240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Just Bought a 260z...locked ignition

Old 09-09-2009, 01:27 PM

Just Bought a 260z...locked ignition

And I'm pumped! I'll be on here quite a bit, and I hate to come right off with a semi noob question. It appears that the ignition in my car has just stuck in the lock position and refuses to come out . Thus I cannot start my car which bothers me because I love my 4 speed, lol.

How should I go about having this corrected? Should I contact a Locksmith, or should do I have to have it towed and the ignition replaced?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:45 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver! Have you tried moving the steering wheel all the way left or right? The steering lock may be preventing the key from turning.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:51 PM

Aye Sir,

I did indeed. I also tried slightly pulling the key out while rotating the key in right direction (gently, to avoid breaking the key) with no give or rotation in any way. I have also tried sweet talking with no avail, lol. But I currently have a 74 260z setting in a gym parking lot . But while I was moving the steering wheel, it locked on me haha....

Also, thanks for the welcome!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

turn key and turn steering wheel should come loose after a couple jerks
Old 09-09-2009, 02:33 PM

Unfortunately the key does not turn at all. Its stuck in the locked position. However I can take out the key and vice versa, if that information helps at all.

Think the locksmith thing is out of the question?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

spray a little graphite lock lube into it and put the key in and LIGHTLY tap on the back of the key with a hammer a few times then try turning it again.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:21 PM
eff good grammar

i think alot of people are getting at the key pretty much never gets stuck in such a way with out rocking the steering wheel back and fourth while you try un doing it.

and yea graphite stuff isnt a bad idea
Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
i think alot of people are getting at the key pretty much never gets stuck in such a way with out rocking the steering wheel back and fourth while you try un doing it.
Pretty much...
Old 09-09-2009, 07:39 PM

Unless he's using the wrong key, lol. No, but seriously, I usually had trouble with my Z. Just turn the steering wheel one way while jiggling the key and it'll turn. Same deal with any vehicle with a steering wheel lock and an ignition cylinder on the column. Well, any car I've driven.

--Ryan
Old 09-10-2009, 06:26 AM

Hey guys, I appreciate all the responses. I got a locksmith to come by and it turns out that the key was old and part of it was chipped, heh. He just made me a new key for a whopping 20$. So I got to drive it to work for the first time this morning.......

I have to say that the SU carbs are definitely running rich. I'll be googling to find some tuning manuals or something....I smell like gas. But I like it =)
Old 09-10-2009, 07:02 AM
The Good Twin

w00t!!!

Originally Posted by KptClutchZ
I'll be googling to find some tuning manuals or something....
Checky: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-280zxt-s30-s130-tech-tips-275/

Downloadable FSM (Factory Service Manual): http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html
Old 09-10-2009, 05:37 PM

Very nice sir, very nice indeed. I greatly appreciate your assistance. I'll be spending my weekend tweeking on this like nobodys business.

I'll be posting pictures as well......

Thanks again
Old 09-10-2009, 07:49 PM
This facepalm's for you!

go to Ztherapy.com and get the "just SU's" video. anything and everything you could ever need to know about your SU's.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:19 AM

Great, I'll def be purchasing that. I've found a few websites that give a focus on the SU carbs pretty much letting me know how they work. Quite a bit different in comparison to my 68 GTO, heh. I'm just now finding the time to look through all those manuals that NismoPick dropped off.....theres a lot of information there.

Just in case anyone is interested......
Old 09-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Nissans Purist

Sexzeee!!!
Old 09-11-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by fdc_guy
Sexzeee!!!
Thanks, mate. I wish I could take credit for all the work, but I bought it like this. I always like them but I'm usually so busy I don't always have the time to work on them. But I stumbled on to this beauty a few days ago and decided it was indeed time....

I'm now pondering an RB26 swap. Been reading a lot.....but still not sure if I want to.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:40 PM

Well, this weekend was a good one. I got the Alternator changed, I managed to get my Cd player to stop working (looks like the last guy that had it requested that only a blind person could wire it =/) and now I'm trying to change out the lock cylinder on my ignition. I got the 'beauty' plate off of it, but now I am stuck at having the plate removed that will allow the removal of the lock cylinder. Forgive me if this has been answered before, but I seem to be having trouble finding anything about this particular type of ignition.

It looks like most others are quite different. I will leave a picture below of how far I have the plates off.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:56 AM

Bump,

Help Please =)
Old 09-15-2009, 07:01 AM
The Good Twin

I don't think anyone was sure on what you were asking in your previous post (no question marks).

You are trying to remove the whole ignition?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:25 AM

My bad, it's been a long few days. The plate that actually shows the mode the key is in where it says off, acc, on and start is being a pest to take off. I'm not sure if I need some sort of special tool, or if I'm missing something. I am trying to change the ignition lock cylinder as shown in the following links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ6EJ...rom=PL&index=6

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Ignition_l...71_Monte_Carlo

Sorry bout that
Old 09-15-2009, 07:35 AM
The Good Twin

^^^ Well, first off the Z car is made by Nissan, not GM.

You replace the whole unit on the Z. You might be able to remove the tumbler / cylinder itself, but replacing the whole unit will be easier and cheaper.

EDIT... have you checked www.autozone.com ? They have ignition tumblers and complete units. You'll likely need to remove the whole thing to replace just the tumbler though.

Last edited by NismoPick; 09-15-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:48 AM

Understood, lol. I was just looking at as many different types to get a feel of the process as I couldn't really find anything on this particular model. Auto zone hooked me up with an ignition tumbler for a whopping 23$ vs the $ 110.00 of the complete ignition.

I'll document everything as I go through this for future reference. I'm on a mission now, lol. It even came with a new set of keys.

Thanks so much for the response! I need to work on my communication skills
Old 09-15-2009, 07:53 AM
The Good Twin

Do you have a Haynes manual? Because I'm pretty sure it goes over the ignition switch R&R in detail (I know the 280zx manual does). If you don't have one, I suggest buying one at Autozone, or downloading the FSM from www.xenons30.com/reference
Old 09-15-2009, 09:58 AM

When I bought the car there was a Chilton in the back, but I'm honestly broke after buying the car. So I'll have to wait on buying a Haynes. I looked through the Chilton with little success, but I didn't have long to look through it since I'm supposed to be at work, heh. I did find in the Xenons about removing the ignition its self which would be a good start, but not much about the lock tumbler.

I'm sure I'll find a way.....at least I live in the country where i don't really have to worry about people stealing stuff. Because a key in the ignition at the ACC position is a pretty good give away that this car would be easy to steal.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:15 AM

Alrighty, progress has been made. I have gotten as far as getting the plate off and am now down the actual removal of the lock cylinder, however I am having a difficult time finding the correct mode, or turning point of the key so that the lock cylinder will move from the ignition its self. My Chilton book does not cover this and I currently do not have a way to get to an automotive store to pick up a haynes cuz I live in da stix.....

If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Is there a button or lever that I am missing that will allow the release of the lock cylinder?

As always, here is a picture of its current point:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just Bought a 260z...locked ignition