ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-126/)
-   -   Toyota brake upgrade + rims (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-126/toyota-brake-upgrade-rims-15426/)

Fast240Z 10-23-2005 12:25 AM

Toyota brake upgrade + rims

I am seriously considering the toyota 4 piston caliper upgrade for the front brakes on my Z, but I have read that when used with 14" rims, the brakes have issues with size and clearance. What's the smallest rim I can use with the brake upgrade? I have 14" rims on the Z right now, and I like them, so I don't want to have to buy a new set of rims and tires just for a brake upgrade.

NismoPick 10-23-2005 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fast240Z
I am seriously considering the toyota 4 piston caliper upgrade for the front brakes on my Z, but I have read that when used with 14" rims, the brakes have issues with size and clearance. What's the smallest rim I can use with the brake upgrade? I have 14" rims on the Z right now, and I like them, so I don't want to have to buy a new set of rims and tires just for a brake upgrade.

on the S30... there shouldn't be any clearance probs... it's on the 280zx's that the spindle is shorter & spacers must be used.

to make sure, measure the distance from the rotor face, to the end of caliper (out towards the rim) of your Z, and of a toyota 4piston setup... and wa-la... your answer!

redneckz 10-23-2005 11:31 PM

Toyota brake upgrade

Depending on which setup you are using. If you are using the S-12 calibers with the solid rotors, you can use the 14" rims with very little if any problems. I have used this setup with Westerm minilight 14"X7" wheels running Solo II and didn't have any problems. If you are using the S-12W or S-13W calibers with the 300ZX vented rotors w/spacer plate. You will have to upgrade to 15" rims at the least. I am now running a 16" by 7" rim with a 1" spacer with the 300ZX conversion. Good Luck, Rich.

NismoPick 10-28-2005 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by redneckz
Depending on which setup you are using. If you are using the S-12 calibers with the solid rotors, you can use the 14" rims with very little if any problems. I have used this setup with Westerm minilight 14"X7" wheels running Solo II and didn't have any problems. If you are using the S-12W or S-13W calibers with the 300ZX vented rotors w/spacer plate. You will have to upgrade to 15" rims at the least. I am now running a 16" by 7" rim with a 1" spacer with the 300ZX conversion. Good Luck, Rich.

You got any pics of that? I'd love to see that setup!!!

redneckz 10-30-2005 01:32 PM

Toyota brake upgrade

Will be taking the Z car outside tomorrow. I will take some pictures and post them for you.

OlderThanMe 11-23-2005 09:21 PM

I just upgraded my brakes while the tranny is out and I put the new toyota 4x4 brakes on with my 14x6.5 eagle 5 point star wheels and it was about 1/4 in. off from clearing...could have worked with spacers. I just bought some 15x8" 4 in. backspace "pro" series wheels from www.diamondracingwheels.com and they clear my stock suspension and I am running 225/60/15 tires so there is about .5 in. of clearance from the spring. I now need some flares though because the wheels stick out about an inch overall.