ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   Tapping/Clicking noise from engine bay?? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/tapping-clicking-noise-engine-bay-2843/)

Zpeed 08-07-2002 06:14 AM

Tapping/Clicking noise from engine bay??

hey guys

after i got a new fuel pump in the other day, i released a strange clicking, tapping noise coming from the engine bay, when acceleting under load, i can't source the sound if actaully come from the head or the headers, as it doesn't do it when the car is in neautrual and just reving the car, is a clicking/tapping noise normal for the extractors or you think its valves, or something engine wise..

<font color=blue>76 260z</font color=blue>
The NiteRider

Aristo 08-08-2002 01:08 AM

Re: Tapping/Clicking noise from engine bay??

Well, there's a few causes for this. First we go with the cheapest and easiest, check the level and condition of the oil; if it's low, fill it up, if it's excessively dirty change it. Second, still easy and pretty cheap, get a bottle of octane booster as it may be a ping from low octane fuel. After that I'd suggest you check valve clearances, engine, and ignition timing(<- not likely) and if it all checks out, then you're probably looking at a rod tapping and it needs to go to a shop before it gets too bad.

Zpeed 08-08-2002 01:38 AM

looks like its the ehaust gasket.. blew one of the holes.. damn.. hoping its just that.. and nothing else

The NiteRider

L0ki 08-08-2002 07:22 PM

they are a real pain in the ass if the extractors arent made right ... ihave blow out 4 of them !!!! make sure that the fat washes that go on the head studds are contacting the extractor mount as much as the inlet manifold one, you may have to put spacers in to stop them from being on an angle.

Zpeed 08-09-2002 05:34 AM

yer i have half the washer grinded so more presure is on the extractors.. iots a bitch... but i love the sound of the extractors.. hehe

The NiteRider

toecutter 08-09-2002 11:44 AM

yeah i did the same as zpeed, grinded half a side and took off about 4mm, but i think it still was'nt enough so i cut some other thick washers in half to act as additional spacers on the grinded ones which now seem to hold the old SU's manifold and extracors both quite firmly. I think u just gotta keep checkin to make sure they sit flush otherwise get used to changing that gasket.

L0ki 08-09-2002 07:14 PM

I HIGHLY dont reccomend the later idea!!!

Zpeed 08-10-2002 08:26 AM

what u mean LOKi, what have you done

The NiteRider

L0ki 08-10-2002 04:21 PM

toecutter said "....I think u just gotta keep checkin to make sure they sit flush otherwise get used to changing that gasket."

toecutter 08-12-2002 07:50 AM

Vearing off the topic a bit-I've bolted on my headers and waiting to get the rest fitted over the next few days. Being impatient I wanted to see the difference in power with the new 240 SU's and the headers I just added so i went for a quick drive through the local neighbourhood at about midnight tonight. I think the whole block woke up coz a few of the houses front lights lit up. Man that sucker was loud. Sounded like a drag car, hehe. Forgot to mention the car has no front end on it either,(ie bonnet, guards lights etc), putting that on tommorrw. I passed this kid on a push bike and from the terror stricken look on his face as i slowed to pass him i think he thought this is what the devil must drive coz he looked like he was gonna fall off his bike! hehehehe