ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/)
-   -   260z Hei Module No spark Help Please! (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/260z-hei-module-no-spark-help-please-36856/)

cruzdonovan 01-12-2013 07:48 PM

260z Hei Module No spark Help Please!

Bought parts already such as
new Coil
Distributor
Hei module
New Battery

The car originally had no stock ignition module so I tried going hei. But still not getting any spark from distributor I wired it up like how the diagrams shows me how to but nothing
Does any know what I'm doing wrong or anything I'm missing?

Steve260Z74 01-14-2013 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by cruzdonovan (Post 320375)
Bought parts already such as
new Coil
Distributor
Hei module
New Battery

The car originally had no stock ignition module so I tried going hei. But still not getting any spark from distributor I wired it up like how the diagrams shows me how to but nothing
Does any know what I'm doing wrong or anything I'm missing?

1. What diagram did you use?
2. What stock wires did you put where?
3. What wires did you add, and where did you run them?
4. Is it a stock distributor?
5. If it didn't have a stock ignition module, was it just sitting there dead before?
6. Is the starter interlock relay jumpered out properly?

re037 02-16-2013 05:52 PM

im doing the same!

havent finished up the wirign yet but this is what i have so far and this is what i need help with...

im keeping the stock coil and ballast resistor in my situation.

my transistor unit (ignition control module) went out and decided to rep0alce with a GM 4 pin hei. my ballast resistor is 3 pin insetad of 2 on a 240z. all the write ups refer to a msd or petronix coil and does away with the resistor ballast but no provision ive come across to keep the ballast on a 260z. heres the stock setup.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1...44606large.jpg

and heres where i am right now in the diagram.

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/6484/heiu.jpg

Steve260Z74 02-16-2013 06:15 PM

1. If you do get rid of the ballast resister, you'll need a high impedance coil.
2. The black/white and black/blue wires would need to land on the B terminal of the HEI.
The black/blue is energized during starting. The black/white is energized when the key is in the run position.

re037 02-16-2013 06:36 PM

wow, thanks for the quick reply steve!

one last question:

do i disconnect the negative green wire off and the positive white/black wire off the coil as well? or do i leave those on?

Steve260Z74 02-17-2013 05:46 AM

I did leave out one thing last night. If you eliminate the resistor, you'll need to have the black/white and black/blue going to the positive terminal of the coil as well as the B terminal of the HEI.
That "green" wire on the negative post is actually blue. It should be jumpered over to the C terminal of the HEI.

re037 02-17-2013 10:57 PM

thanks steve. got her running. right in time for another work week :)

thanks for the heads up about wiring without the resistor. might go msd blaster 2 in near future.

car feels a lot peppier too

borjon 06-23-2013 03:00 PM

I have a 74 260Z whose ignition control module went out too. This HEI idea looks like a way to bring my Z back to life. Question is will it work on a distributor with dual pickup coils? I have three wires coming from the distributor instead of just two. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Steve260Z74 06-23-2013 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by borjon (Post 326014)
I have a 74 260Z whose ignition control module went out too. This HEI idea looks like a way to bring my Z back to life. Question is will it work on a distributor with dual pickup coils? I have three wires coming from the distributor instead of just two. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Meh, who wants to deal with a distributor from an automatic? Just get a ZX distributor (and distributor mount) and be done with it once and for all.

borjon 06-25-2013 06:58 AM

I was looking for a way to use the rebuilt distributor I had just purchased. I would be out money if I had to buy another. If it comes down to it, I might have to check into what you just said. I was just wondering if it (HEI) could work with the rebuilt distributor I just bought. The installation of the HEI looks easy and is something I could do in no time at all.

Turksspeedwerks 09-15-2014 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Steve260Z74 (Post 326020)
Meh, who wants to deal with a distributor from an automatic? Just get a ZX distributor (and distributor mount) and be done with it once and for all.

Ok I got a 76 and it was a auto but now it's a manual so I have the stock auto dual points distributor in this and like I stated in another post the dang thing runs only when the coil wire is held out of the cap but won't if the coil wire is in the cap ... I got a two wire distributor what's got to be done to get rid of the dual electronic distributor? Or should I even use the single electronic ?? I'm also running a pertronix coil