ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/)
-   -   differential clunk (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/differential-clunk-24440/)

JPerkins 12-11-2007 10:29 PM

differential clunk

okay, so i started trying to track my rear end clunk down.

worn out mustache bar bushings (replace with urethane)<--they were fine.

u-joints on the halfshaft ends are loose and worn-out (common, replace the joints) <---they were fine

tighten the bolts/nuts on both ends of the halfshafts <---shop closed before i had the chance.

front differential mount broken (try tightening the 14mm nut in the bottom first) <---they were fine.

driveshaft bolts loose <---they were loose but i tightened them, still clunks.

shocks bad or loose in strut <--- didn't get a chance to check, but only clunks on sudden accellerations from a stop or roll.

replace the control arm spindle pins <--- Didn't get to check

ball bearings/grooves in halfshaft body worn (replace halfshaft) <--- didn't get to check.

tighten the two large nuts that hold the differential to the mustache bar <--- they seemed tight but i didn't get a wrench on them before i was run off.

I pulled the drive shaft out thinkin it was the u-joints, but it wasn't. i grabbed the differential hub where the drive shaft bolts on and i could twist it back and forth 1/4 to 1/2 inch freely before anything would engage. i beleive this is my clunk. Can it be repaired?? or is it time for a new Differential??

NismoPick 12-12-2007 11:55 AM

I have several spare diffs in the garage... I will check them for play tonight. Might want to have some one walk beside you as you drive & listen for the clunk.

NASHVILLEPHOTOG 01-07-2008 03:11 AM

clunk

Did you resolve your clunk issue? I too have the same problem.

theramz 01-07-2008 09:57 AM

Before you do all that try to pry up on the frront of the diff. If it moves more than 1/4 inch it the mount needs to be replaced.

JPerkins 01-10-2008 08:25 PM

Just got back from a holiday. Haven't gotten the chance to further chase that diff clunk, but will get on it asap. As yet it still clunks on accelleration. Right now i'm trying to fix a semi-more pressing issue. No tail lights, dash lights or turn signals. keeps cooking fuzes. can't even bridge the fuse block with a screw driver. it still doesn't work. So Two irons in the fire and no daylight. Short winter days.

Texizgreat 01-10-2008 09:29 PM

Back to the "Clunk"

First what side does the sound come from?
That may be hard to figure out from inside. when mine made the noise it sounded like the whole back end fell off.
second Jack up the rear end and Remove wheel. Grab the Drum and move front to back your may see where the bushings on the upper rear controler arms are basically gone.

That was the case with mine Good luck