ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   heres what i did, and some other options. (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/heres-what-i-did-some-other-options-38/)

eurozx 01-09-2001 02:06 PM

heres what i did, and some other options.

heh, just to give people some ideas i will first say what i have done and liked but eventualy changed..

first i decided to take out the stock Storage Bins in the back of the 280zx, i first ripped the lids off them and replaced with a solid piece of wood with a cutout for a 6x9 that i was using, i then placed the amp where the spare tire went [id suggest hiding it under capret, i got a flat tire and thank god i had a phone near by] and it sounded alot better then the stock speakers! i installed the head unit in the factory location with a homade kit, one from Motorports would hav esaved me from dicing up the wires, i eventuly replaced them with the factory wires when i installed my Eclipse head unit [in the place where the heater control goes].

i then had a box of 2 12" subs that sat perfectly behind the wheel wells, the car sounded great!! alot of sound deading and Dynomat to reduce rattels was used and make the car perfect.

i am now intsalling custom kick panel pods, that i may make some for sale later] that hold a set of 6" components on both sides of the car, behind the seats i removed the Storage bin holder to flush mount my amps, and behind that i am mounting a set of 3 way components on the wheel wells and everything behind the wheel wells will be a big sub box. www.eurozx.org has more info on the new setup but i thought id post about the old setup. The old setup cost about $400 total [with amp and speakers] and sounded great, id suggest it for anyone that doesnt use their storage bins, i sure do miss mine. email me any ideas or questions im always up for a chat. wbowman@hirons.com

Evanz 01-10-2001 05:15 PM

Re: heres what i did, and some other options.

Hey Euro, thanks alot for the tip man. Why dont you register? We could use someone else around here that knows the zx interior well!!

Evan

Well while i have it apart i might as well........

eurozx 01-11-2001 10:34 AM

Re: heres what i did, and some other options.

hey even, thanks for replying. i wasnt sure if i would actualy check this board out but i find my self looking for new info every day. i hope that it will grow to be bigger and better in the long run. a few site design changes would make me check back more often.

eurozx.org

Ghostz 10-21-2001 11:03 PM

Re:need radio harness color codes

Lisa,

Although I am not as familiar with the 280s, I know that when I installed the stereo in my 300, I just ran all new wiring. It seemed to save alot of time and hassle, and it also allowed me to run higher quality wiring to the amp and speakers. As far as the power ant. goes, most new head units now have a plug in for them, so that shouldn't be much of a hassle, although I know alot of people that take those things out, i know mine (pia) was removed after a chance car wash (don't ask) helped remove half of it. Running wire isn't that bad though, just depends on how much work you want to go through. Someone who has done it on a 280 would know more than me though. If you do decide not to use the old harness, just make sure that you cap off, tape off, rip out, or in some way make absolutely positive that there are no live wires floating around from the old harness.
Good luck
Ghostz

Bleach 10-23-2001 12:38 PM

Re:rewiring and kick panels

Yes, there is one live wire in the original harness, used for the radio and the power antenna. (so it can go down after the car is turned off) So be sure to cap those wires off as mentioned.

I ran into the same problem and ended uprunning my own wires. I used a quick-disconnect strip to plug in power, ground, and all four speakers so I can swap out radios or remove the radio for maintenance. That worked great.

The rear speakers in a 280zx are no problem, but what about the front? I have been trying to make plans for a custom panel above the driver's legs to mount a speaker, but I may not have leg room if I angle the speaker forward. I am interested in knowing how eureozx is going to make kick panels for 6" speakers.