240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

I'm leaking fuel!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 11:22 AM

I'm leaking fuel!!!

Last time I filled up , I saw fuel leaking underneath the car directly below. And I'm not talking a couple of drops... I think a few ounces of fuel was on the ground and on the tank and inner fender. Is there a rubber hose under there that want bad? I haven't had a chance to lift the car and look, but I don't think I'm going to be filling up again until I find the leak!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:57 PM

Sounds like the filler hose might have finally given up the ghost, you should be able to crawl under with a light and maybe a mirror and see from where the fuel was leaking.
good news: easy to replace.
bad news: depending on model and availability, can be spendy.
Do it soon, though. Having your Z do it's best Fiero impression would be embarrasing.
Dave
Old 05-19-2006, 01:34 PM

yeah, I'm cringing every time I fire - scratch that- start it up... thanks, I'm gonna try to fix it this weekend. I wonder if that filler hose is generic enough to pick up anywhere, or if I need to find one for datsun.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:36 PM

:-) Yeah, no fire.

I didn't have any luck finding a generic one that I liked well enough to replace my original-but-still-working while the tank was out of the car. I was going to just buy a new one from MSA or Black Dragon or wherever, kind of a "while you're at it" preventive measure. But then I saw the price and decide mine was just fine. However, given mine wasn't/isn't leaking, I didn't put a whole lot of effort into finding a good replacement.

You might be able to get a good used one from zcarsource or something... but I don't know as that's a part I'd trust used. They're all getting pretty old, for a non-metal piece that's supposed to be fuel tight.

good luck,
Dave
Old 05-31-2006, 07:41 PM

well I ordered a new filler hose for my leaky situation. I should have it in time to change this weekend. I really hope thats the problem, or I just wasted 100 bucks...
Old 05-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Registered Zee Racer

Since you didn't dig deeper into seeing which hose it was you very well may have wasted $100.

You can take off the wheel and then there is a aplte to unscrew to give you a better look at the filler hose and other hoses that are in the area.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:32 AM

So how'd the investigation and repair go over the weekend?
Dave
Old 06-07-2006, 10:00 AM

It was clearly the old filler hose. I could see dried residue around the bottom of the hose and on the tank. I spent last night replacing the filler hose. I wouldn't consider the job a nightmare, but it did take a while. 3 screws from the top, 3 screws from underneath (after removing the plate) and removing the overflow from behind the interior side panel. Its a really tight squeeze to remove (thru the bottom), and even tighter to install... of course, if I would have wanted to drop the fuel tank everything would have slipped right into place. I'm not sure which way is better...

The car is still in the air, so tonite I'm gonna tackle lowering springs and replace as many bushings as I can. I just want to get it back on the road ASAFP! I hate seeing me car torn apart.

Last edited by drlew; 06-07-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:10 PM

Excellent! Glad that's fixed. Gas leaks make cars smell old and beat. Not to mention the danger factor.
I cleaned up my filler hose while the whole tank was out of the car, painting the tank with a can and a half of black hammerite. I'm not sure sliding it back together was all that easy, either. You may have had the better approach.
Have fun with the springs and suspension! I'm hoping to do mine as soon as I'm done with the motor.
Dave

Last edited by BoulderZ; 06-07-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:20 PM

Fuel Leak FIXED! New Holley Fuel Pump INSTALLED! New Steering Coupler INSTALLED!

After I give er a bath, I'll be ready to ride this weekend!

Next week, I'm having the lowering springs and new bushings installed. Couldn't get to em in time.