ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/)
-   -   tranny is going i think (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/tranny-going-i-think-2415/)

Skully 06-29-2002 12:29 PM

tranny is going i think

well i put it in gear and it accelarates but the rpm goes way to high for the speed
and when im in 3rd bout 3400 rpm i step on it rpm goes up but no accel

Zpeed 06-29-2002 02:41 PM

Re: tranny is going i think

I'm pretty sure that is slippping clutch... check ur clutch for wear, and replace if need be...

a gearbox will go, if u put it in a gear and it won't get out of it, or it can't go into a gear anymore, or u put it into a gear, and u hear the bang and oil is everywhere.. if ur gearbox goes, u will know it...

i'm pretty sure its ur clutch that has worn out, it is called slipping where u have it in gear and clutch out, and u put ur foot on the accelerator and it takes a second or 2 for it to hook up...

<font color=blue>76 260z</font color=blue>
The NiteRider

Skully 06-29-2002 02:52 PM

well i can get a clutch for i dunno 100 bux and replace it or i can get a 5 speed tranny (i heard the old owne really [censored] with the tranny) for same and replace the whole thing its much easier and less work

AlansZ 06-30-2002 12:24 AM

that does sound like a slipping clutch. Does the clutch not engage as sharply as it should, i.e it revs higher as you release the clutch. Does it stink as well? clutchs stink when you they slip ( at leas the one on our landcrusier did)

Alan, Australia

Skully 06-30-2002 01:02 AM

ok all it does is
i put it in 1st les say and i step on it rpm goes to roof and my car moves slowly
so tranny i sok its jus cllutch? is it hard to replace all that

280ztom 06-30-2002 09:38 AM

Don't bother with the trans, it is definitely the clutch slipping.

Skully 06-30-2002 12:09 PM

how hard is it to replace what i need to replace cuz if its too much i dunt wanna bother ill sell it get some other car and then later when im done school buy a 300zx (TT if possible)
i dunt wanna throw away much money into it

Zpeed 06-30-2002 06:31 PM

a clutch, well u get them in a clutch kit from ur local car parts place... i get them for around AU$100 so u can prolly get them for US$50-70

the amount of work, matters how good u are with cars, and removing stuff...

i dont need to sell the car because ur clutch is gone, clutches wear out all the time on cars, so its just replacing, for me it took me around 3-4 hours.... but if you don't really know what u are doing, possible 6hours or so... if you have a haynes manual it shows u how to do it in there, the main part is that u get it all aligned properly so that the shaft just slips in first go, as if u don't get it 100% alignd properly you can be trying to push the gearbox in there for a few hours to no prefail..

The NiteRider

Skully 06-30-2002 08:46 PM

aite i got hanes manual ill go look for a clutch kit and replace this my dad is really good with any car (cept new electrical crap) so hell help for sure aite thx

Zpeed 06-30-2002 08:49 PM

yer if ur dad has had experaince, get him to help ya, and u'll be fine.. thats how i did my first clutch,

The NiteRider

Skully 06-30-2002 10:02 PM

wow my first clutch.....i feel like a man now.....
oh do i havta bleed the system or anything ??

ghostkilla2179 06-30-2002 10:06 PM

hey man good job! it was easy wasnt it? go under the car and bleed the slave cylinder while somebody sits in the driver seat and pump the clutch pedal. you bleed it just like brakes. pump, release pressure, pump, release pressure. make sure you have the car secure on jackstands because i want to you to reply to this.

David K- SoCalZ Prez

Skully 06-30-2002 11:38 PM

the bleed screw is totaly bad is there a special screw taht can replace it or what like the screw doesnt come in reubuild kits for cylinders

ghostkilla2179 07-01-2002 12:39 AM

thet is a special screw you can get from any auto parts place. what i would do just to make it run, just use vice grips and make them reallllly tight on the bleeder screw to break it loose. you can then open and close it with the handle on the vice grip, and when you are done just tighten it back up. good luck

David K- SoCalZ Prez

Skully 07-03-2002 03:36 PM

well they finaly got the clutch in damn (no parts here in canada :P) anyways smells so good and new
what are some differences i can expect with this one from the old worn out one (this new one isnt something special like centerforce or nuttin since i dunt have that much HP)
like can i expect a bit better acceleration and pick up?

Zpeed 07-03-2002 11:08 PM

well if its a new clutch, it would mean, that when ur reving the car is moving if the clutch is out, not just sitting in one stop..

also u can rip some nice burnouts now, as it is more responsive..

times will improve if the old clutch was really wasted.. otherwise i can just see it hooking up more..

The NiteRider

Skully 07-04-2002 09:51 AM

other one sucked
well awsome
well since my dad has lots of experience with 5 speeds hes helpin me well start any day now
he used to take his WHOLE car apart every year and redo everything, it wasnt even a sports car either jus a family car back in 80's but i dunno he likes to take car of cars not anymore hes in bad shape now since hes gotta work like a slave here to make ends meet

Skully 07-06-2002 09:48 AM

WELL WELL WELL HELLO MR. MECHANICS!!!!!! heheh ....
it turns out my clutch it good it was my brake line that was leaking but i have no idea why the clutch slipped now its working like a charm when i replaced the rear right brake line
hehe well thx for help guys ill c if i still need the clutch....my dad says is alot of work specialy when u dunt have the right jacks to lift the car (we dunt) ........see even tho i missed out something and didnt tell u u still helped me (wrong part) but im not gonna leave this forum....lol people make mistakes....200 FREAKEN DOLLAR MISTAKES GRRRR!!!
lol ill take the part back put the 200 bux towards the paint job

zguy36 07-19-2002 11:12 PM

Skully, I don't want to sound like a jerk, but changing the right rear brake line has nothing to do with the clutch. Fixing that wouldn't have affected it at all. If you were having clutch problems before, then your clutch is bad. What you did is got the clutch hot because it was slipping (maybe from working it too much) and it got worse. Once it cooled down, it started to work again. This doesn't mean it is still good though. Trust me, you will be very happy with a new clutch at the responsivness of your car.
-jeremy-

Skully 07-20-2002 10:31 AM

lol man i know brakes got nuttin to do with it
i dunno why its good now but i dun care saved me 200 dollars lol