Motorsports This board is for Z Racers who compete in Autocross, Road Racing and Time Trials. Focus will be on car set up and modifications. Event coverage, and race parts for sale or trade.

new colorado track

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 10:35 AM
The Good Twin

Those are some wicked sharp & short turns!
Old 10-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Registered Zee Racer

At speed it is going to be very technical. The portions of the track i was able to drive on slowly, I couldn't get a sense of any banking, if any there might be about 2-3 degree banking. The crossovers have no banking at all.

This is definitely going to be a fun track when it opens. Unfortunately it won't have all the ammenities up right away. But our goal was to have a usable track and that's what we have. We still need money to get electricity and water along with a timing tower, the list goes on. Eventually we will rival a turn key track. This is much more than any other proposed club tracks have.

It's owned and built by 11 clubs, no outside investors to answer to.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Registered Zee Racer

Of 16k tires delivered, less than 200 are left to bolt together. All done by volunteers.

www.highplainsraceway.com

The z club of colorado has the track 2 times this year. May 23rd and Sept 12th. Sept 12 will coincide with the midwest regional zfest.

www.zccc.org
Old 03-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Registered Zee Racer

I forgot to mention, the starter stand is up and ready for the green flag. Check out pics of that and other prgress pics on the photo page.

There is a history link as well. It's amazing what the local car clubs have done along with their members and the the experience they brought with them.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Registered Zee Racer

These are comments and vids by Paul Leonard on the Generic Racing forum. He also did the sims for the track.

Keep searching for youtube links for more vids. This was just the first open lapping day. The motorcycles take to the track for the first time today with a full weekend of racing this weekend.

HPR first report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a great time at the HPR lapping day yesterday. This track is going to prove difficult to master. Figuring out the best lines won't be so hard, but actually hitting the proper braking points and apexes, and not losing your concentration during a 2' lap will be difficult.

It is very busy ... congratulate yourself on one turn, and you'll miss the next.

T1 is faster than I thought (At least 70 mph in my car). I think it can be a great place to overtake someone, or to set up an overtake entering T2.

T2 was tough for me to enter late enough. If you turn in early, you get pushed out wide and lose lots of speed exiting. It's a very long turn, and it will be proper to dive in deep and enter late, but you'll have to counter that with protecting the inside line (55-60 mph).

T3 following is also a challenge. It can be tough to see it as you leave T2, and you never quite know if you can take it flat out. I got the the point of just a sustained lift, but I think once the track improves and you can see more markings, many cars will be flat out (75 mph). The kink following is of course flat out in every car.

The straight is long, and I hit the same top speed as Pueblo (125 mph). As you brake going up the hill at the end, the apex to T4 (Bikers Berm) is very hard to see. The plastic poles they've stuck in the curbing help. I never got in close enough to this apex, which could be taken at probably 90 mph. I think I'll apply some Rogaine to my genital area before next time.

I think T5 (Niagara) can be taken WAY faster then I was going (60 mph) It has lots of camber, especially close to the apex. But again, this is tough to hit. A lot of these turns really sneak up on you. Not sure if it's the lack of markings, or the elevation, the unfamiliarity, or the general business.

T6 (Dannys Lesson) is your basic late apex, but does afford good overtaking opportunity against those not watching their mirrors. It also allows those with good cornering skills to exit much faster and gain some ground over the next long straight. 45 mph.

T7, High Plains Drifter, is pretty cool. Long, fast, cambered, sweeping uphill. I saw many folks not drive this correctly. It requires patience to enter, and you do not want to unwind when you think you've left the late apex. You'd better hang on to that turn for another second or two. 95-100 mph.

T8 surprises you after you crest the preceding hill. It's a slow turn (40 mph), but there will be lots going on as you protect the braking zone yet, till try to get set up for the Bobsled.

Speaking of which, no amount of simulation can prepare you for the descent into Hell. Your car will fell like is has 2X the horsepower as you slalom down this smoothy. 9a and 9b, although very close together, had speeds of 80 and 100 mph. The bottom turn T10 is another hair-grower. You'll have a chance to not give up any time here if you dont brake too much, but any offs will be devastating.

T11 (entering the Ladder) has a very, very late apex. Although the curbing stretches much of the length of the turn, I still apexed at the end of it. It's decreasing, uphill, with great camber, so you can get on the gas more than you realize. You enter at 50 mph and track out at 70 mph. I think this can be a creatinve passing location.

T12 is another blindy. Not much going on here. Just don't get lazy and forget to clip it.

T13, 14 and 15 .. the Corkscrew. Very very fun. It's hard to see the entrance, but set it up properly and you'll have 10 mph more exit speed than everyone else. Is a very fun left, right, left, also. You'll like to think that the cheering crowds are watching your awesome line as you head back in front of the (soon to be) grandstands. I think that you can take the 2nd and 3rd kinks flat out if you enter the first one properly.

Leaving this corkscrew is also where you leave track to enter pit lane. Be cautious of the car in front of you. If you plan a pass on the inside left, and he decides to leave the track, there could be trouble.

Finally, although the pit entrance to the track is smooth, I found it difficult to see oncoming cars. You basically join T2 right at the track out point, so if you don't see the traffic, you'll be in someone's way. I was craning my neck as much as possible, as using my mirrors as well, and still neglected to see cars at times. Maybe it's my sports racer, or whatever, but there are other cars out there with even less visibility than mine.

All in all - a great track! We can be proud of it. Hopefully we'll have more facilities in the future and it can become a national destination.

HPR videos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm lazy - these are just raw, unedited videos. But at least they are near-native quality. I took these with my Cam-FX bullet camera Friday during the lapping day at High Plains.

Weather was fantastic most of the day. Barely any breeze, and fairly warm in the morning. Pretty good turnout ... about 40-50 folks, I reckon.

The track surface is smooth as glass, and just about as slippery right now .. very green. The only rubber I saw laid down was where folks had spun. My tires really never got any heat in them, and they just came off track with a polished look.

Curbing is interesting. Only about a foot wide, with plastic poles stuck in it along it's length. By the end of the day, probably 5 or 10 of them had been destroyed. Most likely by Miata drivers, I would hazard a guess. Those guys should just enter RallyCross events and get it over with.

The track is terrific, though. Very busy, lots of techincal sections, always got to be alert. Several high speed turns .. a few which I never got the nerve to take at the limit. It will be great when it gets some rubber down and more markings.

The first ... I'm following Dan G around the track in his Spec M3.
Look closely as he enters the corkscrew and you can see him lift a tire (34 MB).
http://www.drivingforcemotorsports.c.../HPRSpecM3.wmv

Next, my Radical during one of the rare clean laps (31 MB).
http://www.drivingforcemotorsports.c...RCloudyLap.wmv

Finally, a scary moment. High Plains Drifter can be taken flat out in my car IF you enter late and don't encounter dust on the pavement. Enter early, and discover dusty roads, and prepare to leave the track at 95 mph (8 MB).
http://www.drivingforcemotorsports.c...DrifterOff.wmv
Old 04-08-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm a Registered User!

Wow that looks like a blast!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Registered Zee Racer

The z club has a couple of days at the track. So mark your calender.

Saturday may 23rd and Saturday sept 12th.

For more info check the zccc newsletter the Odometer.

www.zccc.org
Old 11-22-2012, 07:50 AM

Hey beautiful road map specially i liked round shaped awesome track racing lines also track tours of the HPR site are become more popular.