240Z, 260Z, 280Z Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Newbie here, so be gentle. Few questions on front suspension

Old 09-09-2004, 05:50 PM

Newbie here, so be gentle. Few questions on front suspension

I just got a 72 240Z and I love it. Problem is, it's been in storage for the last 4-5 years and now the suspension needs attention. I bought a poly bushing kit to replace the old rubber bushings with and I just got new ball joints and tie rod ends. I figure I will do it all so I know it's all new and I won't have to worry about it. Well, I spent the last 2 hrs taking the passenger side apart (michigan cars like to rust bolts in, so heat was needed to free them) and had a couple small problems and a couple questions.

Problem.
When I removed the streering arm to get to the ball joint I found the front bolt had pretty much destroyed the threads while being removed. Can I get a new one? Am I screwed, do I need a new hub assembly?

Question.
Do I need to have the front bushings pressed out or is there a trick I can use at home? I don't have a problem having them pressed out, but would rather not pay for it if I don't have to.

I'm sure I will have more questions for you as I go along. I really like this little car and want to make it as fun and safe as I can.

Thanks

Jason
Attached Thumbnails Newbie here, so be gentle.  Few questions on front suspension-datsun01.jpg   Newbie here, so be gentle.  Few questions on front suspension-datsun02.jpg  
Old 09-09-2004, 09:18 PM
I have a present for you...

Originally Posted by jmanz6
I just got a 72 240Z and I love it. Problem is, it's been in storage for the last 4-5 years and now the suspension needs attention. I bought a poly bushing kit to replace the old rubber bushings with and I just got new ball joints and tie rod ends. I figure I will do it all so I know it's all new and I won't have to worry about it. Well, I spent the last 2 hrs taking the passenger side apart (michigan cars like to rust bolts in, so heat was needed to free them) and had a couple small problems and a couple questions.

Problem.
When I removed the streering arm to get to the ball joint I found the front bolt had pretty much destroyed the threads while being removed. Can I get a new one? Am I screwed, do I need a new hub assembly?

Question.
Do I need to have the front bushings pressed out or is there a trick I can use at home? I don't have a problem having them pressed out, but would rather not pay for it if I don't have to.

I'm sure I will have more questions for you as I go along. I really like this little car and want to make it as fun and safe as I can.

Thanks

Jason
What do you mean be gentle? The first thing we do is come over to your house and slash your tires! Just kidding.
Heat is a good idea for removing old bolts. The problem comes from the threads that protrude past the end of the hole. Rust accumulates on the exposed threads and when you loosen the bolt, it drags the corroded threads back through, rolling the threads out. Before you remove a bolt like this you might try oiling it the day before, then hand wire brush the exposed threads before you remove it.
To fix your strut you can have a shop drill out the old threads and install a helicoil. You can do it yourself with a kit from NAPA for about $25.
I found that the best way to remove old bushings is to split them with a hacksaw from the inside out being careful not to cut the control arm. The bushing will collapse enough to beat it out.