240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Mystry Cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:24 PM

Mystry Cam

New to the forum and need some help.

Have a 77 280Z with a 83-Turbo & the stock AT was replaced with a 5-speed.

Took it in to the shop for a valve adjustment and as the cam is not stock and we don't have the specifications on it...they said they can't adjust the valve. Is there a way to determine the spec's? Say with a dial indicator to measure the run-out.

Also the 12 pin connector on the ECU becomes loose and cause the car to run in limp mode...Does anyone know a source for new pins?

Lastly, is there a Z-club in the Seattle area?

Thanks for the help
Old 08-14-2012, 08:46 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Unless someone ground the cam in their backyard machine shop, it should have a stamp, or marking on it indicating who made it & the model or code.

As for the loose ecu connections, common problem on the 81-83 ZXT. I've talked about it before & have posted pics:

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-...-issues-35136/

Originally Posted by NismoPick
About a month after I did my Z31T ecu swap, I started having random hesitation probs. I ran the diagnostic codes and got a bunch of sensor trouble codes... racked my brain trying to check / fix them. Then one day on the freeway my a/f gauge just started to wig out so I grabbed the wire to pretty much yank it out and it started working again. So I wiggled the ecu plugs and the car magically settled down. That's when I found out about the 280zxt's common faulty ecu plug grounding wires. I chopped them out and soldered in 89 Z31 ecu plugs.
And we have quite a few members in WA... I know there is a huge Datsun club / frequent meets up yonder somewhere.