ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/)
-   -   A Few Questions on Weber DCOEs (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/few-questions-weber-dcoes-9687/)

thermann 07-12-2004 11:14 AM

A Few Questions on Weber DCOEs

Getting serious about switching over to a set of Weber 40 DCOEs. Have done the research, listened to sales pitches and damnations and have narrowed it down to a few questions.

1. Fuel Economy - Believe it or not, this actually matters to some extent. While performance is my primary focus, my commute is 70 miles across the Texas Hill Country and with premium hanging out at the $2.00 mark I would prefer to keep the fuel economy in the reasonable range. Have heard that the Webers will cause the mileage to nose dive. Anyone want to throw some personal experience into the mix.

2. Hidden Problems - No worries with tuning and installation, but are there any trouble spots that I should be aware of (leaks, wear and tear problems, etc.)?

3. Anyone have a set up they want to part with? - While I'm not doing this project on the cheap, I'm not in the mood to cough up a couple of grand for a new set of carbs. Is anyone out there looking to sell their set up for a reasonable price?

Thanks y'all! Looking forward to reading the pearls of wisdom.

Trey Hermann
Austin/San Antonio Texas
thermann@bellengineering.net
thermann@bellintercoolers.com

preith 07-12-2004 07:42 PM

I have a set of Mikuni's and have tinkered with a friend's Weber 40's, and all I can say is you almost have to have them just for the nostalgia, or the love of it. For any kind of daily driver, or regularly driven street vehicle, you can't beat FI, especially an aftermarket variant which you can tune on a laptop.

Tuning can be a pain. I've just got my car going with the Mikuni's, and I suspect it might be a while until I really get it dialed in.

As for fuel economy, I really doubt you will gain any noticeable increase. I've read, and totally agree, that a mild performance cam will give you more power and better mileage.

Theirs alot of guys who swear by their SU's too. I guess boring them out has been gaining popularity.

thermann 07-14-2004 02:50 PM

Thanks for the info.

Have to admit I have a strong nostalgic thing for the triple Weber/Mikuni ste-up. Guess I'm showing my age. Would really like to use them and don't mind the tuning and retuning. Just curious what the mileage is going to do. If it's close to the SUs that would be great, just not real wild about dropping it down to the low teens on the highway.

Thanks again for the feedback. Appreciate it!

Originally Posted by preith
I have a set of Mikuni's and have tinkered with a friend's Weber 40's, and all I can say is you almost have to have them just for the nostalgia, or the love of it. For any kind of daily driver, or regularly driven street vehicle, you can't beat FI, especially an aftermarket variant which you can tune on a laptop.

Tuning can be a pain. I've just got my car going with the Mikuni's, and I suspect it might be a while until I really get it dialed in.

As for fuel economy, I really doubt you will gain any noticeable increase. I've read, and totally agree, that a mild performance cam will give you more power and better mileage.

Theirs alot of guys who swear by their SU's too. I guess boring them out has been gaining popularity.