240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Carb Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 08:15 PM
tah

Carb Questions

I've got a couple of pictures attached and need help. The (front) carb linkage picture shows a couple of pieces with a Sharpie holding them apart. These two "arms" were wired together so the top piece wouldn't "rise". When I removed the wire the top arm will rotate freely until the back part of it contacts the heat shield. What do I need to do to fix this? New part? Seems "broken" on the shaft.

The second picture is a mystery to me(no longer, see below). I have a line from one of my air cleaners to this "item" which is on the engine bay, driver side, just below the ballast resistor. There is also a steel line going from this item towards the firewall. Anyone know what the heck this thing is or what it does? Do I need to punch a hole in my new air cleaners to hook the line back up?

I got some used K&N breather/filters off eBay and found these "problems" today. Don't really care what I have to do to make these right, as it's all coming apart anyway.

FYI: This is a 72 240.

Well.......I just found out the "mystery" piece is an evaporative control valve. The line going to the firewall goes all the way to the fuel tank evaporator tank in the rear passenger side. Anyone fully understand the function of this?
Attached Thumbnails Carb Questions-linkage.jpg   Carb Questions-breather-fitting.jpg  
Old 03-10-2005, 09:05 PM
I have a present for you...

That linkage piece is connected to th anti backfire valve on the manifold cross- over tube. Its' purpose is to open the throttle slightly when you let off the accelerator. It is normal for it to be loose. You can observe it by revving the engine, when you let off the lever should push down on the main linkage. The vacuum diaphram could be bad. It seems like the likage adjustments have gotten out of wack.
The thing that the hoses are hooked up to is a valve. When manifold vacuum goes up it sucks fumes from the crankcase and the gas tank. If you have de-smoged your car you can hook the one from the gas tank to the air cleaner or plug it.
Attached Thumbnails Carb Questions-anti-backfire-valve.jpg  
Old 03-11-2005, 05:05 AM
tah

Thanks for the info. I don't have the vacuum so there's nothing hooked up to the back of the arm. When the PO did away with the original intake, they attempted to apparently do away with as many hoses as possible.

Don't know if there's a better way than wiring these arms back together like they were. At least that way the linkage could be returned to original if wanted.