ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   electronic point conversion...help! (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/electronic-point-conversion-help-6656/)

Airpilot16 08-07-2003 10:57 AM

electronic point conversion...help!

hey guys, I took my Z down to the auto shop today, to get the carburators synched. The technician that synched the carbs told me that the distributor rod is pretty much worn, and that I should either a.buy a new distributor, or b. get an electronic point conversion kit, and install that. He recommended the electronic kit because I wouldn't have to adjust the points, and the car would have higher performance. I have no idea who makes these kits, so if anyone knows who does, please let me know! (preferably a company that carries them for my 72 Z)

zpeedracer25 08-07-2003 11:47 AM

Go to Zhome.com Then go to the their technical library. You can find an article there on how to wire in the distributor from a 280ZX NA.

zpeedracer25 08-07-2003 11:49 AM

here's the name of the article:

"How To Wire The ZX Distributor and Ignition Module; or the Pertronix Ignition, into your 70-72 OEM Wiring"

Airpilot16 08-07-2003 01:32 PM

hey, thanks. I found a company...but I have no idea what I'm looking for!

zpeedracer25 08-07-2003 02:15 PM

Cheapest way to go would be to buy a distributor off of a 280ZX from the junkyard....too bad for you I sold my spare last weekend...doh!

Airpilot16 08-07-2003 04:54 PM

I think you're missing the point. I don't want to get a new distributor/a different one, all I want is the electric point conversion kit. All I wanted was the Pertronix Ignition set, and I'm wondering what info I would need to make sure that my car is compatible with it.

zpeedracer25 08-08-2003 07:25 AM

Re: electronic point conversion...help!

Originally posted by Airpilot16
I should either a.buy a new distributor, or b. get an electronic point conversion kit, and install that. He recommended the electronic kit because I wouldn't have to adjust the points, and the car would have higher performance

Originally posted by Airpilot16
I think you're missing the point. I don't want to get a new distributor/a different one, all I want is the electric point conversion kit. All I wanted was the Pertronix Ignition set, and I'm wondering what info I would need to make sure that my car is compatible with it.
Thought I had your point nailed down, but guess not.

If your distributor rod is worn as your shop stated, you have no choice other then to rebuild your distributor or replace it. Installing an electronic pickup coil doesn't get you around this. Whether you replace it with the stock points type or go to electronic pickup coil is up to you. Switching to electronic pickup coil run distributor is the best option and buying a used distributor from junked 280ZX is still the cheapest way.

Airpilot16 08-08-2003 07:44 AM

oh, now I get what you were saying! I thought you meant that I had to go buy a distributor and point kit to make it work, not one or the other. I asked the tech about the worn rod, and he said that if I were to install the conversion kit, it wouldn't wear the rod down anymore, and that I'd be fine. Thanks for your help!

zpeedracer25 08-08-2003 07:59 AM

No problem!

Sorry if the previous reply may have sounded a little harsh. Its been a long week between a horrible boss and my not getting any sleep trying to help my wife get hers.....kids due next week!

Airpilot16 08-08-2003 11:35 AM

lol, you weren't harsh, I was kinda irritable, I hate it when you go to get some light work done to your car and then find out there is 19 million other things wrong with it...and I'm trying to keep my Z nice, it's my baby.