ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z Appearance Exterior, Interior (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-appearance-exterior-interior-127/)
-   -   insulation thread (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-appearance-exterior-interior-127/insulation-thread-25600/)

thetremendousti 05-04-2008 01:34 AM

insulation thread

What is the square footage of a 2+2 I want to insulate the floors, trunk, doors, and side panels. I'm buying some edead v1SE^2 or whatever, and you buy by the square foot. If i'm going to double coat it, how much should I order?

thetremendousti 05-04-2008 03:27 PM

help me please!

NismoPick 05-04-2008 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by thetremendousti
What is the square footage of a 2+2

Ever heard of a measuring tape? Or a ruler? Or a yardstick?

entropy31 05-04-2008 09:13 PM

or a meter stick?

thats right, i went there!

thetremendousti 05-04-2008 10:04 PM

oh......i thought someone might know off the top of their head.

260zturbo 05-04-2008 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by entropy31
or a meter stick?

BURN!!!!!! (70's show)

Ratfink 05-06-2008 11:57 AM

Just a guess, but I would say that 25-30 square feet would cover it. Always buy more than you think you will need. And, just to stick it to the smart guys with their meter sticks, do you all know you're calculus good?
Because all you are going to do is guess in the first place otherwise. There is was too many conplex contours to get it.

You could call one of the companies that make the carpet, and maybe they can tell you what they use before cutting out for things like the stick shift.

Good luck.

I just Dynomat'ed my whole car, floors, headliner, doors and all. Car is still loud, but I have to repair an exhaust leak that I found.

NismoPick 05-06-2008 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ratfink
And, just to stick it to the smart guys with their meter sticks, do you all know you're calculus good?

You want us to find the area under the curve? :D Measuring Length (times) Width will get close enough to obtain a good estimate. And just like in Calculus... areas with weird curves / angles can be broken down into smaller more manageable areas.

Smart guy. :D

Ratfink 05-06-2008 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
You want us to find the area under the curve? :D Measuring Length (times) Width will get close enough to obtain a good estimate. And just like in Calculus... areas with weird curves / angles can be broken down into smaller more manageable areas.

Smart guy. :D

Exactly my point. Your are just going to estimate, or spend a long time measuring curves, angles ect. Giving people a hard time makes my day. lmao

entropy31 05-06-2008 05:52 PM

And, just to stick it to the smart guys with their meter sticks, do you all know you're calculus good?

I'm calculus good?

(you're ≠ your)

Ratfink 05-06-2008 06:00 PM

Yeah... Error in proof reading..

Would you like to debate me starting a sentance with a conjunction? hahaha

entropy31 05-06-2008 06:11 PM

Would you like to debate me starting a sentance with a conjunction? hahaha

Have you ever read the Bible? They do it all the time in there. The "never start a sentence with a conjunction" rule is not a set in stone grammar rule. Opinions on whether it is proper to do so have varied over the years. The meanings of "your" and "you're" are rather less debatable.

:D

Ratfink 05-06-2008 06:22 PM

Yes, they are indeed. I see my error. However, I am at work. I was too lazy to take the time to proof read. :thumbsup:

entropy31 05-06-2008 06:28 PM

Yes, they are indeed. I see my error. However, I am at work. I was too lazy to take the time to proof read. :thumbsup:

not a big deal, just messing around. grammar just happens to be one of my "things". when you proposed the challenge, i just had to respond for my own amusement, but all in good fun.

theramz 05-06-2008 09:30 PM

You can just round it off because it comes by whatever size pads they offer not by the square inch. The roof will be a piece 4x4. The floor is 6x10. The sides (2) are 2x6. What you have left you can piece in the nooks and crannys.

theramz 05-07-2008 09:41 AM

I went to Eastwood to check and HushMat is about $6-$8 a square foot. F*** that! You can get jewt mat for a lot less and it works good. Not much noise comes in the roof anyway.

Ratfink 05-07-2008 11:24 AM

I recommend using a sound deadening material in places like the roof and in the doors. No, sound does not come through it so much, as it is reverberated on it like a drum.

Dynamat works well. It is a thin heavy material that resists movement through it's inertness. Almost like a sticky tar. Much like what OEM uses on most new cars to deaden road noise.

Bleach 05-07-2008 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by entropy31
grammar just happens to be one of my "things".

And, your a freakin genius over their!

theramz 05-07-2008 12:18 PM

I recommend using a sound deadening material in places like the roof and in the doors. No, sound does not come through it so much, as it is reverberated on it like a drum.

Dynamat works well. It is a thin heavy material that resists movement through it's inertness. Almost like a sticky tar. Much like what OEM uses on most new cars to deaden road noise.

If you deaden the floor, firewall, tailight panel and rear wheel house there won't be much reverb. You can't do anything about the glass.

Ratfink 05-07-2008 12:56 PM

True, but it will still amplify sounds that are present. It is noticeable. Just depends on how far you want to go.

raythenegr0 05-08-2008 06:50 AM

No ruler?

It's okay, I have one now I can point fingers and laugh.

Bleach 05-08-2008 08:08 AM

You'll always be known as the kid who couldn't afford a ruler.

Mhinrichs 05-08-2008 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bleach
You'll always be known as the kid who couldn't afford a ruler.

Ruler poverty is no joke. Every man, women, and child should have a ruler. Perhaps we should all donate $.28 a day to provide this to everyone in the world. It would take like 4 days.

snwbrderphat540 05-08-2008 12:05 PM

yeah all that sound deadening crap is to heavy, i said ef it in the 260 only a small section (under the driver and pass seats) has sound deadaning. its all a giant joke any who. lol

Poindexter 05-08-2008 12:38 PM

I'm encountering the exact same problem with my 2/71 240Z- finding out the footage for buying one of the sound-deadening products.

I just got out a flexible tape-measure of the type usually used in clothing measurements...although using some plain string, then measuring it out might work just as well. It follows the contours perfectly.

After much research I found one of the products that's only around $1 per sq. ft. so I'm wrapping the whole inside tub from beltline to beltline, from firewall to hatch. I'm obviously not worried about adding a few pounds, but I do want to rid myself of the inevitable rattling and road noise penetrating the floor.