Vegas 350Z Club Where its all about Sin City and the 350Z..

Buying a sport bike for the time being...

Old 05-11-2007, 11:53 AM

Buying a sport bike for the time being...

Does anyone have any recomendations on a sport bike for a newb... Something that isn't so powerful, I will go crazy... But something I can still have a good time...?

And where in town is a good place to look? I am gonna go check out Pat Clark's Motorsports today... Any others that are worth while?
Old 05-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Political n00b crusher

I recommend a Katana 600 (aka "Canatuna") or Ninja 500. About everyone I know started out on one of these.....I personally started out on the Canatuna. It was fun and a good learning experience and not really fast enough to get you in too much trouble.

In a year or so, you can guaduate to an R6......and then a lil later an R1!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Political n00b crusher

Originally Posted by showtypeZ
I started out on a Ninja ZX-600R years ago. The R1 is my preferred bike though for a street sportbike

Me too! I have an '04.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:56 PM

I started on my SV1000S and I love it. If you're into the naked or half naked bike look (like I am ) the SV650 or SV650S are awesome starter bikes. Plus with a little suspension work it's not likely that you'll outgrow them in a year. Plus the insurance is less tha half of what it would have been on a gixxer or something similar.

If you have to have a full fairing the Ninjas are pretty decent. There are full fairing kits for the SVs as well though. I just kinda dig the V-twin rumble.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by roneski
I started on my SV1000S and I love it. If you're into the naked or half naked bike look (like I am ) the SV650 or SV650S are awesome starter bikes. Plus with a little suspension work it's not likely that you'll outgrow them in a year. Plus the insurance is less tha half of what it would have been on a gixxer or something similar.

If you have to have a full fairing the Ninjas are pretty decent. There are full fairing kits for the SVs as well though. I just kinda dig the V-twin rumble.

That bike looks sick... Is that what you mean by half-naked? Sorry I am new to this... But yeah I like that look alot... I want a bike that I can pay off within a year, that looks good (black or gunmetal) and that doesn't try to kill me... lol...
Old 05-11-2007, 01:31 PM

Well any bike can kill you. You just have to keep in mind that the bike isn't going to do anything that you don't tell it to. As long as you ride within your limits and respect the fact that any a$$hole in a car talking on his celly not paying attention can kill you you'll probably be all right.

Yeah, that's a half naked bike because it doesn't have the full fairing covering the body like a ninja would. Here's a Katana for example.

This would be a naked bike. No fairing at all. But fundamentally the same as the S model.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Über User

yeah fairings are alll the plastics that make the bike look pretty, naked means, not fairings sept fenders and a tank and maybe a scoop for the radiator. any 600CC bike will be a good starting platform for me ive ridden and raced around on all sorts of dirt bikes quads and basically, was raised on bikes and wouldnt be caught dead on the SUB 600CC ninjas or a canatuna, hang out with bikers more and youll see how they are looked down on, however if youve never really ridden motorcycles before get a ninja 250 youll learn your balance and proper driving skills and they cant get crazy on you if you tried, sept maybe smashing the brakes. as for me, im not getting a bike no more not this year, but when i do, aka have any sort of full time job R6 all the way.

Oh yeah, and you know my friend (mike) iv;e talked about that has the R1 and 05 i think, yeah his sister rides that **** every day, and she is pretty damn decent looking, thats hawt!
Old 05-11-2007, 02:18 PM

My friend Emily, some of you probably know her from the Wednesday night meets, is probably going to be getting a SV650S. Chicks on bikes are definitely teh hawtness.

But Crabbey, if you already have your license and want to take mine for a spin to check it out just let me know.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Über User

license? psh those are for scaredy cats, so is insurance, you dont need any of that junk on a bike. lol.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:31 PM

Just tell me that don't you ride in shorts, a t-shirt and sneakers.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Über User

shorts. T shirt.... well, no somtimes, depends on whats up, quickie rides in town yeah, anything else no. and about teh license i do believe in that, lol the insurance though, im skeptical about it, insurance is good, but full coverage is damn expensive for good reason, but the liabilty is CRAP, its still expensive and you cant do nearly as much damage to other objects with a bike as you could with a car. thats my only opposition
Old 05-11-2007, 03:28 PM

Chris go big or go home bro...Yamaha YFZ-R1, lol. Perfect bike to learn on, lol.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:50 PM

i'd say learn on a 250cc, then move into the 600ccs and so forth
Old 05-11-2007, 06:28 PM

So I went out to Pat Clark's today and was looking at Ducati's and Triumph's... I gotta tell you I like their look alot better than the Japanese bikes...

For instance, this Triuph Speed Triple is sick as hell...

I also looked at the Ducati 695 in Matte black which is also very nice and in stock... I am kinda leaning toward that...

Will that be enough power to keep me happy? I am a 6'4" 195 lbs. guy... and I want to be able to ride some hunnies on the back when I get more comfortable... Any neigh-sayers?
Attached Thumbnails Buying a sport bike for the time being...-speedtriple_2007_black.jpg   Buying a sport bike for the time being...-ducati_695.jpg  

Last edited by crabbey1; 05-11-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Über User

ducati's are nice, a bit much/expensive for your first bike though.... triumph's taint bad of a choice though, and triumph makes bikes that look exactly like the japanese though. when it comes to sport bikes, gotta hand it to the japanese.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:03 PM

Ducati's are hot but they are pricey when it comes to maintenance. But if we're talking about all out hot sex nekkid bikes this is the one for me.

MV Agusta MV BRUTALE 910R

Old 05-11-2007, 07:04 PM

Regarding Duc's. DO NOT get a Duc as your first bike. First, Ducati's and Harley's are the two most expensive bikes to insure. Second, since this is your first bike... WHEN you drop it, replacement parts are going to be very expensive. Third, the 695 barely makes enough power for one person (about 65rwhp), nevermind two.

As for the Triumph's, They don't make any beginner bikes. Except for the 675, all of their bikes are liter-class bikes. Even the 675 is too much for a beginner. I speak from experience. Here's my last bike:

Anything more than 1/2 throttle in first gear had the tire pointing skyward due to the short wheelbase. Definitely not a beginner bike.

Honestly, I tell all new riders the same thing... your first bike should be a 650 dual-sport (XR650L, KLR650, DR650). Why? They get good gas mileage, won't spit you off if you hit a bump or pothole, are very cheap to fix when you crash, are great for learning the fine art of bike control (in the dirt), and when you drop it at the gas station/stop light/in your driveway the worst you'll do is break a mirror ($20) or bend a lever ($10). My first bike was a Honda NX250 dual-sport.

EDIT: spelling

Last edited by i8acobra; 05-11-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:07 PM

^^^ Knows his bikes.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:31 PM

I see what everyone is saying but that Ducati 695 is only $7500... That is comparable to most of the other bikes I have been looking up... And they say that the 07's only need serviced every 6000 miles now... so have of the servicing... Hmmm....
Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Honestly, I tell all new riders the same thing... your first bike should be a 650 dual-sport (XR650L, KLR650, DR650). Why? They get good gas mileage, won't spit you off if you hit a bump or pothole, are very cheap to fix when you crash, are great for learning the fine art of bike control (in the dirt), and when you drop it at the gas station/stop light/in your driveway the worst you'll do is break a mirror ($20) or bend a lever ($10). My first bike was a Honda NX250 dual-sport.

EDIT: spelling
Also, I understand where you are coming from and get the point. But the whole reason to get a bike is for fun and looks (for me at least)... So if I am gonna get a bike that I am not even excited to get on and ride, then what is the point...?

BUt then again, what do I know... lol...
Old 05-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Über User

ooooo augusta second time ive ever seen one lol. dual sports are awesome fun

edit: i8 that bike has a pretty short lookin wheel base. lol.

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 05-11-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by crabbey1
So I went out to Pat Clark's today and was looking at Ducati's and Triumph's... I gotta tell you I like their look alot better than the Japanese bikes...

For instance, this Triuph Speed Triple is sick as hell...

I also looked at the Ducati 695 in Matte black which is also very nice and in stock... I am kinda leaning toward that...

Will that be enough power to keep me happy? I am a 6'4" 195 lbs. guy... and I want to be able to ride some hunnies on the back when I get more comfortable... Any neigh-sayers?
buy small and live to ride a bigger bike another day, and for the passanger thing , even a 500cc bike is fine . I actually liked riding my x wife on the back of her SV650 over my R1.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:58 PM

^^^ Knows his bikes too.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:27 PM

I see what everyone is saying but that Ducati 695 is only $7500... That is comparable to most of the other bikes I have been looking up... And they say that the 07's only need serviced every 6000 miles now... so have of the servicing... Hmmm....
But the insurance is going to have the effect of making is seem like a much more expensive bike. Call your agent and get a quote on the Duc 695. Then get a quote on a Suzuki SV650 (also a twin but with 15 more HP).

Also, I understand where you are coming from and get the point. But the whole reason to get a bike is for fun and looks (for me at least)... So if I am gonna get a bike that I am not even excited to get on and ride, then what is the point...?

BUt then again, what do I know... lol...
Not saying to keep the thing forever. Just get a used one, ride it long enough to learn and then sell it for what you paid for it. Remember, that Duc isn't going to look very good with busted parts on one side.

Last edited by i8acobra; 05-11-2007 at 08:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a sport bike for the time being...