delicate parts that you can mess up easily.

r2doesinc 03-13-2016 02:31 PM

Well then, found part of the problem already. As soon as I got the plastics off a bent little piece of metal that was broken off came falling out.

Do you know what this pieces function is?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevej...7634602344048/

Skully 03-13-2016 02:55 PM

That is the ground for the horn, it rubs on the back of the steering wheel plate.

r2doesinc 03-13-2016 03:07 PM

Fair enough, the horn never worked and when i got her back again from PO i noticed the horns were removed lol.

Wll, cleanup has gone well, time to put it all back together.

r2doesinc 03-13-2016 03:40 PM

Put it all back together and not really much o a difference. I fixed the lock and release mechanism, but the left turn signal still just sticks on. Got the relay pulled and am in the process of finding a replacement for it.

Steve260Z74 03-14-2016 05:15 AM

I do have spare turn signal switches if you need a replacement. Let me know, and I can get you pricing.

r2doesinc 03-14-2016 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Steve260Z74 (Post 343645)
I do have spare turn signal switches if you need a replacement. Let me know, and I can get you pricing.

Thanks. Im waiting on replacement relays now. I think that should fix things for me.

Steve260Z74 03-14-2016 06:12 PM

You wouldn't happen to have LED bulbs for your turn signals, would you? LED bulbs and old thermal flasher relays don't work well together because there isn't enough current flow to heat up the bimetal strip in the thermal flasher relay.

r2doesinc 03-14-2016 06:31 PM

Heard about that, but no, all normal lights.

Im running into something else super weird, but i think unrelated.

I found the green and white wire that powers allt he turn signals. i see where it splits to three wires to go to the front and side passenger lights, then across to the drivers side.

With hazards on, I see the current at the front turn signal jump to 5-6v every tick, and the light comes on. On the side signal, i see it jump to maybe .3-.5v every tick, and its not enough to power the light,

Interestingly enough, I ALSO only see about .3-.5 at the main wire before the three way split. How the hell does it have more juice about a foot down the line!?

Im thinking of just splicing the power for the side into the front signal, itd be weird, but it would work.

Steve260Z74 03-14-2016 06:36 PM

How about fixing it right instead of hacking up the wiring harness? The circuit is broken down in the FSM.

r2doesinc 03-14-2016 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Steve260Z74 (Post 343650)
How about fixing it right instead of hacking up the wiring harness? The circuit is broken down in the FSM.

To fix it right i would run a new power line from where it branches at the three way split. Unfortunately at the three way split Im not getting enough power. Again, I dont know how, because the other lines off that three way split are getting the full voltage needed to flash the light.

r2doesinc 03-14-2016 08:07 PM

Lol, well ive posted here before about issues with things the previous owner did, i spent about $1500 having a shop redo a ton of the wiring, but they didnt make their way down this far.

It looks like there is a short way down the line for the original turn signal power line. thats the one that now only carries .3-.5v when the turn signal ticks on. I think someone decided to run a whole new set of lines to the turn signals and just didnt get to passenger side signal tapped into that new line. Rather than removing the old line, they left it in and just left the ends plugged and hanging.

One of the three power lines that branch off of that original power line goes to the passenger side blinker and that one does not work. Another hangs right next to the plug that goes into the passenger front light. The plugs power line has been cut and there is another power line that runs all the way back to the main bundle off the fusible links. The last of the three split goes over to the drivers side somewhere, i assume terminates in an unused plug somewhere close to the drivers turn signal lights, but i will confirm that later tonight.

r2doesinc 03-15-2016 01:31 PM

Yeeeaaaaaah booooiiiiiiiiii!

New flasher relay came in today - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - and it works beautifully! Drivers side flashes perfectly.

After running a new line to the side passenger light, that now works too!

All my signal light issues are taken care of woohoo! I can finally drive this beezt around town, just not after it gets dark. Gotta get those rear running lights worked out before its safe for that.

Skully 03-15-2016 06:02 PM

Awesome man! Keep plucking at it :D.