ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/)
-   -   Would my bungee cord qualify for correct battery hold down? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/would-my-bungee-cord-qualify-correct-battery-hold-down-20088/)

Fast240Z 09-19-2006 07:28 PM

Would my bungee cord qualify for correct battery hold down?

As with almost every S30 that I have run across, the battery in my Z is being held down with a tied up bungee cord. The cord is tight and in good shape, and the battery does not come off of its perch when I get crazy in my Z. I'm considering taking the Z down to the drag strip to see what I can run before I rebuild the engine, and then run it again after the engine is rebuilt, and the battery right now is my only concern for not passing tech inspection.

Anyone know if my bungee will suffice?

NismoPick 09-19-2006 07:42 PM

Should be fine.... maybe just to be sure, you could use some black wire loom to hide the bungee.

snwbrderphat540 09-19-2006 07:49 PM

wont pass tech inspection for racing though.

Fast240Z 09-19-2006 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
wont pass tech inspection for racing though.

Racing, in the sense of road racing? All I want to do now is just run it at the track.

RodMoyes 09-19-2006 08:23 PM

No... A bungie cord is not an adequate hold down for your battery.

2 bungie cords though... Is perfect! that's what i'm using!!! :)

Rod.

Fast240Z 09-19-2006 08:44 PM

hmmm...that means I'll have to find a better hold down for my battery...

theramz 09-19-2006 08:47 PM

duct tape that mf

Z Car Barbie 09-19-2006 08:48 PM

Yah, the bungie cord won't pass inspection for racing purposes, nor suffice as a proper restraint for everyday driving.

Fast240Z 09-19-2006 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Z Car Barbie
Yah, the bungie cord won't pass inspection for racing purposes, nor suffice as a proper restraint for everyday driving.

I'd agree with the racing one, but my bungee cord rocks for everyday driving. I used to have a rope that held it on, but it slipped one time and ripped one of my spark plug wires. The bungee is held onto the support that the fender is bolted onto, and has less than 3 inches of play, since the bungee connects to the handle on the battery.

But, my bungee doesn't matter. Does anyone have any idea for proper battery hold down? I looked at some battery hold down boxes at the auto parts store, but none appear like they will work with our Z's.

Z Car Barbie 09-19-2006 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fast240Z
I'd agree with the racing one, but my bungee cord rocks for everyday driving. ... Does anyone have any idea for proper battery hold down? I looked at some battery hold down boxes at the auto parts store, but none appear like they will work with our Z's.

Oh, I didn't mean to infer that the cord won't work at all, but I don't know of any State that allows them (legally) as a proper restraint for the battery.

You can buy the frame, rods and bolts from lots of places, such as Advance Auto, Z Specialties, Auto Parts Warehouse, Nissan Parts Wholesale, eBay, etc. I bought a billet aluminum tie-down with an engraved "Z" in the center from SPL Parts a few years ago, but don't see them listed on their website anymore.

SHADY280 09-20-2006 09:01 AM

if you ever want to race, in any sense of the word, that totally wont do, the tech guys even make you cover the positive terminal with rubber, or duct tape (they only allow that in a pinch) it can cause a fire, and a toasty z isnt cool. id do what zcarbarbie said and look around real good

veyenyl 09-20-2006 10:05 AM

Just go to Kragen or pepboys and get one of those rubber tie downs with the hooks and wing nuts. Costs less than $10. Looks like this.

http://www.izook.com/tech/samurai/en...images/008.jpg

Not my battery :unibrow:

wreckedj30 09-20-2006 07:10 PM

I don't know, mine just chills there, right now i don't have any thing there holding it down. I hit speed bumps, drag and rally/drift mine, it just chills there no movement at all.:unibrow:

CraigS 09-20-2006 07:13 PM

Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. Nothing holding it down? Damn.

wreckedj30 09-20-2006 07:58 PM

Yup its just posted up, were ever and when ever.