ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   Help! My Z wont run (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/help-my-z-wont-run-5960/)

merceknight 06-06-2003 10:01 AM

Help! My Z wont run

Help! I bought a 77 280Z off of a very lazy relative who let the poor thing sit in a carport for over 8 years. I boiled out the gas tank, replaced the injectors, replaced the plugs, etc., and it actually fired right up on the first try! (A testiment to Nissan engineering.) I had it running for about 15 minutes before I pulled the transmission to repair it. Now that I have the transmission back on, it will hardly run at all. I can get it started but every time I give it any gas it dies. It will barely idle and dies in only a few moments. I was told the problem might be in the airflow meter or its rubber boots which are near to decay. Any suggestions as to why it would suddenly behave like this would be greatly appreciated.

icice9 06-09-2003 12:59 PM

you probalby have a crack in your AFM boot.. that might have happend when you took out your tranny and your engine moved a lil but enough to tear a hole in your AFM boot. and if you have any vacuume leak in the boot it can cause your engine to run like that and hesatate. id check all your vacuume lines too.. did you replace your fuel filter yet.. if not you might want to do that too...

chef_tickwon 06-09-2003 01:23 PM

I agree with icice9 any little thing you miss with a vacuum line can cause a car to run like crap. I would re check all lines and see if anything broke or if a line was redirect somewhere else by accident...trust me it can happen. :D Even when you least expect it.

Chris

lifegrddude 06-09-2003 08:22 PM

If it's not vacuum related, if the car sat for so long, it could have gummed up the fuel lines and injectors. Replace the fuel filter if you haven't already. Check the TPS connectors for corrosion, if they are corroded they can give a bad signal to the ECU. Make sure no moisture in on the contacts and same with the distributor cap and rotor.
John 82ZXT

mike_77turbo 07-05-2003 04:44 PM

Oh I know what that is, its your transmission-transmongerfier modulator valve.

zbobo 07-05-2003 11:03 PM

nah, couldn't be that valve. only redneck z's run those.

merceknight 07-31-2003 06:08 PM

She lives again

Thanks to all you who replied. I have since coaxed the car into running again. It turned out to be the rubber boots for the airflow meter and a number of vacuum lines with tiny cracks. She isnt running all that smoothly yet but at least she's drivable!! I am gald I found this site :)

rick458 07-31-2003 10:59 PM

Do your self a favor and replace all the vacuum hoses (yes it is a pain ) that way you will rule those out of the equation for any other probs
do the one at a time I have replaced at least 25'
of vac/fuel lines and still have about 10' to go
but I know I wont be chasing vacuum leaks or have a fire