ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   Newb and ready (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/newb-ready-33569/)

918_280z 09-26-2011 03:01 PM

Newb and ready

ok, about to pick a 75 280z. not new to cars, but BRAND new to these cars. i'm fairly sure i do not want to go with a stroker build. so, just testing waters as far as throwing a turbo on it. my short term goals of this car are around the 300rwhp. throw me some advice. and be gentle fellas :056:

NismoPick 09-26-2011 08:25 PM

Welcome to ZDriver!

300hp is a doable goal if you have enough $$$. :D An easy option is a V8 (LS, LT, 350) swap for the S30's. MSA sells kits for V8 swaps.
If you don't want to bastardize it with a V8, you can build a 300hp L28ET (bored, shaved head, T3/T4 turbo, big IC, stand alone fuel computer, etc), or even swap in an RB. The options are only limited to the $$$ in your bank account.

We have 2 forums dedicated to S30 motor swaps:
V8 swaps: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-v8-swaps-140/
Non-V8 swaps: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-motor-swaps-non-v8-269/

Six_Shooter 09-26-2011 09:51 PM

You don't need to do anything more than bolt on the turbo parts to an L28 and proper tune from a good ECM, to get to 300 HP. ;)

theramz 09-27-2011 08:10 AM

The Turbo engine was 182hp at the crank when it was brand new. "Throwing on a turbo" will not get you 300 hp on a 36 year old engine.

NismoPick 09-27-2011 08:56 AM

Just add a 200 shot of NOSSSSS! :D Skip the wiring and plumb the tank straight to the intake.

theramz 09-27-2011 09:32 AM

I wanna be there when it all gets left in the street.

Six_Shooter 09-27-2011 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by theramz (Post 301232)
The Turbo engine was 182hp at the crank when it was brand new. "Throwing on a turbo" will not get you 300 hp on a 36 year old engine.

Uhh, actually you can...

By calculation from trap speed on my car, I'm at around 290 crank HP. 240 HP at the wheels, from my E.T, I get about 195 HP and about 230 crank HP. Turbo cars MPH higher than an N/A car for the E.T., because the power curve is not as linear as N/A, the actual power is somewhere between. I'm not anywhere near my full potential yet. Even if you just simply average that out, it is 260 CHP, with plenty left in the tune, that I'm sneaking up on.

On top of that, you need to look through some of what the members on hybridz.org are doing by simply adding a turbo and proper tune to their old 2.8s. Many have eclipsed the 300 HP mark, and for thise that that have done more work, have been able to pull even more out of their engines.

NismoPick 09-27-2011 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter (Post 301272)
By calculation from trap speed on my car, I'm at around 290 crank HP. 240 HP at the wheels, from my E.T, I get about 195 HP and about 230 crank HP.

So you have done ABSOLUTELY nothing more to your motor than add a stock 280ZXT T3 turbo and a stand alone ecu?

On top of that, you need to look through some of what the members on hybridz.org are doing by simply adding a turbo and proper tune to their old 2.8s. Many have eclipsed the 300 HP mark, and for thise that that have done more work, have been able to pull even more out of their engines.

Longevity SHOULD be a factor in the build. Anyone can slap on a turbo to a tired motor and boost for a few months to get track bragging rights.

If you have a HBZ story of someone daily driving a bone stock boosted L28E for more than a few months / a few thousand miles, I'd like to hear about it. :D

Six_Shooter 09-27-2011 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick (Post 301277)
So you have done ABSOLUTELY nothing more to your motor than add a stock 280ZXT T3 turbo and a stand alone ecu?

Longevity SHOULD be a factor in the build. Anyone can slap on a turbo to a tired motor and boost for a few months to get track bragging rights.

If you have a HBZ story of someone daily driving a bone stock boosted L28E for more than a few months / a few thousand miles, I'd like to hear about it. :D

I never said I had a T3 turbo. ;)

My car has been in it's current form since 2008, it's nearly a daily driver from Spring until Fall, I have been known to get it out in the winter too. ;)

I abuse it hard, and have for a few years and several thousand miles.

The only thing I have done to the engine is maintenance, including a timing chain.

NismoPick 09-27-2011 09:35 PM

^^^ Yet you still didn't say what you did in the turbo conversion... :wink:

Six_Shooter 09-27-2011 09:53 PM

I put turbo parts on... (turbo, exhaust, intercooler, and EFI...)

What else would I do (while leaving the engine alone)?

NismoPick 09-27-2011 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter (Post 301228)
You don't need to do anything more than bolt on the turbo parts to an L28 and proper tune

... my issue w/ your posts is that you generalize and give so little detail ...

"just slap on sum terbeau partzzz and you magically get 300hp".

Yet you yourself aren't even using the stock turbo you eluded to ("THE TURBO PARTS" could be stock... could be a $20k setup), and you are running an IC ... I'm sure there are a few (or many) other things you aren't mentioning about your setup ... :D

EDIT:

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter (Post 301228)
to get to 300 HP. ;)

I'm at around 290 crank HP. 240 HP at the wheels, from my E.T, I get about 195 HP and about 230 crank HP.

And with your "extras", you still aren't at your claimed 300hp.

theramz 09-27-2011 10:31 PM

Here is a low buck op for ya. I think he spent all his money on the turbo cause the car is a pos. Youtube/Datsun 280z turbo 10 sec (Zperformance Racing) You still have to get all that power to the ground, not the wheels. It takes a clutch, tranny, rear diff too. The first thing I did on my car was the brakes cause I like stoppin all that power.

Six_Shooter 09-27-2011 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick (Post 301286)
... my issue w/ your posts is that you generalize and give so little detail ...

"just slap on sum terbeau partzzz and you magically get 300hp".

Yet you yourself aren't even using the stock turbo you eluded to ("THE TURBO PARTS" could be stock... could be a $20k setup), and you are running an IC ... I'm sure there are a few (or many) other things you aren't mentioning about your setup ... :D

EDIT:

And with your "extras", you still aren't at your claimed 300hp.

I didn't elude to anything, you read into what wasn't there.

Did I in anyway say that just bolting on a turbo would instantly get 300 HP? No I did not, again you read more into what I posted than what was there. I really hope you would give the OP more credit than that, too.

It seems like you've been on hybridz too much and the hybridz attitude is spilling over to here, where, because they can't do it, or think there's more to it, then it can't be done by anyone.

In my case, definitely isn't a $20K set-up, not even a 10th of that.

What would you like to know? Ask specific questions and get specific answers.

If the OP wanted more details, I'm sure he would have researched and asked questions.

I may not be at the 300 HP mark, by my current times, but there is plenty left in the combo that I haven't pulled out yet. My timing is VERY conservative, and getting that set-up will get me plenty more. Also on those passes I was launching soft, that will also reduce the E.T. and overall MPH, which will reduce the calculated power.

evandubya 09-28-2011 05:22 AM

I can overclock my pc to run at 4.5GHz, even though it water cooled I wouldn't expect the cpu or motherboard to last longer than a week. Big power increases on anything will kill it a lot sooner!

theramz 09-28-2011 09:49 AM

Proof

I believe in pictures, video, time slips and dyno charts. I'm even sceptical about those.