Old 01-30-2005, 10:29 PM

280z(turbo swap) Project... HELP

Okay.. here is the deal, i just bought this car:
http://www.g20.net/gallery/data/3300/3106dats1.jpg

First some history on the car:
-1975 280zx N/A Shell and Chassis
-1983 280zxT (turbo) engine.. fully built, under 60K
-F54/p90 turbo engine-
-can go here for more info:http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread....hreadid=31297-

It has the following issues that i want to take care of NOW:
*Turn signals do not work... they turn on with running lights, but do not blink (front lip is not stock)
*Reverse Lights do not work when put in Reverse (they are there just don't light up)
*SPEEDOMETER..AND TACH do not function.

These are main issues as of now, just for drivability issues. i have been searching on the net for more Z forums, so i can find more information, but nothing has been helping, and I need the car to be GOOD to run shortly so i can drive it around looking for jobs (not fun driving without blinkers or reverse light, or knowing how fast you are going).

Anyway...
1- speedometer issue is I THINK, due to the fact the engine is out of a different aged car and because of this the wiring is not the same... but is there anyway to WIRE up the speedometer and/or tach to work? Would it be easier to just find a 1983ish turbo Z at a junkyard with the speedometer wires in tact? where would they run?

2- Tachometer not working is not a huge issue... I do have an aftermarket one laying around, anyone know wher ei can get a wiring diagram on how to hook it up to my engine?

3- How about the blinkers.. it appears after doing some research the front bumper/lip is NOT from this car originally, so would i need to figure out how to make those blink.. or just try n find the grill mounted blinkers the older Z's had on them already??

4- Finally... how about the Reverse? is it hooked up to the transmission or just somewhere in the center console somewhere??? Please let me know...

PS Anyone know any good shops in CALI? perferably LA area... So i can ask them to fix other issues (like the heater).

Thanks sooooo much for ANY input, anything puts me a step closer to finishing.

Thanks again,
Roy
Old 02-04-2005, 05:05 PM
the Dude

Wait, that's Len's car! Did you buy the car in bay area, probably union city/fremont, or SF? from a tall asian dude named Leonard?

There's no speedo wire: it's a mechanical speedo - cable driven. The cable will run down from the back of the tack behind the dash under the car into the transmission. Sounds like the cable was damaged, or not sealed up/lined up correctly.

Replace tach with an autometer unit: 3 wires, easy as pie.

Reverse lights are a single wire going to a sender on the transmission. When car's in reverse, it completes the circuit and lights turn on. Make sure it's there and plugged in.

Last edited by auxilary; 02-04-2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

lol YUP thats Lens old 280Z.. he missed it so much he just bought my cousins 75 280 to replace it...
Old 02-06-2005, 10:35 PM

My next Z is a tax writeoff, tax write off, tax writeoff.
Yes, I am a Baller....
Old 02-07-2005, 02:51 PM

Len we think alike. I want my next Z and all the parts to be tax write offs. Just have to get a side business going first.

Congratulations on the buy Roy. The car will be a blast to drive.

Last edited by veyenyl; 02-07-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by 96WhiteG20
Okay.. here is the deal, i just bought this car:
http://www.g20.net/gallery/data/3300/3106dats1.jpg

First some history on the car:
-1975 280zx N/A Shell and Chassis
-1983 280zxT (turbo) engine.. fully built, under 60K
-F54/p90 turbo engine-
-can go here for more info:http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread....hreadid=31297-

It has the following issues that i want to take care of NOW:
*Turn signals do not work... they turn on with running lights, but do not blink (front lip is not stock)
*Reverse Lights do not work when put in Reverse (they are there just don't light up)
*SPEEDOMETER..AND TACH do not function.

These are main issues as of now, just for drivability issues. i have been searching on the net for more Z forums, so i can find more information, but nothing has been helping, and I need the car to be GOOD to run shortly so i can drive it around looking for jobs (not fun driving without blinkers or reverse light, or knowing how fast you are going).

Anyway...
1- speedometer issue is I THINK, due to the fact the engine is out of a different aged car and because of this the wiring is not the same... but is there anyway to WIRE up the speedometer and/or tach to work? Would it be easier to just find a 1983ish turbo Z at a junkyard with the speedometer wires in tact? where would they run?

2- Tachometer not working is not a huge issue... I do have an aftermarket one laying around, anyone know wher ei can get a wiring diagram on how to hook it up to my engine?

3- How about the blinkers.. it appears after doing some research the front bumper/lip is NOT from this car originally, so would i need to figure out how to make those blink.. or just try n find the grill mounted blinkers the older Z's had on them already??

4- Finally... how about the Reverse? is it hooked up to the transmission or just somewhere in the center console somewhere??? Please let me know...

PS Anyone know any good shops in CALI? perferably LA area... So i can ask them to fix other issues (like the heater).

Thanks sooooo much for ANY input, anything puts me a step closer to finishing.

Thanks again,
Roy
check in centralvalleyz.org,i answered your questions there
Old 02-13-2005, 03:02 PM

Thats my old car. Good luck Roy
Just start a business. It will be official next week, NISMOBB Motorsports LLC baby.
Oh, I do need a vehicle for work related purposes to help bring in business right?
Ok, and it should be representative of what the business is about right?
Work car specs:

88k original 75 280z, no rust, original paint very weathererd.

Next week Im going to grab
97-01 Vh41 (q45 engine)
32V DOHC, all alum, 4.1liter, 278hp/292lbs(this is with a huge power robbing automatic transmission, restricted intake, at least 2 cats, and a puny exhaust and very conservative stock timing and fuel, should make at least 300-315rwhp with good fuel and timing trim. Numbers arent amazing, but this should make a reliable autox/drift setup. DIS coil pack setup.
6600rpm fuel cut, will spin 7k with tuning, and be capable of 170mph.
10.5 compression, forged crank and rods with moly coated pistons and sodium filled valves. 6 bolt mains with girdle, FACTORY....
92 z32TT 5speed manual conversion, Factory twin turbo clutch.
Haltech E11v2, on paper factoring what I think time is worth, this is cheaper than making factory harness work.

Brakes:
this will have to wait until I get the engine started and tuned.

z31 rotor with 4runner brakes and KVR pads
s13 rear brakes z31 rotors KVR

Body:
NOT A DAMN THING PLANNED, except a cheap paint job when swap and brakes are done.
Interior:
NOTHING, I have an 8 track factory setup which I plan to add noise filters to and replace the speakers with something cleaner.

Suspension"
Car has tokicko springs and shocks, and urethane bushings everywhere except a arms and mustache bar. Will probably add a LSD diff and CVs if my half shafts go, Ive had great luck with Halfshafts and considerably more power than I plan for this project, so we will see.

In the 4200lb q45, this engine gets 17 and 23mpg, with 1400lbs of load removed, I should be able to get at least 25mpg fwy and 4on the street