ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   exhaust (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/exhaust-2350/)

ex247 06-22-2002 03:46 AM

exhaust

what is a good performance exhaust that i can get for my 1978 280z? i am looking for exhaust setup that doesnt have a cat (dont need one) and headers...what would be the best setup (ie mufflers pipes headers) etc....

thanx

Zpeed 06-22-2002 10:05 AM

Re: exhaust

what i am running is 6-2-1 headers, and 2 1/4 pipe all the way, with a turbo flow muffler at the rear, with a nice big tip...

it gave me a considerable power up, as my last stock exhaust was rusted, had holes in it, and was squshed in a few places..

now it has a very nice sound to it, my friends say they can here me coming a block away... and it has a very unique tone and note to it... for me it is fine on the highways, and driving around town... if ur a fussy person, a resonator or hotdog would be the better thing to do

<font color=blue>76 260z</font color=blue>
The NiteRider

AlansZ 06-22-2002 08:07 PM

Yeah, I've currently got headers and 2 inch exhaust all the way back, no cat. The noise doesn't bother me, but my parents think its too loud. I'm soon going to replace the pipes, as they have heaps of holes in them. I'm thinking of going to 2 1/4 inch, but the exhaust guy reckons 2 1/2. I've read all the posts and it seems that no one really thinks there is much difference, so i'll probably go the cheaper option (is it cheaper?)

Alan, Australia

Zpeed 06-23-2002 02:09 PM

it would be like $10-$20 differance for 2 1/2 but matters where u go, the parts cost [censored] all, its the time the people take to do it.

if ur in melbourne i recomend highpoint muffler, the guy there is really good, and is cheap

ur engine is modified (head etc) yer allan, get a 2 1/2, i see it if ur engine is modified get the 2 1/2 if ur engine is stock get a 2 1/4....

also my perants think its to loud also, i wake up at 6.30am and warm up the car for 5minutes, and with the choke on its louder, so the whole house wakes up, like a nice sounding alarm clock

<font color=blue>76 260z</font color=blue>
The NiteRider

AlansZ 06-23-2002 06:15 PM

yeah, when I get home at late at night my parents know what time i got home...

Alan, Australia

luis 11-25-2003 06:25 PM

quesion here guys if i put headers to my 78 280z would it make more noise than it already does with the flowmaster i installed?
im still gonna take the catalic converter soooooo. just woundering

Airpilot16 11-25-2003 06:47 PM

with a flowmaster, the Z will sound like a boat. If you want a reasonably sounding exhaust, I'd recommend going with a cheap glasspack. It will resonate well, and you'll like the sound. I've got a melted down glasspack on my Z, and the thing sounds better than any of these people with headers and a flowmaster.

Trevor280z 11-26-2003 05:06 AM

Unless you have the tools, place, and knowledge to fab up your own, Id take it to a local muffler shop, not Midas, Miniki, etc. And have them make a custom one for you. Usually they'll have a specific muffler brand they use, such as Dynomax or MagnaFlow; each very respectable manufacturers. Tell them the diameter of piping you want and if you have a choice, the muffler.

As for header, 6-1 is the best configuration. Anything else (e.g.:
3-2, 6-2) wont benefit you, as the stock manifold will be just as good.

Here's an excellent header

luis 11-26-2003 03:57 PM

humm like a boat huh it makes a weird noise as a grrrrrrrrrrr nois but it goggles i was gonna put the magna flow on but i head my cuz who owns a 67 mustang and dm it sounds bad. days later when i let my cuz hear my car he told me it sounded like shit plus i learned a new thing that day. flowmasters are for v8 ts and soo .

will the magna make a better noise? or what mufler would make a noise t be feared.?

david lisiecki 11-27-2003 06:31 PM

Exhaust System

I am restoring my 73 240 and have a full header / exhaust system from Motor Sports Auto. Header is 3-2-1 with 2 1/2 back to dynamax muffler. Header is coated- highly recommended as looks great and insulates heat well at the same time.

Sound is the best...

AllmyZs 11-29-2003 04:14 AM

I run 6-1 headers and a 21/2 exhaust with no cat and a flowmaster I love the sound except at 90 for over 4 hours of driving it starts to put you to sleep. My entire exhaust was 100 installed and the header was 200 installed. I am very happy with the way mine sounds and would not change a thing. It is throaty like a IROC and just sounds great all the way to 6000 rpm. I love driving down the interstate and changing my speeds from 60 to 100 just cause the exhaust note is so awesome to hear. Out where I live it was actually cheaper to go with a 21/2 than a 21/4 by 20 bucks.

Airpilot16 11-29-2003 10:42 AM

well, with a flowmaster, it's made for something above a 6 cyl. My friend has a 56 Chevy Biscayne, and his car sounded like a boat. We went down to the local auto parts store, and bought a cheap glasspack ($20), and some mounting brackets. We installed the whole setup in about an hrs time, using a welder, a hacksaw, and the existing exhaust hardware. When we cut the muffler out of under the car, we found out that the previous owner had put a pretty expensive flowmaster on the car. Now his Chevy sounds like a dragster with the glasspack, and the coolest thing is that when it backfires, it shoots flames.