ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   Motor won't turn over (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/motor-wont-turn-over-7271/)

seerexracing 10-04-2003 05:52 PM

Motor won't turn over

Hey all any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 72 240 and I just recently got it and it had sat for quite awhile like 2 years . I put a new battery in it and went to try to start it and it just makes clicking noises from the passenger side firewall. The relay switch i figured out. I tried to jump the car just in case there was any bad battery connections but it just clicks then as well. It does not click from the engine bay and all the lights and interior stuff work so i know its getting power. Any suggestions? And also does the 72 have alot more wiring in thengine bay than a 71 ?? Thanks Jeff

icice9 10-05-2003 01:39 AM

test to see if its your starter... try to remote start the car.. the ticking noise could also be your solinoid clicking..... put your car in neutral and the kep to on... then on your solinoid job the positive terminal to the switch terminal and see if the car turins over.. if it does then its your relay... if it dont... its your starter...

Creator 10-05-2003 08:19 AM

uh, do you have a simple wiring diagram of which side is positive on that silinoid, my z is doing the *EXACT* same thing (it wasnt turning over, i replaced the starter last week, i got it to turn over once on the new starter, no the 3post silinoid is clicking (my interior access. work fine too). I'm looking for a replacement silinoid now, but if someone can tell me which is the positive post (or which ones i need to connect to make sure) that would be great.
Thanks.

icice9 10-05-2003 02:19 PM

the pos. terminal is the one that directly connected to your pos side of your bat.. jsut follow the pos wire to the starter.. and thats where its at... if your looking at your starter from the top.. its the terminal at the bery top of the solinoid.. the ignition terminal is the lil clip on the side of it... if you get a wire and jump those 2 terminals.. the starter should crank over... ut remember to have your car in neutral.. dont want you Z to buck on you when you do this... lol

Airpilot16 10-05-2003 04:13 PM

ok, guys, here's what happened to me. I went and replaced the battery on my Z, and it wouldn't turn over. The stereo came on, lights worked, etc. I had no idea what was wrong with it. After almost a half hour of loosening and tightening wires, I found out what it was. On the starter is this little clip terminal, and a little wire that connects to it from the wiring harness. This wire is the wire that goes to the starter, and allows the car to start. I pushed it back onto the starter terminal, and the car started instantly. Hopefully that helps!

seerexracing 10-05-2003 08:16 PM

thank you I will try that and let you both know , i will as well check that clip on the solinoid

seerexracing 10-05-2003 09:47 PM

ok i touched a wire from the post that comes from the battery to the top clip that has a wire attched to it <i remove the wire from the clip on the soliod > and all i got was sparks and the ignition was turned to the on position , I am guessing not the start/soli combo maybe , am i close at all :)

seerexracing 10-06-2003 07:56 PM

hey I wanted to say thanks to all , i found my guilty part which was the starter, now it turns over and i am now in a quest to get the carbs rebuilt any suggestions? my brother suggested ztherapy , any good or bad about them?

Airpilot16 10-06-2003 11:23 PM

if you want to do it yourself, look on ebay for a rebuild kit

Creator 10-07-2003 05:26 AM

seerexracing, errr, where was the problem??? Just so i can double check mine.

thanks
.cre

z_lis 10-08-2003 03:42 PM

: )

This is a little off the subject, but can any of you tell me how I can put the picture of my car
in the little pace on the left my my name? :D