240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

New here Kuz a new "to me" 280 is for sale down the street

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Über User

i re-did my timing (aka removing oil pump dizzy and oil shaft lining up the dots seting engine to TDC placeing back up, then i rotated teh kew with no gas pedal movement and it started, barely lagged adn held a low idle till it ran out of fuel cause the fuel pump was off.... so i think im on the right track fianlly, i just gotta solve some wiring issues, cause wehn i turn teh key to start, this on line of wires starts to fry.....

i think it has to do with how its hooked up in order to get it to work cause the D-bag prior to me mangled the harness for a SBC swap and i think he did it wrong on top of it.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:16 PM
GTR
Badass Z Chick

*HUGS* Awesome and welcome to the Z world and ZDRIVER. Don't worry, I'm not gay, I'm just one of the goofy girls here on this site.....why doncha stop by chat sometime, you can learn a lot or just generally have a good time. All in all these are fun cars and they are pretty versatle depending on what you wanna get outta them, they sure surprised me....hehe now i have turbo power. ^.^ Anyhoo, I hope ta chat with ya soon.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:58 PM

well thanks for all the hospitatiality.
but straight to the sweet stuff i now have, a white 2+2 z car parked out from of my house. kinda funny actualy, i talked him to $1k flat and got him to throw in a set of 6" 'fast and the furious" speakers, to add to the stero that dosent exist, right now but anyway. a little history, i got hard core ricers up the street and sum old school studebaker driver types down your average joe's here and there right, i always rolled this tempo growling like the 5.0 it is not and other american cars, the look on all there faces when i spun the *** of this z onto around and onto the street at about 5krpm rpiceless. crept it up the street and first came the ricers, " hey man that your new car".
the old schol guys just confused, but none the less interested. so with a smal crowd right, i pop the hood, there eyes got just this much bigger when they saw how the hood poped, lmao then they saw a clean tucked I6.... and it was silence.
well so far i changed the oil,- filter and air filter, getin it ready for an emessions test, and i was about to change the plugs with sum premo cheap replaceements until i saw NGK on the current 1's. i stil pulled every plug to get a feel for what was goign on, no oil but cilinder 6 "or the closet to the trans" was a tad wet, fuel wet? maybe it didnt blow but loaded up and stoped just short of tdc who knows...

took it for another spin feels good, not as fast as i could have imaganed but the mods come later.... of the bat this car sat for over 6 months..corrupt gas oil and an air filter that weighed at least 4lbs of dirt and it was breaking the *** loose on comand i gota say i already love it.

onto the rust, i got it on a few stands right, and theres a f-ing hole in the passanger floor pan and i made another finger hole in the driver side, floor pan, bolth below the front seats. the reast of the car is good cept for where the driver sub frame meets with the sheetmetal just above itself, about the engine bay, ill need sum pics. if im lucky i can get away with sum metal and a welder, i hope. the frame around the motor seems to be okay as does the front and the ***, i duno maybe i got lucky.
anyhow the trans driveline rear end and braking system look feel and sound pristine. the motor though, my girl followed me home and said wjhen i would shift she saw lil white smokes popin out the muffler.
im yet to see any on a standstill rev. now when i finaly got it home, i took a better look at the engine and a betetr sound and finaly opened the oil spout on the valve cover or w.e it called, opened it up and took a listen reving it up a lil to keep from losign all vacume, now what i though was the injectgors clicking being its got steel braided fuel lines and proly a skyhigh fuel pressure, now sounds terribly like a KNOCK COMING FROM ALL ACROS THE CAM, NOT JUST 1 ROCKER, BUT MANY
i needa pull the v-cover and real see wtf is going on i guess, need a few sugestions on the pcv vac. though do i just plug it to keep it runing or...
and is this ohc motor adjustable or am i gona need lot's more $ to fix this knock if it is?

ive got a list of questions so long about this car, like how and wtf the lil boxes are that have wires in them being used like pc jumpers or sumthing???
AND THE LIL LIGHT FOR UNDERHOOD WORK DONT WORK!!!! lol im gona mount a baja under there anyway, realy light things up!!!

anyhow thanks again, thanks for helping m,e iorn out the z car problems and soon ill get a manual and uh,,,ya so again my unconditional gratitude is aplied to all of you z-gods.
-dave

Last edited by Cronicus; 04-27-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Über User

dont **** your pants over loud lifters, its a Z thing. just look up the specs on hear and re-torque all your lifters. and if you open teh valve cover oil cap and listen, OF COURSE your gonna hear them they are right there! lol. right under that oil cap is your cam and all the lifters so put the huggies away and if it has the stock FPR on it tehn the FP wont be high. you can always check it its uber simple.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:15 PM

good to know i can return the depends and go back to boxers.
well the cam is there i know man its ohc of course.
but its abnormaly loud to me, but uh i have only owned ohv cars so its like a new ballpark.
heres the thing i dont got a manual and im kinda broke, til next friday.
ill look up the specs and sequences but uh, well ill lay it out im not a mech. man i kinda dont trust myself on an ohc. so i will drool and be oh so thankfull for any additional help or tips yall can provide, and i promise you only have to teach me once..
well im off to dig that info up, is there anything else i should know?
again thanks, as soon as i get sum $ ill make dontaions or sumthing. i just want you fellas to know im not here to freelance info i need every word of advice i can get.
thanks a million
-dave
Old 04-28-2007, 04:25 PM

wow this place is koo, that didnt take long at all.
just to double check.....
this is what i need to know right...
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...105&uid=786489

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?...5#reply_686568

and i think it said it was the specs for a 75, so would this be just as good for my 76 being it stil the l28 i belive it called.

and i needa get my z int eh sig now, gota make it pretty first i guess.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Taste My Rainbow

to bad you live in new mexico cause i would sell ya my non rusted 78 with a 4-speed and some minor performance parts for 1250. Oh and it has only 67k original miles on it to boot.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:32 PM

man i woulda drove out there to get it.....
well i threw a c.a.i. on my z with a big od amsoil filter i was using on the tempo, took the msd tfi blaster and wired it in place of the h.e.i. coil and set out to my dads girls house a a.s.e. for a.p.s. and uh a well knowledgeble import guy. befor ei even started it up for him he tol me about the noisier than hell injectors.
started it up and he said it sounds beautiful. he did recomend testing the injectors for resistance tomorow but that the lifter clank was to minimal to judge, i would have to mic it and see. in other words not to sweat it. he took it for a spin and gave me his 5 minute diagnosis. he couldent and i still cant belive how tight the trans syncros are but he pointed out exces heat coming up through the shifter, a seal he said is worn....?
so after he gave me the thumbs up to send it through the grinder i decided to take it out for sum saturday night races. with just an air filter, and a coil and a removed ac belt so far thats it, i handed my homie thomas in a prelude , headers, exhaust and c.a.i. his *** a few times, a feat impossible in a my old car. and this other guy i met in a eclipse didnt have a dam chance.
i had a good fight with a c-230 on the way home to, on the freeway. took it to 115 then felt the front lift like i been reading bout here, kinda scary. whats the soloution, bulldog the ***, way up?
anyhow i am sold, i ****ing love this car. i completly understand the saying "engernied to be feared"

btw i got it all on film to, lemnem put em all togther and cut it down, and find a host for tghe viedo, ill throw it up tommorow!

Last edited by Cronicus; 04-28-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:54 AM

here it is guys its not muchn i got like 10 minuts of footage but heres what counts.
with just an air filter, and no ac belt for what its worth i handed the eclipse its *** all night, and that prelude would get me by just a few feet on the hi end but well youl see, and it was hard moded big time.
Click here to watch barley-momded-eating-hard-moded-cars-this-z-is-hot

and if that dont work byet give it a few hours heres the manual way
http://media.putfile.com/barley-momd...-this-z-is-hot
Old 04-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Über User

sounds fun, watch your a$$ though i got busted racin (just fun racing nothing stupid or w/.e) my friend on a dead a$$ empty road at 1:30 in the am and ended up spending 900 dollars jsut to keep my license, im on supervision till august 14th of this year. and watch teh swear words put in no conspicuos symbols unless you in the off topic section then you can swear. just a heads up while there arent any mods around
Old 04-29-2007, 08:51 AM
I'm a Registered User!

hahaha i love seeing the new importants getting their !@#$ handed to them by a old car!...especially when it's a z

nice
Old 04-29-2007, 09:51 PM

ya it felt good, brand new motors giving there all to keep up with this so near stock 76.
but thanks for the warning ill be shure to watch my language.
but ya i spent a good whole day on the z, gutted 100% of all ac componets, spare tire and a few other non esiental goodies, and thats as far as ill go, to keep the car, enjoyable.
AND I PUIT IN A STERO!!!!!!! finaly. the acoustic quality of the car is wiered but nice, different.

and i know this topic has ran on long enuf but i got 1 last question.
ditch the belt fan for a low amp hi rpm roughly 2-3500k rpm fan??
will the switch of geting the drive of the belt system even add anything vs. eletric or do i need a hi output alternator to do this right? i was thinking bout runing a switch for the fan to the cab and watch the temp on a new temp gauge. ive done this on all my other cars with great sucess.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:32 PM
Über User

for sure, electric fans are the shizzle. they free up power keep cooling better specially at idle, AND they free up some room up front there, look a bit nicer. and as for the language, you were alright ive jsut seen peopel that are super new like you use teh cus words and it starts to be a habbit. so its more of a heads up than a watch out. and you probably wont need a high output alternator for jsut an electric fan, but if you start upgrading other elctrical componenets like bigger ignition system, bigger stereo system, you might wanna look into it.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:50 AM

well i was thinking just an accel hi output coil and a lil $50 target radio "im poor man" and a few gauges.
i actualy pulled out a 250w alpine amp dude had HARDWIRED "no fuse" to the battery, gona seel it along with this ac system and maybe maybe the hub caps, tog et sum $ for headers n stuff.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:34 AM

Nice! Sounds like you're already having some fun with the new car. Don't panic too much on the floorboard rust, replacements are available, and not too bad to put in.
You mentioned the car sat for 6 months (why do people do that to cars?). One thing on the Z's is they're kinda sensitive to bad/old fuel. Given the fuel filter is so cheap (I think the NAPA one is under 10 bucks), you might want to do that, just as a preventive measure.
Dave
Old 04-30-2007, 05:42 PM

ya i changed the filter and completly drained all the gas outa it when i got it to my pad, im loving that lil drain scrue on the bottom of the tank. i wouldent wnaan harm the z, so i threw in a can o b-12 with fresh 91 octance and now back to 86. any miore lil tips and tricks i can do?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:00 PM

I F-ING LOVE THIS CAR
lol i took a buddie of mine that didnt know the difference between a datsun and a nissan rofl for a lil ride today. he learned the "lack of" difference real fast.
poor guy drives a eclipse. he **** his pants when we hit a turn sideways at about 5 thousand rpm's straightened out and gave it its all.
he dont wnana race anymore i think