240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Just Bought a 260z...locked ignition

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Originally Posted by KptClutchZ
Alrighty, progress has been made. I have gotten as far as getting the plate off and am now down the actual removal of the lock cylinder, however I am having a difficult time finding the correct mode, or turning point of the key so that the lock cylinder will move from the ignition its self. My Chilton book does not cover this and I currently do not have a way to get to an automotive store to pick up a haynes cuz I live in da stix.....

If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Is there a button or lever that I am missing that will allow the release of the lock cylinder?

As always, here is a picture of its current point:

Originally Posted by NismoPick
^^^ Well, first off the Z car is made by Nissan, not GM.

You replace the whole unit on the Z. You might be able to remove the tumbler / cylinder itself, but replacing the whole unit will be easier and cheaper.

EDIT... have you checked www.autozone.com ? They have ignition tumblers and complete units. You'll likely need to remove the whole thing to replace just the tumbler though.
I've had my lock apart when I got the Z, I never went back together.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:01 PM

lol, Well I got most of it apart today and actually got the chipped part of the tumbler to fall out of the lock cylinder. As of the moment, the old ignition is working properly....but who knows for how long. I've got a haynes coming tomorrow and it is supposed to outline the removal of the lock cylinder from the ignition.

Overall, this process has been easier than expected. It's also a lot cheaper than buying the whole thing. In the event that it is indeed true that you can not change the cylinder, I will confirm that I was in fact wrong, and am an ultimate noob. But I've got a feeling that there is a way to replace the lock cylinder.

But I did get to drive her for about two hours today around the mountains here in North Georgia........shes so much fun.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:04 PM

Oh, and btw....I saw your thread about the water. Rough luck man......It's been raining for two weeks solid here as well.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Originally Posted by KptClutchZ
Oh, and btw....I saw your thread about the water. Rough luck man......It's been raining for two weeks solid here as well.
*shrugs* Its just my luck really... Anyways good luck with the lock
Old 09-20-2009, 08:07 PM

Hey bud, reading my haynes... heres the directions. No photos though. I paraphrased the bits youve done

1. Take off shroud
2. Disconnect wiring connection
3. Unscrew and remove screw that retains ignition/starter to arm of steering lock
4. Disconnect battery earth lead and steering column cowl
5. Disconnect igntion switch cables
6. Centre punch the centre of the sheer bolt heads and drill out centres
7. remove the 2 halves of the unit

Refit
1. Refit with the lock set to "Park" so that locking peg is disengaged
2. Make sure locating tag engages correctly and finger tighten new sheer head bolts
3. Make sure of operation of lock and then tighten bolts to sheer heads
4. Refit wiring harnesses and replace cowls

Hope this helps
Old 09-22-2009, 09:24 PM

Coolie, thanks a ton man. Just out of curiosity, where were you able to find that in the haynes manual? I clearly was not looking in the correct spot, lol. I found removal of the complete unit, steering lock assembly and the rest of that mess...

I'll be finishing this up this weekend. All this rain in Georgia has kinda kept me from working on everything.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:27 AM

I just wanted to thank everyone for their assistance. I finally finished all of that mess up successfully =) I'm back on the road and loving her. Now I'm trying to find a loose ground....I love how there is so much to work on this baby. I'm learning a lot fo sho