ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/)
-   -   Please help me!! 1976 280Z (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/please-help-me-1976-280z-24494/)

mowermechanic 01-01-2008 01:12 PM

FUSIBLE LINKS!! AHA and F.I. RELAY?! Isn't that seperate from the Fuel Pump relay? Yet it still controls the fuel pump? Imma double check the afm and making sure it's sending a power signal to the fuel pump. THen fusible links... And then, the F.I. Relay... And i still can't find the fuel pump relay?

mowermechanic 01-01-2008 03:33 PM

Success!!

So i followed the AFM wiring into the cabin (under the dash on the drivers side) and mounted to the wall where the wires went, was a relay or 2, and a couple box shaped connectors, and i disconnected them, and reseated them, AND VOILA!! Somebody way too big prolly tried getting in the car and beat the underside of the dash to hell is what i'm assuming.... but no more toggle switch.... now to get it running smooth ( Temp sensors, vacuum advance on distributor, timing, fuel pressure regulator, cold start valve) When i listen to the fuel injectors, they all "click" evenly. Does that mean they are "for sure" good?

snwbrderphat540 01-01-2008 03:56 PM

a click you hear doesnt mean crap necessarily, pull the fuel rail with the injectors still on and clean them out. there is a write-up on here how to do it good. then you can also see if they are all working, its baby stuff real simple.

mowermechanic 03-03-2008 12:09 PM

So after USPS screwed me over, (calling them after this) i bought 6 injectors for 9 bucks at a junkyard, new fuel lines. Cleaned the connections. It runs AWSOME. I need to clean this set, because some make more of a difference when i unplug one then others. BUT WHEN I GET THESE CLEANED, I"M DRIVING THEM TO AND FROM THE CLEANING PLACE!! Point being, after i got the Z running. MY BLINKERS DONT WORK!! All my fuses are good, and the fusible links also. I tested the 3 wires from the steering column (blinker wires), 2 green with a stripe, and 1 white? the green wires being, if i remember right, the blinkers, and the 1 white being the power? Anywayz, i used a test light and powered it from the fuse block and both blinker (ground?) wires light up teh test light., but i don't get any light when i ground the test light and try the green wire? UGH!! I FIX ONE THING, THEN ANOTHER GOES!! (murphy's law?) So i thing the blinker wiring harness isn't getting power? imma try to hotwire the blinkers to see if they light up. that would mean the ground is good? ANY INPUT IS GOOD INPUT

BoulderZ 03-04-2008 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by mowermechanic
So after USPS screwed me over, (calling them after this) i bought 6 injectors for 9 bucks at a junkyard, new fuel lines. Cleaned the connections. It runs AWSOME. I need to clean this set, because some make more of a difference when i unplug one then others. BUT WHEN I GET THESE CLEANED, I"M DRIVING THEM TO AND FROM THE CLEANING PLACE!! Point being, after i got the Z running. MY BLINKERS DONT WORK!! All my fuses are good, and the fusible links also. I tested the 3 wires from the steering column (blinker wires), 2 green with a stripe, and 1 white? the green wires being, if i remember right, the blinkers, and the 1 white being the power? Anywayz, i used a test light and powered it from the fuse block and both blinker (ground?) wires light up teh test light., but i don't get any light when i ground the test light and try the green wire? UGH!! I FIX ONE THING, THEN ANOTHER GOES!! (murphy's law?) So i thing the blinker wiring harness isn't getting power? imma try to hotwire the blinkers to see if they light up. that would mean the ground is good? ANY INPUT IS GOOD INPUT

With all the underdash work you've been doing, it's possible that you've bumped the plug/connection to the hazard switch in the center console. The signals won't work without the hazards/flasher switch plugged in. Sounds like a lot of your connections are just old and need a little unplug-clean-reconnect treatment. A can of aerosol contact cleaner will help that process, too.
good luck,
Dave

mowermechanic 03-04-2008 05:37 PM

Thanks, will do, also do you know where might be the flasher unit? That box thing that makes the blinkers flash instead of stay on? I could have burnt that up now that i think about it. Because i had a metal battery retainer, and the retainer touched the positive and the body at the same time = a little short. All the fuses are good tho, and i double checked the hazard switch in the center console, everything is plugged in.... hmmm.... NOTE: it's not the switch.... i hotwired the blinkers, and still got nothing, the hot wire is dead.... hmmm

mowermechanic 03-09-2008 03:08 PM

OK, I got the HAZARD's to work. They flash just fine. My blinkers still don't work tho, i tried a new flasher unit, and i tested it on the hazard circuit so i know the new flasher unit is good. All the lights work outside and inside for the HAZARD's. I don't get Sound or anything for the blinkers. It's almost like a power wire for the blinker came undone. Where are all the electrical connections for the blinkers in the car? Haynes doesn't show me where they are IN the car, i can read the diagram, but i need to FIND the wires?

theramz 03-09-2008 10:18 PM

Remove the covers around the steering column and check those connections.

mowermechanic 03-22-2008 10:39 PM

STUPID HAZARD SWITCH, IMMA BREAK IT, AND THEN GO SEARCH 5 JUNKYARD'S FOR A GOOD USED ONE (hazard switch was the whole problem)

BoulderZ 03-26-2008 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by mowermechanic
STUPID HAZARD SWITCH, IMMA BREAK IT, AND THEN GO SEARCH 5 JUNKYARD'S FOR A GOOD USED ONE (hazard switch was the whole problem)

Sorry to hear it turned out to be the hazard switch after all. One thing: don't break/destroy/obliterate the old one until you have a new one installed and you're 100% sure it's all working correctly. There are a lot of good reasons to delay that cathartic hammer-smashing of the offending part(s), and it's impossible to go back and un-destroy it.
Hope the new switch fixes it. Have you tested the "Accessory Relay", aka "Ignition Relay"? At this age, they're known to fail, too.
good luck,
Dave