ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   240z what engine...? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/240z-what-engine-5749/)

alfman240z 05-19-2003 12:49 PM

240z what engine...?

i just bought my first z car. a 71 240z with alot of body work todo. i was sitting here wondering what kind of engine to put inside where i can get the most bang for my buck. theres a shop out here in san diego called Mckinny motorsports that will swap a RB25det for a grand total of about $9k-$12k estimated. but i have heard of people putting out close to 500+ hp to 600+ hp out of a 280zxt (L28et). how much would it cost to crank out that much power? is it worth it or should i go with a hybrid v8? and what would need to be done for a v8 swap... how much. just remeber that im a college student that is a speed freak with no dough ($$) well at least not that much. trying to get some sugestions while im working on all the wonderful body work that im stuck with. oh yeah the shop will also swap a SR20det for about $9k or "japans ultimate weapon (rb26dett)" for a killer $18k. thanks for what ever info you guys give me...

veyenyl 05-19-2003 04:53 PM

Check this thread https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showt...&threadid=4965

nismo_trip 05-22-2003 04:03 PM

Damn that is a lot of money for an RB25 swap! In Australia for 9 - 12 k (18 - 24 k $AUS) you could get a RB26DETT fitted with a decent turbo setup (HKS maybe) And many other mods and probably be making around 250 - 300 kW at the rear treads (um around 400 hp maybe more ?).

alfman240z 05-22-2003 07:10 PM

well...

yeahi know what you mean its alot but its done by a professional shop. i would swap it out myself if i knew how and if i wasnt so afraid to do some tricky wiring. im still learning about my 240 little by little cause im still in the restoration process of bringin my car back to life. i would love to go out to austraila and get it done how much would it cost me to bring my car out there and back haha... i know that there are people out there that are going to say its easy but for a college student with limited abilities and limited cash flow its another story. my dad works well on cars and i know if he WANTED to he could help me out and get this job done alot easier and fast on our own but the thing is he doesnt want me to spend that kind of money to put me in a car that can go that fast thats 30 years old. also in america parts for a rb engines arent that readily available i know there becoming easier to find but there not at your local parts shop you still have to go and find them, and they aint cheap you know... im just alittle skiddish about doing this kind of a swap on my own im semi mechanially inclined not a bob villa of cars more like a tim allen for you home improvement fans out there....

nismo_trip 05-23-2003 03:59 PM

I never thought that America would have trouble sourcing RB parts, then again you guys drive on the other side of the road in left hand format and skylines were only ever released in Japan in big numbers and where right hand drive, In australia the top import cars out there are skylines and there Is lots of people around my age (18-20) racing them and crashing them so parts are redily availiable, and there is loads of half cuts bought in all the time, also I spose its kinda closer to Japan and shipping is easier, As for shipping your car here and working on it DONT BOTHER lol you have to go through the whole compliance, registration and tax process which will cost you something around $4000, and with the engine why not just work your L series and have an N/A beast ?(please no nos^^!)... My solution to all of this? MOVE TO JAPAN !(going in August cant wait !). Neway nuf said..

Nismo_Trip

Zbull 06-16-2003 03:07 PM

as for making 500-600 hp from an l28et, its possible, but definitely not cheap or easy. making that much power means high maintanance bills and im sure engines become more temperamental the more power it makes. if i was in your situation i would just buy an l28et. dump a few grand into it and have 300+hp in a 2200lb car. just remember its not the power you make, but the power to weight ratio that matters