ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/)
-   -   Leaking Fuel Pressure Regulator and hoses (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/leaking-fuel-pressure-regulator-hoses-36523/)

Turbo Biscuit 11-16-2012 07:50 PM

Leaking Fuel Pressure Regulator and hoses

I wasn't sure what to call this thread as these are the symptoms of the problem.

78 has been on stands for 2 months and has an issue about starting after sitting for long periods. I cleaned the injectors, installed a Pallnet fuel rail, trimmed a lot of fat (AAR, CSV etc.). Car would turn over, but does this thing where pressure builds up in the lines and gas starts leaking out of odd places while it's turning over, but the car never starts. This time gas started weeping out of the regulator housing, and some old hoses back by the gas tank. On normal operation these don't leak, but I'm guessing they are the weak points in the system as I haven't replaced those hoses yet, so when the pressure builds it finds the weakest link to shoot out of. The only problem is that the fuel pressure is fine. It is about 36PSI. It never goes above that.

When I finally got the car running, I had pulled off an injector connector and hooked up a multimeter to it to make sure it was firing, then turned over the motor and it started right up with that connector pulled off. I replaced the connector and the car starts fine now (though I think one injector is intermittent). I don't get it. Does anyone have an idea?

NismoPick 11-17-2012 08:42 AM

The aux air regulator and cold start valve help with cold starts... instead of removing them, you should test / replace them.

Also, since it started after disconnecting / reconnecting an injector clip, I'd say the injector clips aren't tight, or have corrosion on them, causing a lot of resistance.

Turbo Biscuit 11-17-2012 02:49 PM

I had used the CSV to relieve pressure when working on the fuel system before so I know it works, as far as the thermotime switch I don't know. After all this I will probably reinstall the CSV in the future. The AAR works, but the metal tab was bent and the valve was always closed.

I have bought new connectors to make a custom wiring harness but haven't made it yet. This was a test startup after being on stands for so long. I used DeOxit on the connectors (which is fantastic stuff), but they're just totally loose/corroded/broken. I'm hoping that is the only problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

NismoPick 11-17-2012 02:52 PM

Just get a mini flathead screwdriver and mend the connectors back so they fit snug. FricFrac sells connector repair kits (new pigtails).

Turbo Biscuit 11-18-2012 02:09 PM

I have two more issues concerning fuel:

1. After startup today, I noticed that the fuel pump kept running for quite awhile (a good 5 or more seconds) after the car died (had to adjust the idle adjusment screw. Car idles fine now). From what I understand it should shut off as soon as the motor stops. Perhaps a relay issue?

2. Also, I searched but I didn't find anything, is there anyone that rebuilds fuel pumps?