ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   Totally Ignorant needs advice (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/totally-ignorant-needs-advice-3246/)

CEscaflowne 09-07-2002 09:09 PM

Totally Ignorant needs advice

Hi,
I state first-off that I am a total nOObie when it comes to Datson Zs, so excuse my ignorance. I'm interested in buying a '70's or early '80's Datsun Z, but am not sure quite what to look for. I'm sure there have been posts asking about the advantages of each model, but I am too lazy to look back over the billions and billions of posts on this forum lol.

Basically, I'm leaning towards a '81 to '83 ZX Turbo, since it will give me a fast base to start with. What I need to know are the comparative strengths and weaknesses in accelleration, handling, and ease of modification between 70's through early 80's models.
There's a catch to my situation: The base cost of the vehicle must be under $2500. Preferably, it should be under $1000. The reason for this is a joint project/competition between me and a few friends. Each of us buys a cheap car, then tunes it according to their wants. The limit is that the cost of the car and the modifications CANNOT exceed $2500.

If the car is not legally driveable (meaning safety and maintainence, like passing state inspection; not because it's a race-car) then the repair costs to pass inspection do NOT come out of the spending limit. If we buy a performance part to replace an inspection-failling part, the DIFFERENCE in price between the performance part and what a stock part would normally cost is counted towards the $2500 spending cap.

I want to keep the cost of the car low, which means it probably needs work, so I can tune it and use the repair clause to eat up some of the cost. We plan to do as much of the work as possible ourselves, in order to save money and get involved in a cool hobby.

Anyways, some things I've heard to look for with the Datsuns (other than the ever-present rust) are the suspension and ball joints. If anybody can tell me any other particular things to look out for, I'd appreciate it.

Thanx for any advice!

Escaflowne

"Time takes its crazy toll / Mirror fallin' off the wall /
You better watch out for the looking glass girl /
'Cause she's gonna take you for a fall..."

my78z 09-09-2002 11:15 AM

Re: Totally Ignorant needs advice

not sure what to tell you man im new to the datsun myself but i will say that sounds like a cool comp with your buddies wish all my buddies werent into the damn hondas maybe i could get them to try something like that good luck man

CrazyLotusTT 09-09-2002 03:34 PM

Dude, I have a car on craigslist.com under datsun right now for 2199. It is a 240z with a 280zx engine and racing cam. Lotsd of other mods. Needs a little work(exhaust leak, u joint) but runs a 13.8. That is going to beat almost anything with only 2500 invested. Check it out.

ca_zcar 09-09-2002 04:04 PM

I was reading about your car today. Any bites yet?

If you're looking for a cheap fast car, this is probably the way to go. There's something to be said for coming in last in your race, but having a really cool stock 240. I'd gladly come in last, and win in the "class" category.

nzz 09-09-2002 05:11 PM

That's the only category I would place in :-D lol