240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

maf

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 12:07 PM
The Evil Twin

Re: maf

On a 280Z or ZX non turbo, right?

Well, one idea is to take an AFM from a 280ZX turbo and carefully gut it of all the electronics. The turbo AFM has a larger throughput than the n/a models. Then you'll need a properly functioning non-turbo 280zx AFM and desolder the connections and carefully remove those electronics too. Place the n/a components inside the housing of the turbo AFM. Adjust the plate pressure and maybe the idle mixture screws a bit so that the car runs right.

You'll have to play with it a while and try to get it to run just slightly more rich than what was factory. That will give you the best horsepower.

The Z31 might work too. I haven't heard of using that one. I'm not sure what electronics you'll have to put inside it though.

Old 09-12-2002, 10:08 AM
The Evil Twin

Build your own fuel injection computer that uses a air pressure/vaccume sensor instead of an air flow meter.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Old 09-19-2002, 11:46 AM
The Evil Twin

Oh yes, of course there are other computers. They will not say that they are specifically for a 280zx. The ones I have heard about are for normally aspired and turbo applications. They work with 4, 6, and 8 cylinder egines! They run about $4000 to $5500 for the system. A friend of mine got one for his VW GTI. He hopes to use it to add "50hp" to his 1.8L engine and then later on when he puts in a 1.8 turbo engine he'll use the same aftermarket computer.

compare thousands of dollars to a couple hundred.

Old 09-20-2002, 11:26 PM
The Evil Twin

http://www.turbofast.com.au/autronic/sm2ecu.html