ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/)
-   -   71z will not start (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/71z-will-not-start-14310/)

1971z 08-14-2005 08:20 PM

71z will not start

I bought a new msd 8202 blaster 2 coil and ordered coil ballast resistor and condenser. Im not sure about the condenser but the resistor was in bad shape only oneside showed current.

1. Can a bad coil resistor cause my car not to run or could it be more.

2. I have a petronix electric ignition and new msd coil and im not sure if this is correct do i need to keep my resistor, or can i by pass the wires to the coil.

Nothing special about the car basically its stock.

Any suggestion would help

Thanks

theramz 08-14-2005 09:07 PM

The purpose of the resister is to reduce the voltage to the coil after the engine starts so it won't burn the points. You no longer have points so you can bypass it. You could call Summit tech support to make sure you have it hooked up right.

1971z 08-15-2005 12:23 AM

Im going to call tomorrow for technical information. Before i do that can you or anyone tell me if this is right. Without the ballast. The orginal negative wire leave disconnected and the black wire from the elec ignition goes to the negative side of the coil. The red positive wire from the elec ignition, the condenser, the green and white wire from the tach, the black and white wire from the ignition switch, and the last black and white wire all connects to the positive side of the coil.

I believe that the coil i have has a resistor so i do not need the ballast anymore. Is this right or too many wires on the positive side of the coil.

1971z 08-15-2005 09:09 AM

I think im going to keep the ballast. The coil i have now has only .73 resistant and need something more to match that of 1.5 resistant. If it starts and i hope thats the problem then change my plugs from bosch to ngk.

theramz 08-15-2005 09:40 AM

Not sure about all those wires but most tachs get their read from the neg side of the coil. The plus side is the ignition. The condensor goes to the neg side also. Not sure about the rest.

1971z 08-15-2005 11:16 AM

wow im really confused from this web site theres a diagram on how to install it.

Copy and paste to address C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Classic Zcar Club - Pertronix Ignitor Installation Step by Step.htm

1971z 08-15-2005 05:36 PM

I finally got the car to run. G/w tach and blk wire from the ignitor neg side of the coil. B/w ignition switch and red wire from the ignitor to the pos side of the coil. The other wires i left alone. Next thing i know the car started. It still needs some adjustment but it ran. I already order the small condenser next to the coil and ballast resistor and can not return it so im going to put those on tommorrow. Find out which feels better.

Thank you for your help thermaz