240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Su Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 01:33 AM

Exclamation Su Oil

So recently I finished my engine ground up build and got it in the car. everythings hooked up and I got it running. while i was in the process of adjusting timing, air fule mixutre and syncronizing the carbs i noticed liquid on my exaust manifold burning off, at first i thought it was gas dripping from somehwere and that wasnt the case, i turned off the Z and checked around, there was oil underneath my balance tube, on my exaust manifold, backside of my individule air filters and on the engine bay wall on the driver side, i noticed that while reving these droplets appeared, so i took the tops off my carbs and pulled the slides out, there is oil getting into my mixture from the oil in my slides! i assumed that maybe i had to much in there, so i empteid them out and put new oil in there, i filled them up to the second line and made sure each slide felt the same going up, i started my Z up again and it does it again! its almost as if the oil is comming from my balance tube, I thought about changing the oil with atf to make sure that the oil i have splattering is from the carbs, so insted of having oil everywhere id have red oil everywhere,

what should I do?

thanks guys

Richard
Old 04-22-2007, 08:21 PM

It certainly is the oil from the SU's the red oil is the transmition oil thats placed into the SU's however the issue you have is internal on the SUs take them apart and make shure all the seals inside are good and check if the sus have any internal cracks or holes where the oil might be traveling into the gas/air mixture chamber. thats the only place wher eyou would have RED oil coming out of the car. it really cant be the balance tube because the oil SHOULD stay first of all inside the carbs and not get out in the first place. if anything burn a little of it off due to worn seals. But nothing THAT drastic as all that oil being splattered into your firewall etc etc. Just check the inside of the sus and make shue for any missing or worn seals or cracks.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:51 PM

As was stated, the oil must be from the Carbs. If you do over fill the dampeners the excess should just go down into the intake and be burned by the engine. having oil from the carbs ending up on the engine . This is not normal . Try and send a email to ZTherapy . As for the oil for the dampeners , once this leak is sorted out , use some 20w you will find it superior to ATF . Much better throttle response off idle. I use motor cycle fork oil. Gary