ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   clutch repair....you'll get a kick out of this (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/clutch-repair-youll-get-kick-out-6291/)

Airpilot16 07-08-2003 10:17 AM

clutch repair....you'll get a kick out of this

ok, I figured I'd post this and give everyone a laugh...and no Z's were harmed in the making of this message.

ok, I'm 17, and my family has had our 240Z for about 8 years now. My father bought my Z from some guy in Rocklin, CA who was selling it so that he could go to college, and my dad got it for around $3000. Well, the car was driven for a while, but ended up sitting around outside because my dad didn't have time to drive it and my bitch ass step mother didn't have the respect/skills to drive the beast that is the Z. Finally, when I was able to get my license, and my dad divorced my bitch ass step mother, the Z was given to me. When I drive the car to school, work, anywhere, I get so many looks that it's insane. Here in Elk Grove, many of the preppy kids have little honda rice rockets, nothing really good, like maybe a skyline, or they have their shitty ass mustangs that their parents bought them, or maybe the factory camaros that the kids don't know how to drive. My Z has a modified glasspack muffler on it, so it's loud. After driving it for a while, my friends tried to get me to spin the tires. I didn't know how, so I did what I thought--pop the clutch. After a week, my clutch began to slip, so that if I pushed on the gas in 2nd and up, the RPM's would increase, but not the speed of the car. My dad and I adjusted the clutch, but it didn't really make a difference. Last week, I was driving my Z (with the same clutch) and I went to pass this guy. I dropped the Z from 3rd to 2nd to get RPM's up (it didn't slip unless I stomped on the gas), and I passed the guy. As I shifted back to 3rd, the clutch wouldn't engage, so I just rolled down the road. I parked the Z in some guys driveway, and he said I could leave it there until a tow truck came...well, my dad and I had to push it home. On Saturday, my dad and I dropped the transmission and replaced the clutch...and there was no clutch! I don't mean the clutch disc was gone totally, I mean the rubber on the clutch was totally gone! Now the Z drives better than I have ever seen, and it's so smooth it's insane. So, moral of the story: Don't do it if you don't know how! :D

rick458 07-08-2003 02:23 PM

Airpilot what brand and style clutch did you install ?

auxilary 07-08-2003 07:51 PM

so.... how is your dad giving you a $3000 Z different from a kid getting a $3000 honda?

Airpilot16 07-10-2003 02:03 AM

hondas and Z's are different

yep, cuz hondas are shitty, and Z's aren't...

the clutch kit I installed was one I got for 103.77 at AutoZone, nothing really special

TX_zx 07-14-2003 11:02 AM

and now that you spent 100 and time and labor,,,,how often are you going to be dumping the clutch ?

Airpilot16 07-15-2003 01:09 AM

that clutch is staying the hell in there, and in working condition!

rick458 07-15-2003 06:53 AM

I piched up a 260Z Sunday and the Clutch system master cylinder was empty and there was some blob in the bottom of the reservoir. so I will replace the master cylinder and slave cylinder tomorrow
(it seems a hurricane is flooding the area the parts store is in).

TX_zx 07-15-2003 05:06 PM

Originally posted by Airpilot16
that clutch is staying the hell in there, and in working condition!
LOL,, good, one lesson learned;)

Airpilot16 07-16-2003 12:44 AM

sounds good, slave cylinder sounds good, you're going to have to bleed the lines

rick458 07-16-2003 07:53 AM

I am tryint to salage the Master/slave right now
I cleaned all the crap out of the reservoir and am flushing the system right now

If I need to replace them both it will only be about 60 dollars

The clutch plate seems to hold well I used it and the transmission to spin the engine over two nights ago

as soon as I get the gas tank back in I can see if she will start for me now

z_lis 07-18-2003 01:48 PM

I'm wondering if it's hard to replace a clutch? What's all involved, and what needs to come off first?:confused:

rick458 07-18-2003 03:39 PM

The manual reccommends pulling the motor and transmission as a unit and separating them out side the car
but you could leave the motor in place and just drop
the driveshaft and transmission

you need to replace the clutch and pressure plate
and get a clutch line up tool (a little plastic thingy to hold the
clutch plate in alingment until the pressure plate is bolted into position) and a new throwout bearing

a centerforce will cost about $300ish for the clutch and pressure plate but they are the best

goodluck:cool:

zrac3r 07-31-2003 10:20 PM

airpilot u live in elk grove?

if u live in elk grove what color is your Z? i own a 240 and i also live in elk grove.

280zx Fever 08-01-2003 04:30 AM

Originally posted by rick458
The manual reccommends pulling the motor and transmission as a unit and separating them out side the car
but you could leave the motor in place and just drop
the driveshaft and transmission

you need to replace the clutch and pressure plate
and get a clutch line up tool (a little plastic thingy to hold the
clutch plate in alingment until the pressure plate is bolted into position) and a new throwout bearing

a centerforce will cost about $300ish for the clutch and pressure plate but they are the best

goodluck:cool:

Dont have to replace the pressure plate.

Drop the box unsrew the clutch and put a new one in. leave the flywheel in the engine.
You will not need a new Thrust bearing unless yours is ****ed,

Dont take out the engine and gearbox as one, too much hassle if the spend the little more time from doing it with the engine in its time well spent too much to disconnect and re connect the engine.