ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   brake lite???? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/brake-lite-2944/)

lil_racer_tony 08-16-2002 11:30 AM

brake lite????

When ever i push on the brakes, the little red brake light goes on. IS THAT BAD?!?!. i thought it was natural in a datsun =P.
What can be the problem?

I recently bought a brake master cylinder, should i put that in?
and i got new brake lines..Would that be all i need to replace? put in more brake fluid?

1974 junkyard 260Z
100% Junk Will be restored to a new car by next year.

Bleach 08-16-2002 11:40 AM

Re: brake lite????

hehe... no, its not bad if you don't care about stopping! Try topping off your brake fluid and see if the light stays off.

You should put in your new brake mater cylinder. You need to bench bleed the thing first. Then put it on and hook up your metal lines. Then put on all your new rubber brake hoses. Be sure to check to see if your car uses "inner" rubber hoses. If so, you may have 6 hoses, not just four. My ZX has 6 total hoses.

THEN, bleed your entire brake system. Let us know if you need clarification on any of those steps.

http://www.zipcon.net/bleach/pages/zcar/zlogo.jpg

lil_racer_tony 08-16-2002 11:58 AM

i bought 70$ stainless seel brake lines =( was it worth all that money? im still waiting for it to come in, how do i bleed it? i know there is a small nut on the caliper right?, am i suppost to leave it so whenever i stop it leaks?? or just let some fluid out so i can pour in more.

-tony-

1974 junkyard 260Z

Skully 08-16-2002 01:37 PM

me and my dad do it this way......
get som1 inside the car to pump and som1 releasing the bleed nut on the caliper.....
pump like 3-4 times then when it gets hard hold the brake down open the valvle till the brake goes down and air comes out then close the valve......repeat like that till no air comes out.......

lil_racer_tony 08-16-2002 02:04 PM

oH, so its is a 2 guy job, Humm, Well thanks for the Help, i will bleed the brakes as soon as i can, or wouldn't it work better if a empty out the brake lines, and just put in new fluid? or will it cause alot of air to enter the brake lines.

1974 junkyard 260Z

Skully 08-16-2002 02:30 PM

ALOT of air ALOT...u can do that to put new oil in but it wont jus push out the iar you havta do that....

Nic 08-17-2002 11:44 AM

Not to ruffle any feathers, but DON'T PUMP THE BRAKES AT ALL!! When you do that the lines will fill with hundreds of bubbles instead of one or two large bubbles. Does this make sense? It is like mixing a bucket of water and oil and stiring it vigerously then trying to take out the oil. It just does not work that way. It was a lesson taught by older mechanics and it's wrong.

The best way and only way to bleed is release pressure and fill fluid one at a time. so,

The bleeder cracks open the bleeder valve and when he/she yells "down!" the pedaler pushs the pedal down and holds it there. The bleeder than snuggs the bleeder valve and yell "up!" when it is snug. The pedaler then pulls or allows the pedal up. The process repeats. This will force large air bubbles out of the system so it is easier to see and garuntee's there are no small bubbles that can later join-up and create one larger bubble. And don't forget to check and fill as needed about every four to five cycles (depending on resivour size)

I don't normally post here, so e-mail if you have any questions.

Nic

DMoysard 08-17-2002 02:55 PM

Another trick to keep it from pulling more air into your brake system is take a peice of rubber hose that fits the bleeder valve and long enough to put it into a jar of clean brake fluid. This will let you see the air bubbles come out so you'll know when you have all of the air out of that line. Also if the person holding the brake pedal lets up before you tighten the bleeder it will pull brake fluid into the system rather than more air.

Also, Nic is right. DO NOT pump the brake pedal or you'll be bleeding the brakes forever.

Keep the greasy side down.
-Mo

Skully 08-17-2002 04:35 PM

well ok wutever worked for me awsome and my dad been doing it for over 20 years.....do whatever u want.....

Aristo 08-21-2002 07:39 PM

Hmmmm.... considering I've been working on cars for about 20 years, everything from 1930's to 2002 year model vehicles, the don't pump method is way off. I don't mean to be a pain, but if you attempt to bleed a pressurized system without adding pressure to the system, you'll be there for about 2 weeks trying to get the air out of the lines. THE BEST way to bleed the brakes is to use a vacuum bleeder that can be purchased fairly cheap at most parts stores, or from most online parts dealers. But in any case the system must be pressurized in order to get the air out. Take it for whatever you think it's worth.

Skully 08-21-2002 08:39 PM

ok but dude why cant u just let this one go we always do it and we get all the air out in like 5 minutes.......

lil_racer_tony 08-21-2002 10:36 PM

people do things differen't ways, Some ways are better then others. Its just how you do it, explaning things over a fourm might now be exactly how they did it, But it is close to how they got the job done.

1974 junkyard 260Z

Skully 08-22-2002 07:40 PM

yeah any road you take as long as you get the job done...