ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   TO BE OR NOT TO BE TURBO? THAT IS THE QUESTION. (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/not-turbo-question-3157/)

z17 09-02-2002 06:49 PM

TO BE OR NOT TO BE TURBO? THAT IS THE QUESTION.

I have two cars one is a 77 and the other is a 81 turbo. the turbo needs new piston rings and my 77 is just about to start it just needs gas...hopefully. but i have to sell my turbo car. i was thinking of swaping the engines and selling the 81 with the 77 motor, so that way i can have a turbo 77 thats, lighter, and a more power potintcial car. but ive never had a 77 motor and my dad said that that is the fastest motor he has ever driven. what do ya think. i like to race on freeway alot so what ever can get me in the 160mph faster and can also last longer, pobably go past 160. i know some people that have some pretty good engines, one has an eclipse turbo 98, and he can make an 9 second pass on an 1/8, but i know my bro can beat him on freeway (he dosen't have that many mods on it either), but that eclipse can beat him on 1/8 and probably 1/4. eclipses are known to have good low to mid power but not high, and there engines are know good, you usually have problems with those engines. but i guess my question is can and will i be able to beat him with my 77 with the same motor it has, moded, or will i have to go for turbo power. i love freeway racing but i would like to beat him in the 1/8 and1/4. what do ya think. oh i almost for got my bros car can hit 160mph.

z17 09-02-2002 06:59 PM

Re: TO BE OR NOT TO BE TURBO? THAT IS THE QUESTION.

or i can keep the 81 turbo and sell the 77 and use the money and fix the piston rings and go from there

awd92gsx 09-03-2002 09:28 PM

If he's only running 9 second 8th miles he probably pretty close to stock, is a GST, or just doesn't know how to drive...

You shouldn't have any problems taking a stock GST or GSX with the turbo engine installed into your Z.

Bill
77 280Z
www.dsetuning.com

z17 09-04-2002 11:53 AM

well he only has exhast, bov,wast gate, turbo timer, and i think some camshafts. but the person who owns it isn't the one who can hit 9 flat. he lets his friend do the driving. also you sure he wouldn't be a problem to beat in my z (81 that is )? how much can you think a turbo z can hit? and with slightler mods will i be able to not even worry about him? by the way thanks for advice

awd92gsx 09-04-2002 09:15 PM

Well, the T25 that he has isn't the greatest turbo in the world, and the 2G head isn't that great either...

You shouldn't have too many problems building the 2.8L I6 to beat the 4G63 (trust me, I've built many many 4G63T's - am also a Mitsubishi tech)...The L28 is a nice torquey engine. I can only imagine a turbocharged engine would complement it nicely.

I've owned 3 DSM's (all 1G's) and sold the two fast ones for my Z. I (don't flame more for this) personally like the 1G Z's better and they seem to have more engine options than the 2G Z's.

I'd do the swap that you were talking about. I think it would result in a faster car...I could be wrong, though...

Bill
77 280Z
www.dsetuning.com

shanez 09-05-2002 07:33 AM

If all you want to do is go staight do the swap. A turbo 77 will kick ass on a gst, Hell my modified 78 kicks ass on gst,s all the time. Remember turbos require a heel of a lot more messaging than a NA. That is why i stick with the NA motor and work on tweaking it out. And if this kid can only pull a 9 second 1/8 mile that is sad in a turbo or most any sports car.

Z for go Z for show

z17 09-05-2002 08:55 PM

thanks guys im going to go N/A then and see if i can pull out somewhere around 310 hp. with noz that is. first ill get some pistons and rings, install that in my N/A, cause i found out that z's come with forged cranks and connecting rods, but not the pistons. damn can you imagine just changing just those pistons and... BAM, you got an almost race ready engine. i think while im at it get the cam's and all that good stuff for the head (port and polish, ect, ect, ect.). Im probably going to sell that 81 turbo, cause my bro's gsr needs a new head gasket. hes had that car for almost for years by march i think. he said if i came up with 3 grand it would be mine, cause he doesn't have the time to fix it up. well thankx guys for the advice and i post pics pobably by april or may. so set your dates cause here comes one z that'll be tough to beat. it will almost want to make you [censored] bricks. wait...correction, you WILL be shitin bricks!!!!!

awd92gsx 09-07-2002 02:57 PM

I'm going to have to disagree on this one.

I've owned primarily turbo cars (all DSM's) for the past 10 years.

Turbocharged cars are much easier to extract horsepower out of reliably than N/A or N20 fed cars.

Sure, you *could* build your N/A engine up to 210hp and squeeze a 100 shot into it...but...building it up to 210hp isn't as simple as just slapping on an intake and exhaust...

When it's all said and done, you will have spent alot less money, time, and effort on the turbo engine...and you won't have to worry about switching on the bottle or refilling it...

One more thing to consider...a turbo engine (or a built N/A engine for that matter) will have more power at all points in the throttle...not just at WOT, like with N20...

Just my $.02

Bill
77 280Z
www.dsetuning.com