ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   dual exhaust (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/dual-exhaust-3187/)

koonsz 09-04-2002 06:56 PM

dual exhaust

Has anyone tried dual exhaust? I saw it only one time at a z club event. don't know how he did it.

Draven 09-04-2002 08:07 PM

Re: dual exhaust

I have not tried them yet, but I know for sure they make them. Pacesetters I think that is what they are called makes them. I saw a picture of them in a British Victoria catalog. So check them out. good luck

"It can't rain all the time"

ZWatcher 09-17-2002 12:26 AM

Are you refering to two tail pipes comming out of one muffler or actual dual exhaust? Victoria British only makes dual exhaust for the 300 ZX.. 240-280 Z(X) come with single exhausts w/dual tips. Dual exhaust is something I would like too for my 280 Z.

zstone 09-17-2002 03:52 AM

wouldn't you have to modify the engine, cause z's only have a single headder coming out of the engine (OK, I'm not a mechanic so I may be using the wrong words, but the pipe that comes out of the engine right before the Cat), so wouldn't you have to do some major engine work to get true dual exhaust with 3 cylindars per tail pipe?

To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human...

kd5izq 09-17-2002 07:07 AM

I don't believe so. I believe that you can purchase a header with 2 outlets, or if you can't purchase one, then you could have one made. Of course I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

Jamie Shelly
kd5izq@msn.com
ICQ - 159705433
IZCC Number is #12402

Spudz 09-17-2002 07:42 AM

Several manufacturers made 6 into 2 type headers. You could just run
the two pipes seperate out the rear. Not much room for this , but it
probably could be done. I understand the the exhuast scavenging
pulse isn't optimized by doing it that way.

ca_zcar 09-17-2002 05:57 PM

Twice Pipes

I've seen "twice pipes" advertised for Zs. They are two pipes that parrallel each other from the header (or manifold) to the rear of the car. The ones that I've seen have a small glasspack-style muffler near the header, and nothing in the rear.

ZR8ED 09-17-2002 06:39 PM

Re: Twice Pipes

yes it can and is still done..

6 into 2 headers are pretty common. simply have a Y pipe made (if not included) mine wasn't with my NISMO header. Then run two pipes side by side. you generally don' use large diameter pipe.. (that is why you use two) 2" max I think.. keep them parallel. Run them to the same side of the car (typical) the other side has the gas tank in the way, and forces it to be hung VERY low to the ground.

I know a guy who took two diff mounts and cut them, and used the two pieces with the notch for the exhaust to form one new diff mount.. this gave the extra clearance he needed to run the pipes under the mount.. (on either side of the diff)

hope it helps ya.

DemonZ 09-17-2002 08:05 PM

yea nismo makes a 6 into 2 header for the 280's you should try
http://nismoparts.safeshopper.com/35/cat35.htm?482
for alot of nismo parts on 240/260/ and 280's

Spudz 09-17-2002 10:45 PM

StrictlyZ can also get Z headers contact them at service@strictlyz.com
or check out their website at www.strictlyz.com

Tell them you got the info from Zdriver.com.... They run this web site.

Mike

240z 09-18-2002 08:18 AM

Yes it can be done but I've heard that you can loose power due to a lack of backpressure.
If you want to do it strictly for looks just get it done towards the end of the car.
The works rally car had dual exhausts out the back I wanted to and still do wanna buy this 240z with the dual works pipes sounds amazing.

Gavin,
Melbourne
Australia
73' Datsun 240z

stev240z 09-18-2002 09:36 AM

The stock exhaust manifold seperates cylnders 1-3 as well as cylinders 4-6. All you would need for true dual exhaust is a custom downpipe to bolt onto the exhaust manifold. If you look carefully, you'll notice that the stock downpipe and collector is a "Y" pipe... 2 into 1. Personally I beleve dual exhaust isn't worth the trouble on Z, especially with the OE 6-cylinder. If you get a 2.5" pipe from the collector back you'll get just the difference that would be desired. UNLESS you just like it for looks.

Even when I put the LT1 in my Z-- I'm gonna stick with single exhaust, but upgrade to 3".. I have 2.5" now.

-Steve
http://hometown.aol.com/stev240z

CroZX 09-18-2002 11:23 AM

Hmmm, is this what you had in mind?

16533-svjetla99999999a.jpg

240z 09-19-2002 05:55 AM

CroZX I love that image did u make it? Looks like 3d Studio max you used there that body kit looks unreal. Anymore angles pics etc.
I really like it.

Gavin,
Melbourne
Australia
73' Datsun 240z

Bleach 09-19-2002 11:57 AM

As far as exhaus flow goes, 2.5 inch is on the high side for a n/a engine. You do loose a little torque (from my observations) with that, and I would now prefer to have gone with a 2.25 inch exhaust. However, from my calculations two 1.75 inch pipes will flow as much as a single 2.5 inch pipe. Dual 2 inch pipes is like having a 3.1 inch single pipe! Way too much flow.

Also, true dual exhaust with no cross-pipe does sound different. Each pipe only has 3 puts per revolution resulting in a slightly lower note. Your exhaust will have a little more rasp to it, which I think is great on a classic sports car.

If you want it to look tough, run your dual 1.75 inch pipes, and then open them up to 2.25 inch near the rear just so they don't look so puny. :-) No, not a 4 inch tip.

http://www.zipcon.net/bleach/pages/zcar/zlogo.jpg

16639-coffeetip.jpg

CroZX 09-19-2002 05:32 PM

Yes I made it in Lightwave 3D. It's not completly finished yet, needs some diteiling. If I ever decide to put a body kit on my car it will be something like this. For now the car has stock bumpers which are not in a good condition. The body kits for 79-83 ZX I found on net look to simple and dont look good on car, for me it's better stock than that. I would like to have one stock and one that looks like this.

16665-svjetlaNew3.jpg

CroZX 09-19-2002 05:34 PM

Here's another one

16666-svjetlaNew1.jpg

CroZX 09-19-2002 05:39 PM

This one has diferent air dam and wheels + big cro plates.

16667-svjetla9999997.jpg

Bleach 09-20-2002 01:52 PM

That looks very much like the Motorsport Euro II kit. The air dam is the same, like on my car, but with two vertical plates installed. That car looks like it is lowered about 3 inches from stock, and has a large rear spoiler.

http://www.zipcon.net/bleach/pages/zcar/zlogo.jpg

Spudz 09-20-2002 02:07 PM

Hey Guys,
On the aero body kit start a new thread on that including your drawings.
I think others would be interested.

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/attat...a99999999a.jpg

Like this so we all can enjoy them [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

240z 09-21-2002 10:48 PM

Hey CroZX they do look great I've never used the 3d program you talk about just 3d studio max. I made a Jet fighter but I would love to model a Z but not sure if my skills are up to that standard just yet.
I'm now considering buy a ZX as a daily driver as it came with Fuel Injection and air con power steering etc. + we never got the 280z here in AUS if we did I'd use one of those as a daily driver.
My 89 Corolla is giving me nothing but trouble so i'm looking at something else to get me around as I have a project in the garage that still hasn't moved. It's a 73 240z but I'm looking into getting that on the road and doing without a car for a couple of months.

Gavin,
Melbourne
Australia
73' Datsun 240z

CroZX 09-23-2002 06:11 PM

I started modeling the car one year ago and still not finished, didn't know how to model some parts of the car so I m not some kind of an expert, all you need is patience. Try to get Lightwave 3D 5.6 or newer couse its much more superior than 3D studio + easier to learn, and its used in movies like Titanic, True Lies, Fifth Element, MIB..itd. If you know the basics of modeling than when working in Lightwave thare is no thing you can't make. You need to understand that there is more than one way to make something, you just need to think of all the possible ways to do it. I olmost give up on the car couse couldn't make the section around the headlights, and finaly after few days off thinking all the possible ways found the solutione. You just need to know the tools and it's not hard to learn. Try it. Just made new rims for the car, Alessio Mito, ones im probably gona put on my car soon. i sew your 240 Z project and you have a lot of work to do.Mine 280 was in a similar condition but after one year its back on the road and it runs great. wish luck with 240. And here is the pic with new rims.

16974-svjetla99999992a.jpg

Spudz 09-23-2002 07:20 PM

I like the 5 spoke wheels better [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Mike

240z 09-24-2002 02:15 AM

Thanks CroZX I just completed a welding course so these Christmas Holidays I plan on getting the body work done and pumping some large money into the project to get it up and going. The white 260z you may have seen got written off and I've missed driving a Z since then.

Gavin,
Melbourne
Australia
73' Datsun 240z