240Z, 260Z, 280Z Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Changing wheel/tire sizes???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:49 PM

Changing wheel/tire sizes???

So I want to change out my tires. What is the widest tire you'd put on a 6.5" wheel? Right now I'm on 205/60/14's... Can I go up to 225's? more?
Right now I've got about 2" gap in my wheelwell, but I'm installing springs to lower the car. Ideas?
Old 06-06-2006, 07:54 AM

I've put a 235 on a 6.5" wheel. It bulged a bit on the sides, but it looked mean.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:47 AM

Here's a nice chart with Yokohama's take on tire-size vs. approved rim width.
http://www.yokohamatire.com/utrimwidth.asp
Not to say that other manufacturers won't have some differences in their charts, or that you couldn't mount a different combo. But the charts will all be quite similar, and I don't think you'll find many tire centers willing to risk their insurance by going outside of the recommended ranges. Shouldn't have to, anyway, there's a lot of choices available in there.
Of course, whatever you do, take pictures of it so we can all see how it comes out!
good luck,
Dave
Old 06-08-2006, 05:59 PM

Thanks for that chart! Its useful, except the only thing its telling me is bad news... I don't want to change out my 14" rims, but I can't seem to find 225's that go on a 14" rim. The quest goes on...
Old 06-09-2006, 08:03 AM

Yeah, that's true. The selection of performance tires for 14" rims is getting pretty thin these days with the current odd trend of giant wheels and rubber-band tires. I gave up and will be using 15" MSA Flashback wheels once the driveline is finished. Trying to maintain a more conventional profile but still have Z rated tires of a decent make/model. However, I have a ready-made excuse to change wheels in that the PO went curb surfing and took a big chunk out of the current 14" magnesium set.
Dave
Old 06-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Registered Zee Racer

I have always thought the 82-83 turbo wheels look great on the 1st gen z cars. ;-)
Old 06-09-2006, 12:41 PM

Darrel! Always good to hear from you! Nice to know those wheels are still available. :-)
I hear the ZX NA 5 speeds look even better on 1st gen Z's...
I haven't checked into getting those wheels repaired for auto-x tires yet. Too busy with the head and the bumper replating. That reminds me, I need to call Just Dashes today and see if I can ship that thing tonight or tomorrow...
Dave
Old 06-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Registered Zee Racer

Let me know when you want to check out the 5 spd I have.

Will you have time to stop by the state patrol track next Saturday? The z club is having their first track day of the year. Just bring closed toed shoes, long pants and long sleeved shirt if you want to go for a ride. I'm not sure if I will track the car yet, but there are plenty of guys that like to give rides.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the invite! Wish I could, but actually we're going camping that weekend. Hopefully I can make the next one. If I get the head and powdercoat batch back on time, I should be in the home stretch and will definitely be calling you about that 5 speeed ZX gearbox.
Dave
Old 06-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Registered Zee Racer

Still waiting on the engine assembly before you tackle the rear suspension?

Don't worry about rushing to get anything done. Restoring a car takes time to do it right and you're right on track. Look into the front galley plug yet?

And I need to add one more thing.

THREADJACK!!!
Old 06-09-2006, 02:24 PM

:-) Yeah, drlew has been very patient about using his thread.

First two attempts to remove the galley plug have failed. Ron did a very good job of installing it. Hope to pull it this weekend to double check it. The timing chain oil passage is fine, but I want to check the #1 main bearing oil passage, as that's the one that would really be blocked, if anything is. We'll see. Worst case I drill it out and tap my own plug in there from McGuckin's, not too bad. Just hope it's not so hot again this weekend. Slows down work to get water all the time.
Dave
Old 06-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Registered Zee Racer

Yes the #1 main bearing is the one that would be blocked. It would be a shame when you first start it up and spin a bearing. The oil supply is in the center of the bearing about 1/4-1/2" in maybe? The set screw he put in in goes well past that.

drlew, if you're in colorado can I interest you in some swastika wheels? ;-)
Old 06-11-2006, 08:58 PM

hey hey hey whats going on here!? I step away for a few days and all I see is zx this, and 5 speed that, galley plugs and timing chains.

Just kidding... I find myself doing the same dang thing to other people...

I like my rims, haven't found anything worthy of trading up to. I definitely don't want to go to modern import wheels, I like the deep old skool wheels on this car. I just wanna go wiiiider!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:37 AM

:-) Have you had any luck finding custom wheel makers for the deep zero offset? I know there are a handful of places that will custom CNC machine wheels to your design, but I have no idea what they charge. I'm guessing it's very expensive.
Dave
Old 06-14-2006, 01:37 PM

No, I'm keeping these wheels for now. My next step is removing the BLUE PAINT from the spokes. Back in my younger, dumber days I painted them blue, to match pinstripes (which I removed years ago). My father just began a new business soda blasting. I'm going to have him shoot my wheels back to shiny new! But I am still looking for 225 60 14 tires...
Old 06-19-2006, 03:13 PM

How's this for an option... has anyone successfully converted an S30 to a 5 lug orientation? either through adapters or changing everything out? I've got a set of 15" Momo 5 stars, but they're 5 lug... They would look awesome on my car.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:34 AM

There are some kits around for that. Nice, quality parts, but of course not a small-dollar upgrade. Might be what you're looking for, though:
http://www.modern-motorsports.com/ca...05ddaf552ba7d1
Dave
Old 06-20-2006, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the link! I think I'll keep that option as Plan B, cleaning my present wheels being Plan A. $550 seems like a lot for the conversion, but I hear that's cheaper than on other cars...