ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   door repair...help! (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/door-repair-help-6354/)

Airpilot16 07-13-2003 02:37 PM

door repair...help!

hey guys, I've got a dilema on my hands. I'm not going to say what happened, because I'm an idiot for letting it happen, but my drivers side door needs to be adjusted, like the door needs to be raised up. I took the door totally off of the hinges, but I didn't find a way to do it, if there is a way, please let me know!

Speed 07-13-2003 08:58 PM

Need more information on your door?

We need more info to help you.

Did you take the hinges apart?
Did you remove the bolts holding the hinges to the body?
Did an elephant sit on the door and its just sagging?
Did you back into a post with the door open and sprung it?

One of the old body shop tricks was to use a floor jack & a block of wood. Place the jack with the wood on it underneath the back edge of the door, jack it up, and you can actually bend the door & frame while they are on the hinges! I would suggest this as only as a last resort however! And bend it slowly! It doesn't take much weight to move a door upwards to fit a door jamb very much!

Speed

Enjoy the Ride;)

Airpilot16 07-15-2003 01:15 AM

well, here's the story...

ok, here's what happened:

I was at a friend's house, and it was dark. It was like, 11:30, and he lives out in the middle of nowhere, so it was dark. I backed out of his driveway onto the street, and I bumped his garbage can (plastic can), and it slid across the side of my car. I freaked out, and pulled the car forward. I put the car in neutral (his driveway has almost no incline, but enough for a car to roll), and I have no emergency brake, so I got out to look (the paint and car were fine) and the car rolls backwards. I scramble to stop the car, trying to hold it in place, and the weight of the car overpowers me, and it rolls backwards. I was stuck between a heavy ass garbage can and a rolling Z, and I finally got the garbage can out of the way after the door was pushed all the way back against it's hinges. The door locks, but needs to be raised up to shut right. As of now, I have to lift the door slightly when entering or exiting my car, otherwise the door scrapes the car where it locks (where the locking mechanism is, the corner of the door scrapes the side of the car. My dad told me that I could take the door off it's hinges, and adjust it accordingly, so I took the door off it's hinges (like the door was all the way off the car) and I saw no way to adjust it. I just put the door back on the car, and left it the way it was. So, now you know...how can I fix it?

oh, and I took the door off of the hinges, not the hinges off of the car

auxilary 07-15-2003 05:23 PM

sounds like you just need to tighten the hinge bolts?

Airpilot16 07-16-2003 12:41 AM

bolts are as tight as I could do it

smoke show 07-22-2003 04:52 PM

probably twisted the hinges. get a bodyshop to bend them back. or get new ones.