ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   BRAKE PROBLEM, HELP PLEASE (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/brake-problem-help-please-1020/)

tyco1983 12-27-2001 06:16 PM

BRAKE PROBLEM, HELP PLEASE

Hi All,
I'm having the worst time trying to get the brakes on my '70 240z to work. My pedal initially hasn't felt very stiff at all, being mushy and sloppy, but the car would stop fine. Then i prop the car up 4 days ago to pull the halfshafts and driveshaft to have the u-joints replaced. After replacing them, i drop the car back down to take it for a ride and the brakes are HORRIBLE, i mean i can stop and all but it takes a while, it almost feels like the rears aren't working. SO....i crawl down under the car to take a look and I notice that the passenger side rear brake cylinder is leaking. So, i pulled the whole rear assembly apart and replaced it with a new rear cylinder and new shoes just b/c the old one's were worn down and soaked in brake fluid from the leak. I take it out again.....HORRIBLE still! SO, i did what any reasonable person would do and replaced the brake booster and master cylinder thinking maybe something was wrong up there. Took it out for a spin.....HORRIBLE! So now i don't know what to do. All four corners are bled THOROUGHLY and there are no leaks on my garage floor. Can anyone help? I've never had this problem before. Thanks, Taylor

GodZilla 12-28-2001 06:06 PM

Re: BRAKE PROBLEM, HELP PLEASE

Have you tried applying the brakes on the car while the car is up in the air and having someone spin a wheel to see if its the front or rear?

It almost sounds as if you have a whole in a line someowhere.

JohnCoffey 01-01-2002 04:52 PM

Re: Adjust the rear brakes

Try adjusting the rear brakes.

John Coffey
johnc@betamotorsports.com

Shanemorton280 01-08-2002 06:36 PM

Did you use a remanufactured Master? I only ask because my 78 had the same problem, no brake pedal. I replaced it with a reman same problem.I replaced both rear wheel cyclinders installed braide lines, replaced all my pads and did a complete bleed. took it for a spin and ended up on someones lawn. so I pulled the master and anyways 4 remans later no change. bought a brand new factory master problem solved. still dont understand why but that is just how it is.
Hope this helps you.out

Shane Morton 78 280Z owner.
Z me go - Z me show - Z me gone

zxya 01-08-2002 07:06 PM

I'd start with checking fluid level and ensure it's stable. If your losing fluid I'd be lookin for leaks. For about 10 bucks a piece you can replace the rubber hoses that attach to the wheel cylinder or caliper depending on the application. Should the outer hard rubber shell be cracked - get rid of them! If your unable to get a firm pedal while bleeding then the fluid is bypassing the cups in the master cylinder. I've been bench bleeding replacements for about seven years and have yet to have a problem.