ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   Carb in need of rebuild? and choke adjusting... (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/carb-need-rebuild-choke-adjusting-6542/)

Alan240z 07-28-2003 07:56 PM

Carb in need of rebuild? and choke adjusting...

Okay, one of my carbs goes out of tune pretty quickly (maybe a couple of months) its always the same carb starts to run rich. Also it makes a rattling sound when the throttle is opened with the engine running. Is this a sign that a rebuild is needed?

Also can some one tell me how to adjust the choke, as i think it might need it (poor cold running, takes a while to run smooth after heating up)

Airpilot16 07-28-2003 10:54 PM

ok, here's what you can try. The choke cable (you can find it by following it out of the cab/seating area/what you please. After finding it, the cable goes to either a.the accelerator linkage, or the cable leads to the adjustment screws on the carburetors. All you have to do is tighten one of the two, and you're in business

Alan240z 07-29-2003 04:50 PM

yeah each choke cables leads to a sort of pivot on each choke. How do iknow when it is adjusted correctly?

Airpilot16 07-29-2003 11:10 PM

well, my carbs aren't synched either, but my choke is set right. For example, my car idles at 800 rpm's when the car is fully warm. upon starting a car, the idle tends to jump some, but if your idle is set right, it should stay in the same range. When I use my choke, the idle speed increases to just about 1000 rpm's. You can tell if your idle speed is correct by leaving the car running at an even idle speed (i.e.-when your car is warm after driving) and adjust the choke until the car seems to increase slightly in rpm speed, just enough to keep it started a little bit better.

Alan240z 07-30-2003 12:37 AM

when i have my choke on full it idles at like 1500-2000rpm
Should i just not use so much?

Samz 08-05-2003 05:13 AM

Zed info

Hi, Alan
Came across your post and noticed your from Adelaide.
I am considering setting up a Z association in Adelaide. Not a
Club as I do not the time or the no how. My idea is simple its
to meet maybe once a month with a other Zed owners. Swap
parts and no how on a social level. I have been into Zeds for
10 years now and I am on my sixth a 240Z.
If you think it might be something you would be inter-
ested in drop me a line. I live in the Port Adelaide area in case
your wondering.
All the Best ! Sam

Airpilot16 08-05-2003 12:42 PM

that's too high, it won't hurt anything, but it might idle rougher than it should, and it'll burn gas poorly. I'd set it down to maybe 1200 at max

rnz 08-05-2003 03:35 PM

very nice polish wheels. I have those wheels but they are dirty and ugly. How do you polish them that shinny?

Alan240z 08-06-2003 12:12 AM

hi samz, i am interested in that definately, i too like you are way to busy to join a club.

Back to the choke, my plugs are fouling way to quickly i.e i replaced them on thursday (a week ago) and they are beginning to foul up (car is starting to miss and back fire)

Surely if the choke is still on or not working properly the colourtune will show the mixture as being rich- so this cant be the problem, could it? Could it have anything to do with the ignition system?

Samz 08-06-2003 01:27 AM

choke and fouling plugs

Hi, Alan
If your engine is tuned right and carbys are balanced
and set up right then its more than likely the carbys they may
need an over-haul. Is all your spark plugs in the same way?
Set your carbys and run without the choke connected to see
how she goes? That will help rule the choke out as the problem.

S U,s can be tricky. I have a very good step by step guild on set-
ting them up. Your welcome to a copy.

If your sure its not the carbs I would maybe check the voltage
regulator. Just guessing as I have had problems with that on
one occassion.

If you get stuck my number is 82484551 or email
(sammonty@optusnet.com.au)

:D

Creator 08-06-2003 09:48 AM

samz, scan up that choke document that you have and email it to me. I'd love to read it. i think im having the same prob as alan.

creatorx@rogers.com

Alan240z 08-08-2003 04:17 AM

yeah they are tuned up allright, which is what makes me think it is the choke. Or something to do with ignition...

nice car btw, i need to post a pic of mine now the back is done. Takes too much effort though

Airpilot16 08-08-2003 04:26 PM

well, the ignition system can cause the Z to backfire and miss. You might want to check your points to make sure they are gapped properly, or they may need to be replaced totally. You can get points for 3~4 bucks down at any auto shop (AutoZone, Kragen's, etc), and you can get a point gap tool from the same place, and the auto place should also be able to tell you how far to gap your points (my 72 Z is gapped at .020)

Airpilot16 08-08-2003 04:27 PM

oh, and if you want to polish your wheels out, try this stuff called Mother's, it's like brasso, but more expensive and meant for chrome.