ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   Blown Head Gaskets (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/blown-head-gaskets-1053/)

guru22 01-02-2002 09:45 AM

Blown Head Gaskets

How hard is it to fix a blown head gasket...on a scale of 1-10. I dont have that much experience with mechanics, but am hoping to learn. If it is possible to fix myself, how much would it cost. If its not possible, how much would it cost to have a pro do it? Thanks

BOBZCAR 01-02-2002 02:51 PM

Re: Blown Head Gaskets

Just had mine done, $450. This was at the only shop I use, they specialize in Z's and do very good work. Woulda done it myself but no time with the holidays. Parts to do it yourself consist of mainly a head set. Don't skimp, get one from Nissan, current generation which don't need to be retorqued later, +/- $50. If you have headers use a thicker exhaust gasket such as MSA sells. While you're in there check out the condition of valves & seals, timing chain, tensioner etc., and do what needs doin now! If it's just a head gasket I'd rate it at a 3 if nothing goes awry, could be a 7 if you break bolts, find corrosion, drop the chain, etc.

GodZilla 01-02-2002 03:14 PM

Personaly I would rate it a 7.

My suggestion is if you decide to do it yourself be sure to get a haynes book or some reference book because you will need to go through and re-tune everything once you change it out.

turbobluestreak 01-02-2002 06:40 PM

its a head gasket, All you'll need is the proper tools, a metric allen wrech on a socket, a rachet, a tourch wrech, the Haynes manual so you can reset your timing,and a metric socket set.
This is one of the simpelest things to do; I don't know why so many people make a big deal out of it. Also the aftermarket head gaskets are nice but if your stock don't waste your money those are for performance engine a stock head gasket will work fine.

tbs

BenzGuy 01-02-2002 08:27 PM

nah, a head gasket is a pretty straight forward forward job on an L-Series engine. Buy the book How to rebuild your Datsun/Nissan OHC Engine, not expensive from amazon.com.
I would rate a head gasket job a 4-5. the hardest part is keeping the timing chain from falling. other than that it is pretty simple. make sure you have a torque wrench. the job is not possible w/out one. but seriously it is a pretty simple job that will get you started into engine work. But like i said just get that book and it will be a breeze.

Matt

BenzGuy 01-02-2002 08:31 PM

one more thing, check out www.mercedesshop.com, they have many cheap parts for z-cars and are very reliable. i have already bought over $1000 worth of parts and have not encountered any problems from them

guru22 01-02-2002 08:44 PM

Thanks guys

BenzGuy 01-02-2002 08:47 PM

if you go to mercedesshop.com, go to the online catalog under the fastlane tab. a headgasket is $16 something. and a head gasket set(all of the other gaskets and seals) is $66 something. shipping from them is cheap and they are fast and reliable.

Matt

Tony240Z 01-02-2002 10:37 PM

Anyone have a tip for getting the cam gear on. I'm swapping heads, and I don't know if it's because I tentioned the chain too much by making sure it didn't fall, or if the head I'm putting on has a lot more meat on it and the chain just won't let me go that high.
Is there something that would work as a guide? I've tried a 1/2" extention, and a screw driver, but no luck yet. I'm afraid that I will have to take the front cover off to physicly push the tentioner back for more room.
If I end up having to take the front cover off, do any of you have a tip to getting the crank pully off in an automatic car? Is taking off the starter and then sticking a screw driver into the teeth there the best way?

If I didn't have issues with this damned cam gear the job would have been very easy. I'm putting some turbo head bolts back, along with this P90 head onto my L24 block for a low compression L24ET setup. I have a small intercooler for my turbo setup, hpoefully I can get things together before the end of the week.

`72/`73 240Z
`81 280ZX GL
`85 300ZX Turbo
`87 Toyota Supra Turbo
`95 Mitsu 3000GT

Tony240Z 01-02-2002 10:39 PM

Anyone have a tip for getting the cam gear on. I'm swapping heads, and I don't know if it's because I tentioned the chain too much by making sure it didn't fall, or if the head I'm putting on has a lot more meat on it and the chain just won't let me go that high.
Is there something that would work as a guide? I've tried a 1/2" extention, and a screw driver, but no luck yet. I'm afraid that I will have to take the front cover off to physicly push the tentioner back for more room.
If I end up having to take the front cover off, do any of you have a tip to getting the crank pully off in an automatic car? Is taking off the starter and then sticking a screw driver into the teeth there the best way?

If I didn't have issues with this damned cam gear the job would have been very easy. I'm putting some turbo head bolts back in, along with this P90 head onto my L24 block for a low compression L24ET setup. I have a small intercooler for my turbo setup, hpoefully I can get things together before the end of the week.

`72/`73 240Z
`81 280ZX GL
`85 300ZX Turbo
`87 Toyota Supra Turbo
`95 Mitsu 3000GT

5905-block.jpg

Ben 01-02-2002 10:44 PM

using vise grips on the centre boss, turn the cam to & fro just a bit.

I seem to have the same problem every time I take off the sprocket - the chain doesn't look long enough, but it is...

Ben 01-02-2002 10:47 PM

Is your engine stock L24 w//P90? If so you're gonna be able to run bigtime boost... 7.62:1 CR. But it could be pretty soggy down low.

Tony240Z 01-03-2002 09:55 AM

Yep, L24 with P90 head with a L28 gasket gives ya 7.56:1 CR (don't forget about the larger gasket). I hope to max out the injectors on this engine. I don't know what the most powerful L24 block has been, but hopefully I can push the limits of the stock bottem end. I have a pretty good background with turbo charging, so I should be able to push it without breaking it. If I do, I'll just rebuild my L28ET bottom end in the garage and drop it in.
I didn't realize that I'm going to have to change out the distrobutor/oil pump shaft, so I'll be doing that shortly. I think I'll just take the front cover off just to make sure I get everything perfect.

`72/`73 240Z
`81 280ZX GL
`85 300ZX Turbo
`87 Toyota Supra Turbo
`95 Mitsu 3000GT

5921-fiIntake.jpg

stev240z 01-03-2002 10:27 AM

I have 2 points to make:

I can see how you can change the head gasket on your Z without even taking the intake/exhaust off.. not impossible, just in the way... if you just want to change that gasket...

As for the cam sprocket, I used to have SOO much trouble putting that damn gear back on the cam!!! I would put the bolt on through the gear to the cam and move it back and forth until it went on, using screw drivers, crow bars and such to bring the gear up, and look thru the hole...

This was until I discovered that the notches around the outside of the gear match up with the holes that the nub on the cam goes through, so you simply need to look from the top, match a notch with the nub on the cam.. tap it on with a soft mallet (or your fist), and there you go!

Good luck.. I've changed heads on Z's about 10-15 times, including pulling heads off of donor cars at the junkyard...

I now rate it at a 2, having done it so many times... however it still is a day's work.

Make sure you get a 10mm allen wrench socket and a torque wrench that will fit it before you start!!!

-Steve
http://www.geocities.com/stev240z

Tony240Z 01-03-2002 06:18 PM

Whelp, I gave up trying to find slack in the timing chain and pulled the front cover off. I stuck some rope down into one of the spark plug holes to allow me to get the crank pully off. Came off easlily with my puller. I installed the chain without the tentioner, got the cam gear on, and then stuck the tentioner in.
Here is a picture of my turbo fuel injection on my `73 240Z http://www.zhome.com/~aktar/zcar/73/turbofi/1stLeft.jpg
I just need to put my turbo oil pump in, and hook up some more wires and we'll see how fast I'll be. That is a Mercedes V8 65MM throttle body there in the picture that I have modified to fit onto the stock intake manifold. I hope to get the manifold jet-hot coated soon. Notice the cold start injector. They are not stock for 280ZX turbo setups, but I'll be using it for grabbing a few more pounds of boost, I hope. I'll post another thread on details as soon as I get it running

`72/`73 240Z
`81 280ZX GL
`85 300ZX Turbo
`87 Toyota Supra Turbo
`95 Mitsu 3000GT

5937-MVC-324F.JPG

Ben 01-04-2002 12:47 AM

Tony, where's the intercooler??????

Ben
Adelaide,
South Australia