ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-126/)
-   -   260z Coilover questions and opinions! (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-126/260z-coilover-questions-opinions-38658/)

JDMFairladyz 10-21-2013 06:07 PM

260z Coilover questions and opinions!

Hey guys, new to the forum...I have a 1974 240z I just bought and I got wheels, fender flares, and now looking for coilovers. Everything I read that's reasonably priced seems like it needs fabrication. I like the ground control but what do I actually have to do to make them work...Overall looking for my best option in the $600 and under range. I don't really care about the handling and performance aspect, I just want to go low!! Help will be appreciated:) Thanks

romanjr 10-31-2013 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As far as I know there are four options.

The Mckinney setup which I have good and bad things from. Some people don't like the ride, others haven't had a good experience with customer service, and I believe you have to notch the bottom of the hood so it doesn't hit the top of the strut because they stick out a bit and won't let the hood close. You have to weld to your spindle. I think they run like 1300.

Ground Controls run like $450 plus the cost of cutting off the stock spring perch and welding a new seat for the collar, unless you can cut and weld yourself. I asked a couple shops because I thought about doing it and welding was $100 for all four if I cut the spring perch off and gave it to them ready to weld. For this you need to do some research and figure out how much to cut and where to weld the new seat. Then you would have to buy new struts because the stock ones would be too long. Some people run MR2 struts because they work and are shorter than the stock z's. So thats another $200. Best case scenario, if you can cut, weld, and mock everything up you're looking at 650-700 if not then its about $1000. Keep in mind this isn't a true coil over setup in the sense that the lower you go the less travel you have because the strut it being compressed. IMO I like being low too, but I would rather spend more to be low and ride smooth.

Techno Toy Tunning would be the only one that requires no welding and bolts right up but its $2000 and come with new spindles. Should be easy install but its pricey.

Finally, the last setup that probably no one else has is mine. I just had my coilovers installed. Its a new setup that was put together at Sakura Garage here in Tempe, AZ. It was put together all from Stance Suspension, they make a lot of stuff for 240sx and what not. Greg, the owner, basically measured everything up and decided to make his own set up. It retails for $1500 and comes ready for you to weld to spindles.