ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/)
-   -   77 280z issue (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/77-280z-issue-36832/)

vetis 01-08-2013 10:55 AM

77 280z issue

Hey all, I just bought a 77 280z and i am having an issue when trying to accelerate. The car will get up to around 2500-3000 rpms and just totally lose any power. I tried adjusting the TSP and nothing happened, I even took it off to see if there was difference. SO if there is no difference when taking it off and having it plugged in does that mean that the TSP is the issue. Sorry this if my first Z and am trying to learn as fast as I can. Any help would be great!

NismoPick 01-08-2013 11:05 AM

Welcome to ZDriver! :006:

You mean the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) right?

What's the timing set to?
Have you pulled and read the spark plugs?
Have you done a compression check?

A thorough tune-up is a good idea for a "new to you" car. :D

Don't forget to download the FSM for free from XenonS30

vetis 01-10-2013 01:24 PM

Turned out to be the fuel pump, I should have known from the start when I was hearing a whining coming from the back of the car. Replaced the pump and the car runs like a champ.

vetis 01-15-2013 02:27 PM

Ok back with a new issue, after I replaced the fuel pump it ran fine then one day it started stalling when I would stop. I adjusted the idle screw on the throttle body and it worked great for about two days, now it started stalling again. When I put it in park the engine will rev and then die, its more like a slow die as well.

ThaPimpShrimp 01-15-2013 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by vetis (Post 320434)
Ok back with a new issue, after I replaced the fuel pump it ran fine then one day it started stalling when I would stop. I adjusted the idle screw on the throttle body and it worked great for about two days, now it started stalling again. When I put it in park the engine will rev and then die, its more like a slow die as well.

Cleaned out your fuel filter/tank/lines? Injectors? Also like Nismo said before, spark plugs!

jkeese01 01-21-2013 12:35 PM

To clean out the tank (must remove it from the car - easy) you have to be pretty aggressive. I used acetone and about 15 small rocks and shook the tank. Then used a product called Marine Clean. Still wasn't satisfied, so before I took it to be sealed by a radiator / gas tank shop, took it to a car wash and sprayed the tank out. The high pressure sprayer did the trick, removed most of the varnish on the inside of the tank, so did not have it sealed. The Marine Clean seemed to only softened the varnish.

Make sure your final rinse of the tank is a gallon of denatured ethanol. This will help dry out the tank. If your tank is rusty inside, have it sealed.

Put a Fram G3 filter inline between the gas tank and the fuel pump. This clear filter allows you to monitor how clean the gasoline is and it also keeps crud out of your fuel pump. This crud can destroy your fuel pump.

Before cleaning the tank, I was getting what looked like brown sand in the filter. Since cleaning the tank, the new filter has remained clean.

And for spark plugs, only use NGK. Bosch plugs don't seem to works as well.

Good luck.