ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/)
-   -   Where does it go.... (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/where-does-go-36766/)

professor229 12-28-2012 05:57 AM

Where does it go....

Worked on the car again yesterday for a few hours and solved a lot of problems as usual, but one I cannot figure out I will have to ask about. I looked at the wiring of the coil, ballast resistor area one last time before pulling the switch and checking the circuits at the switch... As I was studying the coil area, I followed the circuits and in particular one harness to the distributor area. In that harness, there are three wires. The first wire I assume is the low tension lead wire to the distributor and that mates with the condenser on the outside of the distributor. The second wire has a round connector end on it and goes just below the thermostat housing and one would guess, that is for the temperature sending unit? It is not important at the moment, because it is connected and appears to be correct. Now, for that third wire. It has a spade bit female connector end on it looking for a spade bit near the distributor to plug into... I see nothing... it is hanging there looking for a home. When someone is looking at their 240Z 2.4 (mine is a 70-71) would you please take a glance to see where that wire attaches to? To me, there should be something like another sending unit... It won't reach very far.. maye three four inches at most... and there seems to be nothing in that area... If this doesn't make sense, I would happy to take a digital photo of the wire and location..... thanks....

PS.. At long as we are at it, I might ask for some help on the wire leading to your ballast resistor as well... leading in on the radiator side of mine is a green/yellowish(?) wire..... out the back of the ballast resistor is a black wire. I am still not convinced, that the previous owner did not screw this up.... Further.. for the high tension wire circuit to work when the key is turned to start, it would seem to me that the bypass for the 12 volt to the distributor should have more wires leading directly to the distributor, by passing the ballast resistor... I have studied this circuit, understand the theory behind it, but do NOT see it in existence... If I take some pictures of my coil area/ ballast resistor, would someone be willing to compare it to their car? I know I am asking a lot, but I am 99% sure that the guy who owned it before me, guessed a lot..... I have a long way to go on this starting problem.... and need to spend some time after the holidays and the company is gone... Thanks again...

Dennis

NismoPick 12-28-2012 06:38 AM

A picture is worth 1000 words... :D

professor229 12-28-2012 08:34 AM

Pictures

You are right... check out this link to my FLICKR account for this project build.... they do have some captions on them... If anybody cares to try to explain that loose connection I would appreciate it... Also, does the coil/ballast resistor look right? Should there be a wire that by passes that ballast resistor? and goes to the hot side of the coil and out the other side? Yes... I am searching for answers..... before I tear into the column to look at the switch.... Thanks for your help

Flickr: MSRA 240Z's Photostream