ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/)
-   -   HELP ! 260Z problems with carbs (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/help-260z-problems-carbs-14104/)

RMW260Z 07-31-2005 10:58 AM

HELP ! 260Z problems with carbs

Hello,

I am trying to get a 260Z running again. This car has sat for ten years rotting in a neighbors driveway. The engine will turn over easily and even start when using starting fluid sprayed into the carbs. I have the dreaded Hitatchi cars and I have rebuilt ( With what parts are still available ) them and cleaned them up so I know that the pistion is free moving in both carbs.
However no matter what I do the car will not start. I have replaced the electric fuel pump and have fuel to the carbs, and returning to the gas tank. Also have new plugs, wires,cap. I am wondering if I have a problem with the vacumme for the intake manifold. I have replaced all of the vacumme lines .... and the lines for the smog system.
Is there anything I can do to bypass all of the solinoinds in the system to see if the car will run? In cleaning up the carbs and the surrounding plumbing I have removed a whole lot of black carbon / soot from inside the carbs. Maybe this is what is clogging the rest of the system up?
I would appreciate any ideas in getting this cars engine running. Thanks in advance for the help.

Fast240Z 07-31-2005 11:31 AM

is your Air/Fuel Ratio set correctly on the carburetors? If not, then that's going to be a huge problem. The hitachi su's are actually awesome and reliable carburetors, if set up right. As for the smog system, you could strip every last part related to smog off of it, and the vehicle would run. On my 240Z, the only smog part I have left is the anti-backfire valve that goes from the exhaust manifold back into the intake manifold. Everything else was stripped off since I don't have to meet emissions regulations.

As for setting the a/f ratio, I'd check in a haynes manual as to how to do it. Haynes says that you should "screw up (clockwise) each of the carburettor mixture adjusting nuts until they seat, then unscrew them equally between 1/2 and 1 turn."

I'd try that and see what happens. The mixture nut is on the bottom of the carburetor.

W.Coast'77 280Z 07-31-2005 11:47 AM

not too familiar with the carburated Zs plus I'm only 16 :p but my car had a fuel relay problem which I had replaced along with the fuel pump and gas tank although I'm told it' was because the '77 was the first year of fuel injected so you can't expect it to be perfect :p good luck getting it on the road again.. there's been a lot of them making a come back these days

RMW260Z 07-31-2005 12:30 PM

Thanks for the info........ Will give it a try. I did not adjust the AF mixture screw at all

Fast240Z 07-31-2005 11:46 PM

if you didn't mess with it, you might have to now considering the fact that the carburetors have been rebuilt. After setting the a/f ratio, you're going to want to let out the fast idle setting screws, then balance the carburetors out, while setting the butterflies in the carburetors.