240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

opportunity to buy 240z

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 02:40 PM

opportunity to buy 240z

I have an opportunity to buy a 240z, with an automatic transmission. According to the owner it's a 70 or 71 low number vehicle. He didn't really know that much about it. He said it was his mothers favorite car. It's been sitting for 15 years. I'm going to look at it on Saturday. Any advice? They want $3500 for it.

Is this the best place for this type of advice, or shold I check out another place ? where ?
Old 02-01-2019, 04:51 PM

Yeah, this is a good place if you can get the pros here moving. They know a lot about older Zs and can give you great info. Repost if you haven't gotten their attention.

Also check the archives here. Lots of posts on your exact questions. Take the time to find and read them. You are not the first with these questions.

Two parts of your post do not seem to fit together. "Sitting for 15 years" and "$3500." It has been "sitting" for a reason, maybe a real bad one. So, are you looking for a museum piece or a daily driver? Or something else? You are not crazy enough to spend those bucks on a Z you have not driven. The auto trans may be a real downer here. So figure out what you need in a Z and feel free to pass this one up. Post your good fotos of it here with the mileage and price. You will get mucho input. And, by all means, go there and check it out in person, over, under and through. Bring your battery and charging cables.

If it cannot be driven now (yet), offer less than half of the asking. That would be still taking a big chance. You pay for the tow/carrier back to your shop, I guess. Carry it, don't tow.

Good luck! and welcome to ZDriver~

Last edited by zxguy1986; 02-01-2019 at 05:12 PM. Reason: I ferget
Old 02-01-2019, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
Yeah, this is a good place if you can get the pros here moving. They know a lot about older Zs and can give you great info. Repost if you haven't gotten their attention.

Also check the archives here. Lots of posts on your exact questions. Take the time to find and read them. You are not the first with these questions.

Two parts of your post do not seem to fit together. "Sitting for 15 years" and "$3500." It has been "sitting" for a reason, maybe a real bad one. So, are you looking for a museum piece or a daily driver? Or something else? You are not crazy enough to spend those bucks on a Z you have not driven. The auto trans may be a real downer here. So figure out what you need in a Z and feel free to pass this one up. Post your good fotos of it here with the mileage and price. You will get mucho input. And, by all means, go there ans check it out. Bring your battery and charging cables.

Good luck! and welcome to ZDriver~

I wouldn't try to start it. After 15 years the fuel is bad, so I can't start it without a bunch of work. I know nothing about Z's other than I always thought they were nice cars. Your post is important to me. I didn't know if the response would be like yours or "you better jump on this". So, you've slowed me down. I'll go look, take some pictures and report back. Any additinal comment, please help out.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:36 PM

Yeah, you are catching on. The 240s are Nissan's great (original) entry into the US sports car market. The Datsun/Nissan 240z made a real splash and Nissan's continued (subsequent) excellence in small, peppy, sporty cars made their reputation in the market. We love our Zs, still through to today. Impressed by the Japanese attention to detail, exceptional assembly quality - and their dedication to using first-rate parts throughout the vehicle. Many of the Zs after the 240 are like miracles. I have less experience with the 240s. But what an impact they had! SO you are looking at a (still) beautiful historical car, a true trend-setter. Consider its age as you check it out for mechanical, body, electrical, interior, etc. Even if it is running (I kinda doubt that) you will still have motor, electrical, interior/exterior to deal with. If you have a limited budget and that Z is still too new to you for you to love it, go careful with the purchase price. You will have to spend a lot more than that to get to the point where that 240 is loving you back. A lot more $$$ and hours and days and frustration.

But best of luck. Please come back and post with fotos and more facts about it. More input available here. Take your time. Think more about "marrying a project" and less about driving a dream.

Yes, but if you cannot start it, you are buying a pig in a sack. Surprises await when the sack is opened. Be ready, buddy. Best of luck.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 02-01-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:52 PM

Front driver side

Floor passenger

Engine block

Last edited by Batman; 02-02-2019 at 04:53 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 02-02-2019, 04:57 PM

Brake master cylinder is dry. What kind of problems might this lead to ?
Old 02-02-2019, 05:02 PM

VIN, anything exciting about this number ?
Old 02-02-2019, 06:15 PM

I was able to connect a battery to the engine and turn it over. Here's what I'm thinking about doing. Taking a can of gas and disconnecting the fuel line, then inserting it into a clean can of fuel. Then trying to start it. With the brake master cylinder empty I'm thinking there is a long ways to go before driving it. My guess is there will be some problems with hoses on the braking system needing to be replaced.

I still need a lot of advice on this. When I left to look at the car this morning my wife said don't you need the check book. I said no, I'm not buying a car today. I practiced restraint. I think this car is pretty cool. I just don't want to go down a bad road. My goal would be to refresh the car, and drive the heck out of it.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Batman
I was able to connect a battery to the engine and turn it over. Here's what I'm thinking about doing. Taking a can of gas and disconnecting the fuel line, then inserting it into a clean can of fuel. Then trying to start it. With the brake master cylinder empty I'm thinking there is a long ways to go before driving it. My guess is there will be some problems with hoses on the braking system needing to be replaced.

I still need a lot of advice on this. When I left to look at the car this morning my wife said don't you need the check book. I said no, I'm not buying a car today. I practiced restraint. I think this car is pretty cool. I just don't want to go down a bad road. My goal would be to refresh the car, and drive the heck out of it.
Go over to ClassicZcars.com There are many threads over there about what to do before waking up a car that has been sitting for a long time.