ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/)
-   -   Transmission oil leak (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/transmission-oil-leak-40462/)

Pez 12-11-2014 07:06 AM

Transmission oil leak

I removed the driveshaft as I am servicing the differential mount. I noticed yesterday that the transmission is leaking from the back. I had previously checked the FSM to get an idea for the driveshaft removal, and I noticed:

"Watch for oil leakage from the transmission rear end. Take proper action if oil leak is discovered.", however it didn't elaborate.

I got under the car yesterday to progress on the diff mount, and sure enough there is a leak of oil from the transmission rear end.

Do I just need a new seal? I looked at the transmission section of the FSM and nothing really jumped out at me as to what the 'proper action' might be in this case, nor were there instructions for how to replace just the rear transmission seal.

Any advice?

Zdon 12-11-2014 08:08 AM

Leak

Hey Pez, what do you think it is if there is a leak that you can see ? Let me know what you think.

beg3yrs 12-11-2014 08:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Do you know if it was leaking before you pulled the driveshaft?

These things will leak out the back end if they are at an angle and the shaft is pulled. It could also be an overfill. Check the level, it should be just up to the level of the fill hole on the side.

Take a look at the tranny in the lower right part of the photo. That sucker made a huge mess, as did the tranny I pulled from another car. Someday I will learn to drain the oil properly.

Now, you have a five-speed and this one's a four, but I don't think there's much difference at the shaft.

Pez 12-11-2014 08:21 AM

I dont think it was leaking...

I supposedly had the seal replaced last summer by a nissan dealer (the only mechanic in town that will touch my car). I should always ask for my old parts back.

My thoughts are that it was
- the wrong seal
- was not installed properly
- I bothered it out when I pulled the shaft

I will get under there on my lunch hour and see if I can catch a drip and see where its coming from.

Cheers

beg3yrs 12-11-2014 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the shaft end of mine after being serviced. Don't know if it will help but maybe it will give you a reference.

Pez 12-11-2014 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 12812

It's leaking across the seal from further inside the unit...

beg3yrs 12-11-2014 02:49 PM

Sure seems like that's where I had the oil deluge in my original photo. I looked at the Haynes book and can't easily tell how the seals work. If you've got any kind of a "dangle" to the transmission, try putting a jack under it and level it. If the leak stops, I think you're OK. If it was me, I'd put things back together when I'm ready, check the oil level in the transmission and then monitor for further leaks.

Hopefully someone with more "chops" than I will chime in here.

turbopuppy 03-01-2015 11:32 AM

It's only a leak when the shaft is inserted into the transmission. The shaft and seal keep oil in the transmission. Oil came out when you pulled the shaft. Put it back together and clean it up. Check for leakage after a couple days