ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   Screaching brakes - need helpful advice (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/screaching-brakes-need-helpful-advice-3268/)

joshua_77 09-09-2002 10:21 AM

Screaching brakes - need helpful advice

I just acquired a 77 280z a few months ago. I had the brakes (which were worn out) replaced when I got it. A few weeks later the brakes started screaching unmercifully. It was loud and high-pitched to the point of shattering glass (almost).

So I took the car back into the shop. Now, this shop is run by a great guy I've known for years so I know he's on the up-and-up. Anyway, he replaces them with the same type of factory-required pads but what he does is he shaves off angles of the ends of the pads and slices a line along it to let brake dust run out. Later that day, the screaching started again.

This time he replaced the pads with a different style. Seemed to work for about a week. Now the screaching is coming back. I can't figure out for the life of me what the heck the problem is!

I would greatly appreciate any advice someone could give me because the noise gets so loud I'm embarrased to drive the car around and a Z is not something you want to be ashamed of driving. Thanks very much for any wisdom you could pass along!

Joshua
Seattle, WA

rigez 09-09-2002 11:08 AM

Re: Screaching brakes - need helpful advice

Sounds like you need a new mechanic. Why would you want to modify brake pads that way. Take it back and don't pay for anymore of the work. Its all on him now.

AllmyZs 09-12-2002 07:08 AM

Did he turn the rotors and use the brake glue to help with the noise. My 78 use to screech like a banchie until I did those things now she is nice and quiet. But diffanatly go after the shop for the repair then never take it there again.

Gotta get my Z's

BoulderZ 09-12-2002 02:26 PM

Many mechanics don't realize that the anti-squeal shims (one for each of the two pads in each caliper) and the anti-squeal springs (again, one for each of the two pads in each caliper) are absolutely critical in that generation of brakes. They often deteriorate and go missing. On new cars you don't always have them so mechanics don't know they're missing unless they've got a real service manual for the car. Not their fault, they can't know the shim config for every car, and Z's just aren't that common in many areas. Even if they were there, you ought to replace them as their elasticity has probably diminished.
If he didn't turn the rotors (which should *always* be done when changing pads), then that *is* a rooky mistake. If you're really lucky, the rotors are too thin to turn and that's your excuse to get nice cross-drilled or slotted aftermarket rotors.
It's also possible the caliper is worn enough that the springs and shims don't sit tightly anymore. Then you could get the toyota 4-piston upgrade calipers. Or throw the whole mess out and get a Wilwood upgrade kit :)
good luck,
Dave

Aristo 09-14-2002 01:53 AM

Also possible you have a bad bearing. If you get a little wobble when applying the brakes, have them checked.

Cbigsix59 09-26-2002 04:01 PM

If you really want to get rid of the brake squealing I would suggest you first check the rotors, calipers, shims, and anti-rattle pins. All brake pads are not created equally. You have the cheap one and the good ones. You are not the first person's z-car that has brake squeal. I had it, you have, and some others have it.Solution: the above and "Axxis Original Deluxe High Performance Pads". If you have a Advance Auto Parts Store near you they have them or can order them for you. Better yet you can vist either website and get your answers. This is a pretty good pad for your application (car).