ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/)
-   -   No turn signals, hazards or brake lights (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/no-turn-signals-hazards-brake-lights-35502/)

greybeard421 06-28-2012 11:37 AM

No turn signals, hazards or brake lights

I need some help guys. I just got my 76 back together after paint and new interior. Well, I was trying out lights today and I don't have any brake lights, hazards, or turn signals. The dash light indicators do not come on either for the turn signals. Here is what i've done so far. Checked all bulbs and they are good. I should state that everything worked before being apart. My headlights work, running lights work, front turn signals light up but will not flash, back up lights work, and the top two bulbs on each rear tail light work, but not the single lower bulbs. I put a volt meter on the back of the turn signal switch. I have 12v to the green wire when the turn signal is in the off position, but when I check the other two wires for right and left turn I get nothing. I also should point out that when we first put the headlights in to test them, they didn't light up untill I hit the dimmer a few times and then they started working perfect, both high and low beam. That is what is making me believe that it possibly is the turn signal switch bad. I have also cleaned the contact for the switch with electrical spray cleaner and nothing still. I tried moving the switch up and down several times thinking maybe it was just dirty or corroded, but still nothing. You guys have any ideas or maybe could someone send me a schematic on how everything ties into the flashers. I checked around my steering column and I cant see a flashing unit, but I'm sure there has to be one somewhere. I see two large silver cylindrical items up to the left of the steering column, but cant verify those are it without part numbers. Just want to start driving the thing and this happens! Grrr! Thanks for any help you can offer.

Turbo Biscuit 06-30-2012 07:53 AM

Obvious but did you check fuses? It almost sounds like there's a connector that didn't get connected on the harness. My headlight combo switch is bad, but only the interior lighting part. The switch is so expensive I just routed another toggle switch for them.

You might try finding the wires that connect your turn signals to the switch and short them manually with a paper clip to bypass the switch and see if it's the switch or something else.

You might have to find another wiring diagram. The one for the 78 FSM is jacked up and I had to find a separate one on atlanticz.

XenonS30 For the service manuals

Z Tech Tips Electrical (AtlanticZ.ca) For better wiring diagrams

blackweb 08-12-2013 07:40 PM

I don't know if your problem ever got fixed but i too recently had this problem. I replaced the stop light switch, flasher, light bulbs and fuses and after doing that i noticed that i had turn signals, but no brake lights and my hazards still didn't work. After reading around i finally found out that the bottom left fuse controls the brake lights, i checked it out and it looked fine, but after putting it back into place i noticed that the holder seemed loose. I pulled the fuse again, pinched the metal holder a bit, put the fuse back in and it seemed much tighter in place. I then had working hazards and brake lights. I hope this is of help to someone. If nothing seems to fix a no brake no hazards issue then check the fuse holders to make sure they're holding the fuses tightly in place. God bless and enjoy your Z's